Sun Rims S-Type Spokes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Sun Rims S-Type Spokes

Hey guys, I recently destroyed a few parts on my Kona Stinky, the derailleur and the derailleur hanger are both pretty simple to find and replace but the one thing that I'm having trouble finding are replacement spokes for my Sun Rims S-Type MTX wheels. One is completely smashed, and two others are decently bent. What I was wondering is where I can buy replacement spokes online, and if there are certain length spokes that I'll need, how to measure the ones that I will need. And one last thing, do you guys think that I should possibly just upgrade the spokes now that some are already broken? Thanks in advance for any help that you guys can provide.
    RIDE

mtbr member
    Calculating spoke length is a pain in the a$$. I suggest you take your bent spokes to a local shop and have them fab up some spokes for you instead (they'll be the same gauge and length). If you intend to upgrade spokes (not necessary in my opinion), that means a full re-lace/wheel build. If you have access to a nice truing stand, a dish tool, tensiometer and infinite patience, then have at it. Or you could pay someone to do it... good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m. View Post
    Calculating spoke length is a pain in the a$$. I suggest you take your bent spokes to a local shop and have them fab up some spokes for you instead (they'll be the same gauge and length). If you intend to upgrade spokes (not necessary in my opinion), that means a full re-lace/wheel build. If you have access to a nice truing stand, a dish tool, tensiometer and infinite patience, then have at it. Or you could pay someone to do it... good luck.
    That is a good idea, the only problem though is that I live in an area that is pretty sparse in terms of good bike shops, upstate New York haha. There is a bike shop in town that deals xc and road bikes but I'm not sure that they'd even know what to do, or if they would be able to fab them. If I could buy the spokes online that would definitely be the best option, I'm just having a tough time knowing what to get or where to get them.
    RIDE

Members who have read this thread: 0