Suggestions on how not to kill yourself on rock gardens?- Mtbr.com
    Gnarbot rider

Suggestions on how not to kill yourself on rock gardens?

y'know, recently ive been riding in some gnarbot rocky trails in la jolla and they own me like a frikken slave. anybody got some magic moves up their sleeves in order to dominate the piles of homicidal rocks?
    "Who wants a body massage?"

soviet pride
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott the Biker
    y'know, recently ive been riding in some gnarbot rocky trails in la jolla and they own me like a frikken slave. anybody got some magic moves up their sleeves in order to dominate the piles of homicidal rocks?
    my tip is to lean back slightly on the bike...

question: where in la jolla is this, cause i live in encinitas and id love to go ride some new trails.
    im all about midget drops

Gnarbot rider

sorry

I know to keep weight off the front, sorry for not clarifying that I knew the basics. I just wanted some pointers on how to clean difficult sections. i am not sure if im allowed to reveal the location as of yet, seeing as there was some guy named kalan riding there.

kona-tize me captain
    stay loose and pay attention, mainly stay focussed.pick the cleanest lines through the trails.
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

Gnarbot rider
    you guys might know my brother, coma13, so if you want to ride with him, youre probably gonna ride with me too

mtbr member
    air over all rock gardens like so.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    -Faster is better
    -Stay loose, dont deathgrip the handlebars
    -Jump the big ones.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

N* Bomber Crew
    It all depends on the rock garden's size...and steepness. If they're small point and shoot with loose arms and legs...stay focused. If humongous boulders (Cough...Northstar) then I usually weave through them. Trying to ride over them....usualyl DOESNT work out (Took me ONCE to learn that)
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    yeah definetly dont deathgrip handlebars or your hands will be sore as hell

Gnarbot rider
    i think i may be doing the deathgrips because i ride dirtbikes. when you have a couple horsepower pulling away from you, holding on the bars is a task, but with dh bikes i see that theres a lot less pulling

TNC
    noMAD man
    Look for a path. That may sound crazy at first, but there always seems to be a less "pointy" line through a rock garden. Obviously you shouldn't be steering and changing course all over the place while trying to hit this smoother and flatter part of the garden, because you want to maintain decent momentum, but try to hit the less jagged and jumbled rock whenever possible. You have to look some distance ahead to plan your move and look for this "better" line through a garden. Also look for the places on the line through the garden that appear to be more settled into the ground or dirt. These are usually more firm to support the bike without constantly trying to roll and shoot out from beneath your tires.

You already are aware of proper positioning on the bike. Maintain as much momentum as possible in as high a gear as possible. Trying to pick that line I described lets you pedal through the garden a little better without worry of banging crank arms into rocks that are sticking up. When you can't avoid the areas with the taller rocks, time your pedal strokes to avoid rock contact. Try to do as much course alteration by leaning rather than cranking on the bar. Turning the bar very much in rock gardens is asking for the front wheel to catch a rock at a bad angle and causing a train wreck.

Now...throw some water on those rocks to make it really interesting...LOL!

Glad to Be Alive
    tuck down low......concentrate on breating (so you are not holding your breath and freezing up) use the brakes as less as possible....keep your speed
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Hahahahaha yeah Scott! You coulda just asked me in person ya know! There's a lot of good advice in this thread, basically you just need to keep momentum, keep your center of gravity low, and let the bike feed itself through the path of least resistance.
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I have one sacred rule of trail riding:
    THOU SHALT NOT DAB!....
    When goin fast and you see a hairy section coming up, compress the bike and let it rebound just before the rocks. Get your weight slightly back and "float" over it. Your natural reaction will be to get on the brakes but you can roll over things you would never expect.
    I do alot of technical trail riding (ok, that's about all I do) and I use my brakes alot when traversing extremely hairy sections- with short drops, ledges, etc where you have to pick your way down. You can use your brakes to stall, load you bike, and "spring" over obstacles.
    Funny, everyone gets all amped about big drops, but a 3 footer from a standtill to a stalled landing is a hell'uva lot harder.
    If you really want to learn to ride tech, you need to go ride with Hoser in Chula Vista. That dude was my mentor when we lived in SD...he's nearly fifty and will still kick your ass.

BGR / MCM #311

Do it like this dude....

I think he's a pro or something ...and teaches the rock garden deficiant great technique...

His best advice to me concerning rock gardens was: walk the line before you hit it (if you can), hit it with SPEED, keep your ass back, your arms loose, and allow the bike to move under you while you keep your torso vertical....he calls this "bike/body seperation". Also, slide your brake levers in so that you're braking with your index fingers ONLY..this keeps the middle fingers on the bars for better control.

Visit his site...he's gotta be one of the coolest most approachable pros I've ever met:
    mad march racing
    Boogers and Birthdays....the more you have...the harder it is to breath

Now with flavor!!
    Look at your exit, not your front wheel, maintain some momentum and keep your suspension squishy.

I love watching people go flying through rocks and you never see their swingarms move on a 9 inch travel bike..

bpuodt
    You totally have to use the bike like a snowboard or ski. Whip it all over the place to keep you body in one spot, don't fight the bike and through your body around trying to keep the bike upright.
    EYE HAM SOFA KING WE TODD ID.

Glad to Be Alive
    THAT ROCK GARDEN YOU JUMP OVER

Quote Originally Posted by fireboy
    I think he's a pro or something ...and teaches the rock garden deficiant great technique...

:
    mad march racing
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    my thoughts exactly.

bpuodt
    Not even a rock garden. IMO a rock garden has to be over 50 feet long, or long enough that it can't be manualed or jumped.

THAT sir, is a rock PLANTER BOX!

Rock garden are for men, planter boxxes are for old ladies in retirement homes..
    EYE HAM SOFA KING WE TODD ID.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot Chicken
    Not even a rock garden. IMO a rock garden has to be over 50 feet long, or long enough that it can't be manualed or jumped.

THAT sir, is a rock PLANTER BOX!

Rock garden are for men, planter boxxes are for old ladies in retirement homes..
    Not to mention that planter box is full of nice, round rocks. I've never seen rocks that round on a trail around here.

izumusx988
    speed is your friend if you go to slow you wheels will get cought up and you with speed it is easier to balance on your bike
    -Rob

Northeast Sovereign racing - Morewood bikes-maxxis-hayes-e13

Gnarbot rider
    thanks for the tips. ill try using some of these techniques next time i ride some gnarbot trails

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    Not to mention that planter box is full of nice, round rocks. I've never seen rocks that round on a trail around here.

that is just a cobblestone highway

New project, TBA shortly
    1) Lean back
    2) Unweight the front end
    3) Go faster
    4) Close your eyes

(ok, maybe not #4)

Sedona, Az USA
    Angel Fire's (new mexico) "rock garden" is no freekin joke. Actually it is a lava field. Im looking for a shot of the race course now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Quote Originally Posted by M1_joel
    Angel Fire's (new mexico) "rock garden" is no freekin joke. Actually it is a lava field. Im looking for a shot of the race course now.
    Holy hell! I can only imagine the amount of tires, rims, and wheels that thing has claimed over the seasons.

I just hold on and scream the whole way down.

yeah sliding back, keeping your knees apart, and arms nice and loose allows the bike
    to move under you. and yes... momentum.. I try not to use the front brakes TOO much or the bike could just catch and slide out.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikepinkbikes
    my tip is to lean back slightly on the bike...

question: where in la jolla is this, cause i live in encinitas and id love to go ride some new trails.
    He is totally tripping... He's talking about Ted Weezy, most specifically the trail Insanity, which is nowhere near La Jolla. I'm not sure where he got that idea.

Sedona, Az USA
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    Holy hell! I can only imagine the amount of tires, rims, and wheels that thing has claimed over the seasons.
    Found one. And its a cool little kiddo named Madison.

Glad to Be Alive
    that ain't no trail....insane

Glad to Be Alive
    Full hell....mad props on riding that...he is real small too

Found one. And its a cool little kiddo named Madison.

izumusx988
    Diablo has a few trails that look like that, fun stuff
    -Rob

Sedona, Az USA
    yeah, they routed all the UCI pros around the lava field for the World Cup race that was there this summer. pvssies!

mtbr member
    Hey, im from LJ, what rock gardens are you talking about, the only thing i can think of is prolly Soledad trail.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    all i can say is Diablo and Ripper

izumusx988
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox787
    all i can say is Diablo and Ripper
    yep thats it, just add tree's and turns to that lava field
    -Rob

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by vpjackal989
    yep thats it, just add tree's and turns to that lava field
    and make the rocks a whole lot bigger. That looks like gravel compared to ripper.

Sedona, Az USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Banzai
    and make the rocks a whole lot bigger. That looks like gravel compared to ripper.
    Ive been to Diablo and although it is tough, i'd say Angel Fire is tougher because: #1 it is at altitude and #2 the rocks,on Alpha Line, start at the top and don't end until about 4 minutes into your run with the Lava field being the last section before you get into the single track. Kinda like Diablo in that the whole upper part of the course is kicking your ass until you get out and into the open fast sections.

But unlike Diablo, the fastest Ive seen the local "freek of nature" pros get down alpha line is 6 minutes flat, experts are high 6's and into the sevens, Sport riders are 8+ minutes. It's a big grueling mountain but TONS of fun.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Quote Originally Posted by RuNDmC1087
    Hey, im from LJ, what rock gardens are you talking about, the only thing i can think of is prolly Soledad trail.....
    He's mistaken. He's talking about the Ted Williams trails. I don't know where he got the idea that he was in La Jolla when he was in Poway.

Freeriding Feline

Love That Pic

It's on my fridge...
    Wasn't it in Decline?
    And yes...
    Diablo + Ripper = ouch
    Last edited by SuperKat; 11-29-2005 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Addition
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

Members who have read this thread: 0