"stupid" question for the tech guys- Mtbr.com
    Magic Man

"stupid" question for the tech guys

I have an 888 with Risse crowns. I run a 50mm Race Face Diab... instead of the standard issue Marz 70mm direct mount stem. The race face stem is not direct mount, so therefore does not bolt directly on to the top crown. It has to be properly aligned and clamped to the steerer like most stems.
    My problem/question is that my stem will not fasten to the steer tube snug enough to stay straight. I have the bolts as tight as they'll go without causing damage. No matter what I try, the stem/bars shift everytime I ride now.

Anybody know what's up?
    She said "No, you're wrong." I said "You got a lumpy butt." She got mad at me and yelled at me and I pissed in my pants and I never did change my pee-pants all day. I'm still sittin' in my dirty pee-pants.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by likestocrash
    I have an 888 with Risse crowns. I run a 50mm Race Face Diab... instead of the standard issue Marz 70mm direct mount stem. The race face stem is not direct mount, so therefore does not bolt directly on to the top crown. It has to be properly aligned and clamped to the steerer like most stems.
    My problem/question is that my stem will not fasten to the steer tube snug enough to stay straight. I have the bolts as tight as they'll go without causing damage. No matter what I try, the stem/bars shift everytime I ride now.

Anybody know what's up?
    2 things I can think of

1) not a long enough steer tube

2) Your Star nut is slipping (most likely the problem)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    2 things I can think of

Had a similar prob with super t's years ago and ended up getting a head loc. Sorted the prob anI now swear by them.
    "for a hill they would kill why, they do not know"

Now with flavor!!

Why would that have anything to do with it?

Stem bolts keep the thing straight.........

I had a problem with a cheap-o azonic stem doing this on my jump bike. I cut a very small shim out of a soda can (I used sprite......this is very important) and it snugged up better. I had the bolts so tight on the stem I stripped out one of the holes and had to helicoil it.......but it works now. I thing the stem was just a tad to large of a diameter for the steerer.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo

you are right but sometimes the star nut too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Former Noob Herder
    you are right but sometimes the star nut too
    the point is, if your star nut is keeping your bars tight, then theres a real problem there
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Magic Man

Good job! Shim

I had a problem with a cheap-o azonic stem doing this on my jump bike. I cut a very small shim out of a soda can (I used sprite......this is very important) and it snugged up better. I had the bolts so tight on the stem I stripped out one of the holes and had to helicoil it.......but it works now. I thing the stem was just a tad to large of a diameter for the steerer.
    Using an aluminum can is a great idea. I was trying to think of something to use as a shim and that didn't even cross my mind. Because I even swithched stems and still had the same problem. I think my steer tube dia. is a little shy (both stems do not fit snug).

Thanks...I'll go myself a Sprite right now.
    She said "No, you're wrong." I said "You got a lumpy butt." She got mad at me and yelled at me and I pissed in my pants and I never did change my pee-pants all day. I'm still sittin' in my dirty pee-pants.

Magic Man
    2 things I can think of

-Steer tube clears top bolt...just shy of being flush

-I'm running a Headlocker

mtbr member
    -Steer tube clears top bolt...just shy of being flush

-I'm running a Headlocker
    Will the Marz direct bolt on work with your Risse's ?? If so I'd say scrap the stem...direct bolt on is rock solid and always straight.
    You have bleed with Wallace.....now bleed with me!

Now with flavor!!
    When I had my problem, it was definitely the entire interface, both the stem and the steerer tube were pretty worked from multiple crashes and twists. It could be the same with yours, not really the stem or steerer exclusively but both. If it's doing it with two stems, it seems the steerer is definitely worn. I eventually got another stem anyway that had 3 clamp bolts. Replacing a diabolus stem is not an easy thing to do though.....emotionally and financially.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 08-19-2005 at 08:37 AM.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo13
    Will the Marz direct bolt on work with your Risse's ??
    yes, the zocchi direct bolt on will work with risse lowering crowns.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Your Risse steerer tube is probably undersized. We have not had any problems with the Diabolous stems slipping under normal circumstances, and an undersized steerer is the most likely culprit. It only had to be mismachined by about 5/1000 (or more, of course) to cause a poor interface and slippage. Get some digital calipers, measure it up, and call Risse to verify that your steerer is the right diameter. If it's not, they should send you a replacement with the right measurements.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

Magic Man

Thank you!

When I had my problem, it was definitely the entire interface, both the stem and the steerer tube were pretty worked from multiple crashes and twists. It could be the same with yours, not really the stem or steerer exclusively but both. If it's doing it with two stems, it seems the steerer is definitely worn. I eventually got another stem anyway that had 3 clamp bolts. Replacing a diabolus stem is not an easy thing to do though.....emotionally and financially.
    Much appreciated

Magic Man
    Quote Originally Posted by James @ Go-Ride
    Your Risse steerer tube is probably undersized. We have not had any problems with the Diabolous stems slipping under normal circumstances, and an undersized steerer is the most likely culprit. It only had to be mismachined by about 5/1000 (or more, of course) to cause a poor interface and slippage. Get some digital calipers, measure it up, and call Risse to verify that your steerer is the right diameter. If it's not, they should send you a replacement with the right measurements.
    Yeah...I know it's not the stem, cuz I own 3 of them. They all fit the same way on my Risse steerer. I call Risse and get to the bottom of it.

Thanks for everybody's input!

Now with flavor!!
    Yeah...I know it's not the stem, cuz I own 3 of them. They all fit the same way on my Risse steerer. I call Risse and get to the bottom of it.

Thanks for everybody's input!
    Yeah I think James may be on to something there.

Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz

Steer tubes...

Quote Originally Posted by James @ Go-Ride
    I would guarantee the steerer is undersized. It would be interesting to know if Risse is getting their steerers from someone or if they are making their own. It would be just like them to make their own, and that would worry me, personally. I know what steerers are used on the Go-Ride crowns, and that's a good reason to get a Go-ride one instead, among other reasons.

In fact, when I was talking to Rob (he makes the Go-Ride Lowride crowns), he mentioned that Marzocchi's stock steertubes are slightly oversized just a bit, and that also makes a pretty big difference. I was looking at my 888 stock steertube, and it is actually anodized, which adds a little thickness to it.
    This election is like a turd in a bag on your porch... whether its a blue bag or a red bag, it's still a turd on your porch.

Members who have read this thread: 0