stuck in a rut.- Mtbr.com

Thread: stuck in a rut.

mtbr member
    May 2011

stuck in a rut.

Aight guys...in serious need of some opinions. I can't decide so I need your help. Stuck between the specialized pitch pro and the specialized big hit 1. circumstance:

going to be pretty much riding every weekend on a dh resort..but occasionally wont be able to make it so I would still like to be able to ride around my local trails, hence why I'm considering the pitch. Only thing is I'm really going to be dh mostly...and even racing. So should i suck it up and pedddle my 40pound big hit occasionally, or get the pitch?...like I said, I'm really going to be doing mostly downhill but it would be nice to chill and just ride trails occasionally. I just don't know if the pitch could really handle the abuse I want to give. Both are awesome bikes but I just dont know how the pitch would fair. What would you guys do? thanks!

or even the big hit 2
    Last edited by hertigen; 08-08-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Moose Member
    bighit, or a 7'' travel freeride bike....

sx trail or giant faith or maybe the new kona entourage? IF you're racing DH and up there every weekend you might want to look into a full DH bike though.

brake later, pedal sooner
    pitch will suck more for downhill than the big hit will suck for pedaling.

so, get the big hit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Whats your budget? If you can stretch it a bit, maybe you could find 2 used bikes for not much more than 1 new bike. Then you would have a bike for both types of riding you want to do..

mtbr member
    May 2011
    yeah I'm kinda of leaning towards the big hit...I'm really not trying to spend more than 2500 to 3000usd...which is why i cant really get a full blown down hill...i think the big hit has enough travel for now...any other freeride bikes you guys suggest?...i was looking at some others but seems you really cant beat the price specialized is giving

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf View Post
    pitch will suck more for downhill than the big hit will suck for pedaling.

so, get the big hit.
    I am with this guy
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Mountain Dew enthusiest
    Scott Votage FR20 or FR30 are some other good options. Adjustable rear travel. The 20 might be better for DH but the if you got the 30, you would practically have enough to get a used trail bike for when you aren't riding at the resorts
    wishes Iowa had mountains

'11 Transition Bottlerocket frankenbuild
    '09 Origin-8 Interrogator frankenbuild
    '80 Rumme

mtbr member

1 choice

The Enduro is all you need, this bike can do anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "It's all downhill from here fellas"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtChump View Post
    The Enduro is all you need, this bike can do anything.
    Agreed. I love mine so much that I dont even ride my DH bike that much.
    People make me mad...

C__Corax
    Sep 2009
    enduro or sxTrail.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    once again im not really trying to spend over 2500 to 3000...i do like the enduro tho....sx trail is to pricey

C__Corax
    Sep 2009
    look into the used market? I was watching a 2011 sxt on ebay go for under 2500!!! lots of deals on the older style frames too! take your time and buy something you want!

mtbr member

Price

You can snag a new Enduro for $2700.

Or you can find a nice used one for around $1900.
    "It's all downhill from here fellas"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    so the enduro is that much better than the pitch? I read the geometry is a bit different and components...from what I'm gathering the enduro is leaned more towards the downhill?....but also able to climb well...keep the opinions rolling thanks guys!

Moose Member
    If you are going to be racing then i would highly reccomned that you dont get a bike that is "all mountain, leaned a little bit more towards DH, but still All Mountain..."

If i were you i'd get a "Freeride" or Downhill" bike.... 7" minimum for races IMO...

Bighit with single crown is how i'd go if i was you...

if you could percent your DH riding vs Trail riding how would you do it? like 80% DH and 20% trail?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    if it was up to me...it would be 100% downhill...but where i live, theres just not anywhere close enough to ride everyday or even much during the week...my closest dh park is sugar mountain north carolina..which is about a 2 1/2 hour drive..i live in thomasville near greensboro/highpoint area...if anyone lives near me and knows any places to ride closer that might would help my decision...but right now..its looking like maybe a 65 or 70% downhill....maybe i can find a big ass hill near home and build a course..lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Get a DH or 7" freeride bike. Find something either with an un-interrupted seat tube or maybe buy a telescopic seat post. I'd much rather enjoy the DH and push my limits there and suffer a bit more on the pedaling than the other way round. I have both a DH and 7" freeride bike and I'm amazed at the difference even between those two. Anything less you can ride downhill on and have fun, but it wouldn't really be "racing" unless they have a separate class for ya.

PS I scored a Norco Team DH from Whistler where everything was brand new except for fork/shock for a bit over $2500. If you look around there's deals to be had in your price range even for a full DH rig.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    yeah..I'm really digging the big hit...but I don't want to regret it and find I cant get up to the mountains as much as I'd like and be stuck with a heavy bike to peddle around...I wish there was some close by places I knew of..cant find any tho

Think I can make that?
    Oct 2005
    Don't forget to check out Giants, the Faith or the ReignX may be up your alley. With the bike shops having their season ending sales, you'll easily hit your 2500-3000 budget.

If you are going to be spending almost every weekend at the bike park, you should get a more freeride oriented bike, You'll be replacing a few parts pretty quick on a bike like the pitch (namely the wheelset and those get spendy).

and lastly - Its all about the down. I'll suffer a little more to make the down that much more enjoyable.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hertigen View Post
    if it was up to me...it would be 100% downhill...but where i live, theres just not anywhere close enough to ride everyday or even much during the week...my closest dh park is sugar mountain north carolina..which is about a 2 1/2 hour drive..i live in thomasville near greensboro/highpoint area...if anyone lives near me and knows any places to ride closer that might would help my decision...but right now..its looking like maybe a 65 or 70% downhill....maybe i can find a big ass hill near home and build a course..lol
    Yeah Snowshoe and Windrock are both right at 5 1/2 hours away from you. Sugar is smaller with really only 2 trails.I suggest you move

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane View Post
    Yeah Snowshoe and Windrock are both right at 5 1/2 hours away from you. Sugar is smaller with really only 2 trails.I suggest you move
    move somewhere else or just closer to snow shoe...and have you been there? how are the trials and how long are they?

banned
    move somewhere else or just closer to snow shoe...and have you been there? how are the trials and how long are they?
    A lot of the trails are short on the basin side with the longer ones on the western territory side.They have 3 or 4 double black diamond trails and lower hareball is as rough as you want.

I was at Snowshoe this weekend, here's me and a buddy hitting the road gap.
    <object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p1qfIv5T4qM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p1qfIv5T4qM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane View Post
    A lot of the trails are short on the basin side with the longer ones on the western territory side.They have 3 or 4 double black diamond trails and lower hareball is as rough as you want.

I was at Snowshoe this weekend, here's me and a buddy hitting the road gap.
    <object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p1qfIv5T4qM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p1qfIv5T4qM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    well maybe your the one who can help me out the most then since you ride where i would be....do you think a bike like the new pitch or enduro could handle trails at snowshoe occasionally?....i know my post is about racing and tying to get to snowshoe every weekend....but thats probly not likely as much as id like it to be...and during the off season im going to want to ride..s i dont want to be stuck with a heavy bike year round....so in your opinion you think the pitch or enduro could handle some pretty regular abuse there? thanks man

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Check out the Go-Ride link at the top, yeti and Quervo* DH bikes for right about your range... or call em up and see what they can do. They're good guys
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

mtbr member
    May 2011
    what do you guys think about the 2011 sx trail?.....i think i read somewhere it weighed in at 36 pounds..possibly good enough for trail riding when im not at the park?

mtbr member
    I ride a 08 and will be rocking a 2011 as soon as I can. I ride it way more than my dh bike and hammer rocks and drops.
    My vote says look for a sx, it rips downhill isn't too bad pedalling up and turns amazing. Pulled a big 2 wheel power drift in the rocks tonight put a rock through the center of the tread and dented the center of the rim. Pulled out with a flat rear and not once did it feel too out of control.

Alot of good bikes this is just my .02
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew View Post
    I ride a 08 and will be rocking a 2011 as soon as I can. I ride it way more than my dh bike and hammer rocks and drops.
    My vote says look for a sx, it rips downhill isn't too bad pedalling up and turns amazing. Pulled a big 2 wheel power drift in the rocks tonight put a rock through the center of the tread and dented the center of the rim. Pulled out with a flat rear and not once did it feel too out of control.

Alot of good bikes this is just my .02
    nice man! so not to bad on the climbs huh?....also post your pics if you can!

mtbr member
    Climbs aren't bad the seat sits a smidge back but it rips for fr dh and I ride it up bigger stuff no real issues.
    I've riod alot of bikes and by far this is one of the most fun ones I've ridden I will be keeping it. I have stayed dh/fr specific come from a mx background and found specific bikes fit different arenas but this one fits alot of them and does it well. Kind of a jack of all trades that can be dialed for mini dh/fr or all mountain.

Sits 34 lbs

Last edited by bullcrew; 08-10-2011 at 07:14 AM.
    My Sponsor House

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew View Post
    Climbs aren't bad the seat sits a smidge back but it rips for fr dh and I ride it up bigger stuff no real issues.
    I've riod alot of bikes and by far this is one of the most fun ones I've ridden I will be keeping it. I have stayed dh/fr specific come from a mx background and found specific bikes fit different arenas but this one fits alot of them and does it well. Kind of a jack of all trades that can be dialed for mini dh/fr or all mountain.

Sits 34 lbs
    wow super clean dude...very nice! and 34 pounds?...not to shabby

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    For the full blown Downhill, Giant's lower end Glory will be selling for right around $3100 this year.

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    Jenson's got Flatline Pros for around 2700. I just picked one up.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

KoNa KiD
    Apr 2007
    maybe an intense ss1 or 2?
    Pedalshop
    Transition Bike Co.

dont touch the dirt

Now with More Wood
    I found the perfect solution to this problem - given that I am only "allowed" 1 bike. Morewood Zama - 7" mini-DH/FR bike, can be built anyway you want, very close to your price range too (new frame with a budget build...maybe a couple of used parts...). I run mine with a Boxxer, and 2 chainrings up front for climbing. The geo is not all that bad for pedalling (straight seat tube, with a decent enough angle to get your seat close to a good pedalling position). It also pedals really well for a 7" bike, very little pedal bob if any. Still got a nice and slack HA and reasonably low BB (there is an adjustable main pivot option called XPI for $50 on this frame to get it even lower), good fun for DH/FR fun. Back from a week in the Alps riding lift-access DH in horrible weather, with rutted out trails everywhere, I did not feel underbiked I can tell you that much. A week later I took the same bike on a 20k mile XC ride.

Definitely better to be comfortable on the DH side, and suffer a bit when pedalling. The Enduro is a nice bike, but for beating on every weekend on the lifts....not so sure...give yourself a bit of margin with something sturdier.

Here she is:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stuck in a rut.-zama_june_7_2011.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058 View Post
    I found the perfect solution to this problem - given that I am only "allowed" 1 bike. Morewood Zama - 7" mini-DH/FR bike, can be built anyway you want, very close to your price range too (new frame with a budget build...maybe a couple of used parts...). I run mine with a Boxxer, and 2 chainrings up front for climbing. The geo is not all that bad for pedalling (straight seat tube, with a decent enough angle to get your seat close to a good pedalling position). It also pedals really well for a 7" bike, very little pedal bob if any. Still got a nice and slack HA and reasonably low BB (there is an adjustable main pivot option called XPI for $50 on this frame to get it even lower), good fun for DH/FR fun. Back from a week in the Alps riding lift-access DH in horrible weather, with rutted out trails everywhere, I did not feel underbiked I can tell you that much. A week later I took the same bike on a 20k mile XC ride.

Definitely better to be comfortable on the DH side, and suffer a bit when pedalling. The Enduro is a nice bike, but for beating on every weekend on the lifts....not so sure...give yourself a bit of margin with something sturdier.

Here she is:
    nice..you know how much it weighs?

mtbr member
    I am with BullCrew on this one. I have an SXT (09) Totemed up as well as a DHer and the SXT gets the most use. You can ride the DH although rock gardens are not as fast and still hit all the drops and gaps. I also live in Western NC and like mentioned above the enduro is a nice ride but would be easly over its realm on a black diamond DH trail. I have not yet rode it at Snowshoe or Windrock but I am sure I could ride pretty much everything on it as well. Tried it out at Sugar a few weeks ago and it was fine. I would also recommend a SC Bullit. Tough as nails plenty of travel and can be built light.

mtbr member
    The SXT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stuck in a rut.-sxt.jpg  

Now with More Wood
    nice..you know how much it weighs?
    About 38.5lbs with 2-ply Minions running tubes with no flat gunk. Wheels aren't too heavy (550g rims on Hope Pro 2, although, the spokes are heavy). Other than that, didn't really try to save weight anywhere, you could easily drop a couple with a tubeless set up and some lighter parts (I have a boat anchor seat post, old Codes, x7 shifting...and you could go Ti spring for the shock as well...although that all starts to add up $$$-wise of course...). The frame itself is not very heavy, so if you go for an AM-type build, no reason why you couldn't get to a 35-36lbs bike with a single crown etc, and still have a tough build.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vpc-los View Post
    The SXT.
    wow...your making me really want to go with the sx..and you ride it pretty much anywhere?...will it peddle ok for me to enjoy it when i cant make it to snow or sugar? super nice bike tho

mtbr member
    wow...your making me really want to go with the sx..and you ride it pretty much anywhere?...will it peddle ok for me to enjoy it when i cant make it to snow or sugar? super nice bike tho

Yes you can pedal it too. Although you are not going to win any xcountry races. And I would not expect to win any rugged DH races on it either. But if I had to choose only one type bike this is the one that I would have because it has the most fun factor. I pedal this up and down the NC mountains so I know you could pedal it in the flatter eastern part of the state. Check the reviews.

mtbr member
    As far as the sx goes yeah xc you won't win a race and as far as dh unless its a nasty course which are far and few I between it will be fine. As far as a nasty course it will have a couple spots nasty and the rest will be right up the sx trails alley and it will excell.
    So pick a smooth line on the nasty or do like me find the biggest top rock and Huck it down (its smoother in the air) and then make up your time on the rest of the course which is usually a majority perfect for the sxt.
    My Sponsor House

mtbr member
    May 2011
    awesome thanks guys..and basically i am looking for something fun...im def not trying to win any xc races I was just making sure it could ride them...thats what this whole post was about...more on the downhill but something i could still ride when i cant make it to the parks....thank you vpc-los and bull crew...i think this is what im looking for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Try a Status. You can actually mount a direct mount front derailleur like on the enduro. You can also get like a fox 36 180 float or talas, mount a dropper post and a fox dhx air and you've got a sweet ass park bike that can climb.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta