strongest rims- Mtbr.com

Thread: strongest rims

kona-tize me captain

strongest rims

out of these rims intense mag, halo combat rim, double wide, or trail pimp, 729. which would u rather have for downhill and free riding. or r there others?any suggestions

VIA
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    out of these rims intense mag, halo combat rim, double wide, or trail pimp, 729. which would u rather have for downhill and free riding. or r there others?any suggestions

What are you looking for..??
    You have a list of the strongers rins out.. so what now..!! price, weight..??

for me the D321 are the best

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I like Halo(Love the white rim with black tire look) and Arrow

Cynical Bystander
    I like my Rhynolites, cheap and with a good build they will last forever. Obviously not the most fancy but they get the job done pretty well.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    I like my Rhynolites, cheap and with a good build they will last forever. Obviously not the most fancy but they get the job done pretty well.
    he said, you know, strongest DH/FR, not strongest XC....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    he said, you know, strongest DH/FR, not strongest XC....
    Shut up!

My Trailpimp is pretty damn strong, and makes a good wall ornament in my garage since I don't have any bikes to use it on.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Shut up!
    well gosh we should just start replying to questions randomly......oh wait thats the norm around here...

Poster: pick a number from 1 to 5
    MTBR: eleven!

Cynical Bystander
    well gosh we should just start replying to questions randomly......oh wait thats the norm around here...

Poster: pick a number from 1 to 5
    MTBR: eleven!
    I provided him with my personal experience. The trailpimp has been the most solid wheel I've ever had as well as my Rhynolites

Other strong wheels include but are not limited to:
    D321 (729)
    Doubletracks
    Mag30s
    Azonic Outlaws
    Trailpimps (supposedly hit/miss)
    Halo Combat SAS (even come in 48h)

It's helpful.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

mtbr member
    i have unquestioned faith in my alex dx-32's

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by mandown
    i have unquestioned faith in my alex dx-32's
    word, longest lasting rims i have ever used. going strong for 3 years now without a single flatspot, never been untrue or out of round.........

they easily smoke all the other rims i've tried on your list (halo, dubbs, d321, outlaws, mags)

Crumb-tumbler
    My rhynolites have worked pretty well for trials, would probably do okay for downhill. They're not really 'lite' enough for XC anyway.

I like the Halos that I have on my downhill bike now, but as far as weight goes the Dee-Maxes are top-of-the-line.

I also have a spare ditch-witch hoop that I've been thinking of trying for downhill. Wonder how that would work out...

banned
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwizard
    My rhynolites have worked pretty well for trials, would probably do okay for downhill. They're not really 'lite' enough for XC anyway.

I like the Halos that I have on my downhill bike now, but as far as weight goes the Dee-Maxes are top-of-the-line.

I also have a spare ditch-witch hoop that I've been thinking of trying for downhill. Wonder how that would work out...
    d321's

kona-tize me captain
    well see i found some new halro rims completely built for like 135 and there 24 inch with 48 spokes. r they gonna be worth it and reall strong?

Cynical Bystander
    well see i found some new halro rims completely built for like 135 and there 24 inch with 48 spokes. r they gonna be worth it and reall strong?
    Those are awesome wheels. Cooter has a set of 24s on his bighit (or did a while ago atleast). From what i've heard they are bombproof and will last forever.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Glad to Be Alive
    a factor to look into...make sure you have them laced up right or even the strongest rim will be a POS
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

rockin the mid-west

hello! what about?

Arrow racing rims dh or fr rims are sweet and tottaly hard core!
    PUNK FOR LIFE
    freeride & Down hill for life
    Companies I support
    E-13
    Shimano
    Maxxis
    EBC
    Marzocchi
    SIXSIXONE
    Specialized
    Arrow Racing
    Truvativ
    W.O.R.B.A. supporter
    I.M.B.A. supporter

mtbr member
    Do you have any idea how overkill that is for you? If you really want something strong go with the alex 24's. I can never see anyone useing a 48 spoke rim, let alone a 24" 48 spoke rim. Find something else...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    Do you have any idea how overkill that is for you? If you really want something strong go with the alex 24's. I can never see anyone useing a 48 spoke rim, let alone a 24" 48 spoke rim. Find something else...
    i don't think it matters. if he can get them for $135 that's great. everything is overkill for most people. the majority of us don't need demo 9's or banshee scream's, etc. he should get them if he can get them for a reasonable price and likes the way they look and they aren't crap.

Pro Crastinator
    i second that. it's a set of halo's for you.....

mtbr member
    agreed. however, if that deal falls through, check the alex rims (mentioned above). they are the same as the planet-x bmf's from what i have heard. check with ben @ unreal cycles for more info.

also, SMT made a great point. be sure they are laced well and keep the spokes tight. otherwise any rim will die a horrible death.

an arguement for the 321's - i watched a guy rail a hardtail at big bear with a flat rear tire from about half way down the hill on a very rocky "side trail." he smoked me on my full suspension with full tires. his rims, 321's, were still true at the bottom of the hill.

Team Sanchez
    Check out the Sun Double Tracks. A buddy of mine uses them, and he beats the hell out of them. He has them laced to saint hubs in a 4X pattern, and they are vitually indestructible. Very heavy though.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Not doublewides. DWs/modos are a terrible design.

I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Team Sanchez
    Don't blame the rim if you aren't smooth..... A lot of the strength also comes from the build. Make sure you have an experienced wheel builder build your wheels, and then keep those spokes tensioned properly as you break them in.
    Last edited by El Chingon; 02-11-2005 at 10:34 AM.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    word, longest lasting rims i have ever used. going strong for 3 years now without a single flatspot, never been untrue or out of round.........

they easily smoke all the other rims i've tried on your list (halo, dubbs, d321, outlaws, mags)
    word again, my friend uses them on his hardtail and beats the sh!t outta them and they are Barely out of true. And they're not heavy either
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    another thing to think about... those wheels are going to be a biscuit to true unless you have a certain spoke wrench

T.Dot Represent
    ive got d321's i bought off a racer that hed been usin for 2 years. the front is perfect...but the rear has a slight oval shape...i dont notice it when i ride though but i dont expect it to last long... lmao it was still worht it though 2 d321s for 100 bucks laced onto XT hubs
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

LT1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

...haven't used yet but...

Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.

...I bought one of these rims from my LBS to build into a wheel. I was very impressed on how evenly and easily it built up - it's a good indication that the alloy is consistent through-out the rim (extrusion). Which should help in it's overall (strength) performance.

I am going to use this on 1 of my hardtails this year. A bit wider than I am used to but from my impression of the build, I am expecting very good results.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by mandown
    agreed. however, if that deal falls through, check the alex rims (mentioned above). they are the same as the planet-x bmf's from what i have heard. check with ben @ unreal cycles for more info......
    they are the same, mine are the planet x ones......

SNOWRIDER

Mavic

d321's(ex729's) laced into Hadley hubs
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

ridin' the hope

The DTs are weak

Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    double tracks are weak we went through a few sets of those like they were made of cheap plastic. bending and cracking.
    Double tracks may be weak but the single tracks stand the test of time and forty foot cases. I wish that my balls were as strong as my single tracks are, I wish that they were as light too. My ten pound testies pullhard and wear out my skivies, quick like. werd, werd.

only yeti with dh skills

strongest rims

hey, i m 6,4" tall and weight about 94kg which is i think 220 puncds?...anyway, i ve tried the mag30....strong rims but they re heavy and crack really easy. double wide get bend easily and are heavy, atomics are out of production. so the best rim for me ios the x729. really good, strong and light rim. i ve been using it on my front and my rear wheel for about 5 months allready and have only a minor crack on the rear rim. i got them built with dt swiss sopes and white bros hub in front and dt swiss huegi fr in the back. anyway...works for me.
    p.s: i race dh on the elite category and do drops bigger than 10" regularly...and i m noth as smooth as i would like
    Supported by: www.biroma.ch
    Food: Tuna Salad and Lasagna
    Hate: Winter, Zürich's City Council, Zürich's Old People, Winter...Specially Zürich's Winter, Zürich's Prices
    Love: Zürich B-itches

Rocket Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by VIA
    What are you looking for..??
    You have a list of the strongers rins out.. so what now..!! price, weight..??

for me the D321 are the best
    I Use and Highly Recommend the D321's also...
    I have a set on both of my bikes...(Laced to Hope Bulb DH Hubs)
    Mavic has Changed the D321's number...they are now the EX729...
    None the less, Still a great product!!
    Last edited by bpatterson6; 02-15-2005 at 04:15 PM.

VIA
    banned
    Doble that...
    Get the 321's... they wont' let you down...

The good thing about Mag30's is that they are very easy to warranty...but w/e , is no about that .

D321

Former Noob Herder
    Doble that...
    Get the 321's... they wont' let you down...

The good thing about Mag30's is that they are very easy to warranty...but w/e , is no about that .

D321
    stop saying 321! its been two years since they were called that. You are referring to a completly different rim that isnt a DH rim...

VIA
    banned
    [QUOTE=zedro]stop saying 321! its been two years since they were called that. You are referring to a completly different rim that isnt a DH rim...

321 321 321 321

I call them whatever I want...
    I'm sure that when you see '321' w/o the 'D' in front the first thing that comes to mind is a DH rim... no that new X321 ... right...!!?

Former Noob Herder
    I call them whatever I want...
    I'm sure that when you see '321' w/o the 'D' in front the first thing that comes to mind is a DH rim... no that new X321 ... right...!!?
    oooo you rebel you. It doesnt help the kid that goes to his shop and asks for a 321 and unknowingly gets an 'All Mountain' rim. Hey, why bother 'helping' at all?

VIA
    banned
    oooo you rebel you. It doesnt help the kid that goes to his shop and asks for a 321 and unknowingly gets an 'All Mountain' rim. Hey, why bother 'helping' at all?

OH.. sorry... this was about the kids...

OK.. in that case...

Hey KIDS...
    ALWAYS WEAR YOUR HELMET AND NEVER BUY A 321 W/O THE 'MX' OR 'D' IN FRONT... CAN BE VERY DANGER.

Former Noob Herder
    OH.. sorry... this was about the kids...
    what, you thought that people were just trivially interested in what you like, and didnt really need the proper advice part? such ego....

ridin' the hope

whats up dawg

Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    u don't count. your a freak of nature. and you weigh 100 pounds.
    straight werd
    Hey man why you gotta start. You know that I ain't fat like you, I jumped on a scale today after hittin some of that biker crank you hukt tup. 83 1/2 lbs. pure sinue and bone. Just got my hair cut now i bet that I down to 83 1/4. so take these werd werds and push off punk. Or its yer flat head ot the dome. psha 100 lbs.....