stop my shameful bunny hopping- Mtbr.com
    gentle like

stop my shameful bunny hopping

thankfully my rabbit has gone to that big hutch in the sky, for he would have been truly ashamed of me.

i am riding with flats for the first time and, while i am pleased with the progression of my other skills (manualling, etc) i cannot for the life of me figure out how to 'really' bunny hop. too much time cheating with clip-ins, i suppose.

i have read articles from various places (hoots @ nsmb, etc) but i just can't find the balance or the motion. i can barely get my back tire off the ground. keep my weight forward, compress the fork, lift, pull the bars back and up to my chest, uncoil, and ... ?

nothing but ugly. help please.

sufferer of a.d.d.
    make sure that seat is WAY down! got to be out of the way to get the motion right

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    it took me a long time to learn how to bunnyhop. right now i can bunnyhop pretty damn high too, but it took me a few months to get the motion down, and another few months to fine tune it and start getting height. heres how i do it:

first, dont bother on preloading your fork by pressing down, it never helped me. remember to put that seat DOWN! now pull BACK, not up, BACK. pulling up will mess you up, you have to pull back and make your front end go up. now you will have your arms at your chest and your body should be about vertical. now at that point you want to push your arms back forward, but at the same time compress the back end of your body, letting the rear wheel follow. bring up your legs and make sure your feet stay on the pedals. sometimes when i bunnyhop up high stuff my ass hits my rear wheel, thats how much your legs gotta compress.

just keep practicing, itll come to you. when i started out i got real frustrated, but with time youll get better, just keep practicing, and dont directly follow my advice, each person does it a bit differently, im just telling you my way. try doing diffrent things, itll come

mtbr member

Another thing...

When you suck your legs up, tilt your feet forward. It helps to pull the back end up. Your feet are also less likely to fall of the pedals.
    hELLS fREERIDER

Bad Influence

Try to think of it as "galloping" the bike

When I first was learning to J-hop, I was actually doing it right w/o knowing I was doing it. I was just messing around, trying to "gallop" my DH bike- you know, like a hobby horse. Lean foward, lean back, lean foward again, all from a track stand. My friend said "dude, how are you doing that?" Apparently, I was J-hopping. I tried to do it while moving, and holy crap, he was right. I started J-hopping onto every curb I came to, off every bump I used to just ride over. Eventually, my pre-hop manuals got longer, and I could pull the bike up higher. About a month later, I could hop onto a loading dock. Two months later, a table.

My friend says what helps him is imagening his toes currled around the pedal spindle like a bird on a perch. I never had a problem sticking to the flats, though. I never learned how to SPD hop, so I guess I never picked up bad habits. He also pretends hes rotating the grips foward to bring the back up.

J-hopping is similar in concept to the ollie on a skateboard; shift your weight back to get the front up, then push the front foward to get the back up and flat.

There will be a sudden moment of epiffany when you get it right. Good Luck!

go big
    Jan 2004
    check this out. I learned how to bunny hop when I was a wee lad like this. find a small crack in the sidewalk that is raised 1 or 2" ride to it using some speed not fast but not slow either hit the crack and pull up on the bars and jump with the feet more presure on the bars then feet.
    also bike set up has a lot to do with it i can hop my P (dj) bike way higher then my xc bike and then even higher on a 20". late

gentle like

thanks all

i took all your advice, tried it all out, and after a few days of regular practice, it's workin' a little better. actually, i managed to clear 1ft (once), which is almost as well as i ever did with clipless pedals on my xc bike.

and i'm actually getting the hang of hopping from a standstill, too. sideways, around in a circle, up onto the curb, down off the curb ... what a blast. i'm not gonna make any videos quite yet, but i'm having tons of fun - and only a few scrapes and bruises (shin pads - best idea ever).

seems after i got the swing of the movements, the biggest thing was just relaxing, loosening up, and stop trying to make the motion mechanical.

for those who are interested, bike setup is a planet x (new) jack flash w/ 26" wheels, sherman flick, sram x7 and fsa x-drive 1x9 drivetrain ... i feel like a big kid on it - most fun i've had learning something in years. next up ... drops. and maybe trying to hop up stairs. what a great time.

Members who have read this thread: 0