Stinky or Stinky Dee-Lux?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Stinky or Stinky Dee-Lux?

This is for my friend:

Which bike would be better for me to get? A medium 04 Stinky or a Medium 04 Deelux? I am 115lbs and 5 foot 5. I would be doing freeriding and hopefully some downhill racing
    They are both stock
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky05rider
    bmx is not dh/freeride....tight jeans are for girls

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Bender
    This is for my friend:

Which bike would be better for me to get? A medium 04 Stinky or a Medium 04 Deelux? I am 115lbs and 5 foot 5. I would be doing freeriding and hopefully some downhill racing
    They are both stock
    Seeing as the Stinky Deelux is the model upgrade from the Stinky... the Deelux is probably better. Although if you are talking about which is a better deal... that depends on your budget. Neither have stellar forks, most of the other components are solid... I don't know that the necessarily worth it if you are on a budget. Money may be better spent on a Stinky with a fork upgrade.

Xtremely Moderate
    It doesn't say "Deelux" for nothing.

Based on the Drop Off Triple on the Stinky VS the 888 on the Deelux the choice is obvious.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by robsetsfire
    Money may be better spent on a Stinky with a fork upgrade.
    ....or do that.

Find yourself an 04 Super T on sale and put the xtra money there.

Good idea.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

mtbr member
    its my stinky and they are both 04...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    The Dee Lux comes with a Junior T

i should be working
    a med (17") might be tough for you to throw around until you grow into it. get the deelux if you can afford it.

mtbr member
    and what is a junior t other than a DOT with an inch more travel...
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    He is just getting to freeriding so he won't be doing anything huge

mtbr member
    Stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky!stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky!stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky!stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky!stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky!stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky!stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky! :d
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    I agree with you but he need a lot of peoples opinions. If anyone has an opinion just say it, you don't need to explain why

mtbr member
    anybody?
    Last edited by East Coast Bender; 01-04-2005 at 04:10 PM.

kona-tize me captain
    Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Bender
    This is for my friend:

They are both stock

dude u need to go with what u think is best for u dont just go with bike that has better stuff on it to begin with. if u get the stinky u can always take that extra money and put even nicer parts on it then the stab. and u could by sum dangerboy plates incase u wants 7 inches of rear travel. i just bought a kona stinky 04 and i cant wait till it comes in. but if money is no option to u id just by either one of the frames and totally build the bike up to ur needs.

kona-tize me captain
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    dude u need to go with what u think is best for u dont just go with bike that has better stuff on it to begin with. if u get the stinky u can always take that extra money and put even nicer parts on it then the stab. and u could by sum dangerboy plates incase u wants 7 inches of rear travel. i just bought a kona stinky 04 and i cant wait till it comes in. but if money is no option to u id just by either one of the frames and totally build the bike up to ur needs.

srry the dee lux my bad

mtbr member
    yeah hes not looking for the better bike but the one that will suit him better

mtbr member
    And the DEE Lux already has 7in

mtbr member
    henry , But with a longer stroke shock, such as a DHX you can get 6.75 inches of travel without eeven getting the plates, and that shock will make the bike feel alot better than a Dee Lux with a Vanilla RC...

Always remember children, when it comes to travel, its Quality over Quantity...
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    That is pretty good

mtbr member
    that would definitely be my choice if i was in his position, use the extra money to make upgrades that you would also have to make to the dee lux..

ie. junior t/ DOT
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull

Always remember children, when it comes to travel, its Quality over Quantity...
    Exactly right.
    Which is who you should avoid the aftermarket plates like the plague! Also, if it were so easy to get extra travel out of a bike by putting a longer stroke shock on it, don't you think we would have already done that? We would have, but it messes up the leverage ratio, which means yes, you have three quarters of an inch of more travel, but it's not very good travel. Trust me on this one, our suspension guy is a nut about this stuff, and has it pretty darn dialed in. That's why our team is running stock stuff, and not weird aftermarket shocks and plates.

Cheers,
    Joe.

mtbr member
    i know that, ( it is my stinky btw) but the kid thinks that the inch more travel of the Dee is amazing. And the RC is outdated and i and i know many others would rather have a DHX 5 on there with 6 ( or even 6.75 inches if u really want it) rather than the DEE with the RC. And with the extra money he would save by getting my bike he could buy a fork ( super t) with dampening that wont break your wrist ( ssv ) and the DHX. So what would you guys rather have, a stock stinky dee lux or a stinky witha super t, and a DHX 5 on there?

Another thing the kid thinks is if a part costs more, it is atomaticly better
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    6" or 7", some people really like the extra inch... And if the extra inch is important, go for the stock option, rather than some shady aftermarket thing. An inch of rear wheel travel at this point isn't a whole lot to me.
    I've never had a problem with the adjustments on a stock Jr. T. I rode one for quite a while on my 2003 Stinky DL, and never had any issues. Break your wrist? I have, but never because of the fork!
    The stock parts on a Stinky Dee Lux ARE niver than the parts on a Stinky, that's exactly why it costs more. You're not comparing one bike brand to another, or even different style of bikes, but the same platform of bikes from the same company here!
    If you're going to change anything anyway, and are happy with 6" of travel, go with the Stinky. If you plan on keeping it the way it is for a while, go with the Stinky Dee Lux.

Joe.

mtbr member
    Stinky, in 2 years he should get something a lot better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    Stinky, in 2 years he should get something a lot better.
    i agree with your comment on the stinky, but the second part, "in 2 years he should get something a lot better," makes absolutely no sense.
    i remember someone told you a while back to look at what you typed and see if it made sense. you aren't listening to them...

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005

Smile i want to buy a stinkey

Stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky!stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky!stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky!stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky!stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky!stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky!stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky! Stinky! :d

i want to buy a stinky. somwhat cheap. please send me some pictures of your bike and more info and frame size

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by rebull
    you forgot the 20mm Thru-Axle which makes a world of difference...

and dont get either...

none of them are in your size...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    i want to buy a 2004 stinky can u give me detail bout urs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sreiman
    i want to buy a 2004 stinky can u give me detail bout urs?
    I did, check your Private messagese at the top of the page...
    what were is gnarcal

Glad to Be Alive
    the dee lux
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    Personaly I would also look at your hight and weight you only way 115 so you wouldn't need 7 inches unless you do 20foot drops all day. Remeber 7 inches of travel is alot to pedal around, look at the conditions you are riding in if it is more flat ground think about maybe a coiler because it pedales better and you can beat the heck out of it thats my choice for riding and they do everything. But if you live beside a mountain with lots of NS trails go with the stinky or stinky D but always go with what you want because in the end your riding the bike not us.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by JRuss
    Personaly I would also look at your hight and weight you only way 115 so you wouldn't need 7 inches unless you do 20foot drops all day. Remeber 7 inches of travel is alot to pedal around, look at the conditions you are riding in if it is more flat ground think about maybe a coiler because it pedales better and you can beat the heck out of it thats my choice for riding and they do everything. But if you live beside a mountain with lots of NS trails go with the stinky or stinky D but always go with what you want because in the end your riding the bike not us.
    sorry but i dont believe even 9" of travel to be alot to ride around...

the only reason DH bikes and high end FR bikes are hard to boast around is due to there weight...not there travel...

and just for the record 9" travel DH bikes arnt hard to DJ either and ill slap anyone who says otherwise...

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    is there a big difference in the 05 stinky and the 04 stinky

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    sorry but i dont believe even 9" of travel to be alot to ride around...

the only reason DH bikes and high end FR bikes are hard to boast around is due to there weight...not there travel...

and just for the record 9" travel DH bikes arnt hard to DJ either and ill slap anyone who says otherwise...
    post some pics of your djs. when bj means "and just for the record 9" travel DH bikes arnt hard to DJ either and ill slap anyone who says otherwise..." he means jumping one 20 foot gap where he is towed in or gets speed from a huge hill, not rhythm sections, or not westcoasthucker type jumps.

Renegade of Krunk
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    post some pics of your djs. when bj means "and just for the record 9" travel DH bikes arnt hard to DJ either and ill slap anyone who says otherwise..." he means jumping one 20 foot gap where he is towed in or gets speed from a huge hill, not rhythm sections, or not westcoasthucker type jumps.
    That's a good point, I fockin hate peddle bob and I have like no travel on my bike (have hte spring cranked down) which is why I am getting a hard tail. I wouldn't be expecting to be able to get up and get moving quick on a FS bike with big travel..

a'buh?
    We need more info to make an educated decision for your friend here. First, and most importantly, what is his budget? Second, does he really care that much about the extra inch of travel? Third, will he be happy w/ the stock parts on either of the bikes, or will he upgrade either of them in the first few months of ownership? Fourth, what exactly is he planning to do with this bike (what type of riding)? Fifth, is he a ninja? And finally, if he is a ninja, can I have his autograph?

Thanks, and happy hunting............. or something.
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    im just sick of people saying just because you have a DH bike you can suddenly then no longer ride street or hit the dirt jumps on it...

in actual fact you can and everyone i know is living proof (me and my mates only ride DH bikes) ride what you have and do what you will with it...of course some bikes will be better at some things and some wont be as good as others at other things but its the rider and not the bike...

and if you want tight rythms on a DH bike then ill give you tight rythms on a DH bike...

(just give me a week)

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    yes BJ I know what you are saying for I do the same. What I was saying to him is it would be hard to pedal around a bike that weighs 45 pounds adn the person only weighs 115. And what I ment by 7inches of travel is you don't find 7inch travel bikes that weigh 35pounds. You do have a point bighit bikes rock.

mtbr member
    yes BJ I know what you are saying for I do the same. What I was saying to him is it would be hard to pedal around a bike that weighs 45 pounds adn the person only weighs 115. And what I ment by 7inches of travel is you don't find 7inch travel bikes that weigh 35pounds. You do have a point bighit bikes rock.
    Actually, look at a gemini...
    what were is gnarcal

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    sorry dude...

im just touchy on the subject seems as ever sice i got a DEMO stupid people keep telling me...that now i have one i can no longer hit up the DJs or ride some street with my buddies whenc rusing around town...

i do realise a HT or short travel bike may be easyer though bt ive never actually had a HT or properly riddden one for that matter or even a short travel bike...the lest ammount of travel ive ever had in the rear is 6"...

mtbr member
    i agree with your comment on the stinky, but the second part, "in 2 years he should get something a lot better," makes absolutely no sense.
    i remember someone told you a while back to look at what you typed and see if it made sense. you aren't listening to them...
    Yes i have, i was just making a long story short. What i meant to say is that 2 years after owning the stinky and gaining more skill and so on, he should get a better bike, thats if he wants to. That is what i ment. You know, something with better componets and a better frame ect...