Still a good contender in the game?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Still a good contender in the game?

So, I came across a 2004 Specialized Demo 9 Pro. Complete bike, less than $1500.

Old style 888 Fork, full XT drive train, and Mavic rims. I'm heavily considering picking this bike up, and "freshening" it up with some new-age parts, and lighter weight wheels.

Installing a fresh 2012 Fox DH 40, and a Fox DHX RC4 rear shock setup, new brakes, etc.

Do you guys think it'd be a good rig, in comparison to what's out there today? I just felt for the price, it couldn't be beat. It's in immaculate shape, and is crack free. Do you think it's possible to get this pig into the mid 40lb range, instead of tipping the scales at 51lbs which it currently does?

Have always loved the looks, the beefiness, and the endless travel of the "older" Demo 9's.
    However I just wanna hear what you guys have to say, in relation to the new breed of frames that are out there. (I've been out of the DH game for a good 5-6 years)

You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    For the money your going to spend to get newer parts on it, and shave off at least 6 lbs. I think you'd be better off looking for a newer used bike. Plenty of good deals out there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yeah, I agree. You're looking to drop $1500 on an old bike and spend $2k fixing it up to get it into the 45lb range? You can buy a brand new 2012 Norco Aurum for $3500 that weighs 39.5lbs and probably rides a lot better. If you look for deals/used bikes I bet you can find way better options for the amount of money you're looking to spend. Lots of the higher end DH bikes these days are in the 35lbs range (not 45). 40lbs is pretty standard for a decent DH rig and should be well within your budget.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i had a 04 demo9. make sure the rear triangle isnt cracked right where the rear bolt on the shock mounts. the demo9 was a pig. handled like crap, wasnt particularly plush, and was 51lbs. i spent quite a bit of money to get it to 45lbs. not worth it. i swore off demos for good because of this bike, but now im riding a 2011 demo8. i fell in love with it in whistler and ended up buying one. it is light years ahead of what the demo9 was out of the box, and itll probably cost you the same price as upgrading your demo9. 1500 is expensive with the old ass 888.

Slap happy crappiness
    You can buy my 2008 Turner DHR for $2300 and have a 39lbs super rad DH bike that's not 8 years old, and you're already ahead of yourself after you drop $1500 on the Demo, plus over 2K in suspension alone... plus wheels, and other light bits trying to drop weight on that bike.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have an 04 demo 9 that I absolutely love. It handles everything I throw its way. Old school 888 and all. I just freshened it up this season new powder coat and new pivot bearings. I paid 1200 bucks for it. I have no idea what it weighs and don't care either. I'm used to shredding a 250+ pound kx450f so this is a feather weight to me. I refuse to buy into the hype that 10 pounds is worth 2+ grand. Cut ten pounds of body weight instead if you're that concerned about weight.

Dirt is Fun
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8er07999 View Post
    I have an 04 demo 9 that I absolutely love. It handles everything I throw its way. Old school 888 and all. I just freshened it up this season new powder coat and new pivot bearings. I paid 1200 bucks for it. I have no idea what it weighs and don't care either. I'm used to shredding a 250+ pound kx450f so this is a feather weight to me. I refuse to buy into the hype that 10 pounds is worth 2+ grand. Cut ten pounds of body weight instead if you're that concerned about weight.
    Wow...haven't seen an old Demo in years...my how they have come a LONG ways. That thing looks like it belongs in a Down Video with Bender hucking his nutz on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    whats your total budget?

for the money it sure sounds like you can do better.

And if you plan on going for used, there certainly are better deals out there.

mtbr member
    Haven't really thought too much about the budget to be honest. Just kinda wanted to either piece something together, or buy a new one. I'm still indecisive.
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHit-Maniac View Post
    Haven't really thought too much about the budget to be honest. Just kinda wanted to either piece something together, or buy a new one. I'm still indecisive.
    I say go demo 9 unless you plan on racing world cups or something. Or just have money to burn. I think I'm the only one here who feels that way though. Good luck either way.

- Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Buy it, crack it, get a new 2012 one for $40 with the lifetime warranty

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    not original owner, no warranty

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    A lot of shops don't care if you're not the original owner, I've seen it done before with an 06 demo

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i havent seen that in my experience. i had to pay for a crash replacement rear triangle for my demo9, and i went to a few different shops.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It does sound like you could get a better bike for the money. Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHit-Maniac View Post
    Yeti Cycles 303 RDH 2011 Complete Complete 303 RDH with Yeti Cycles Build Kit Detail Page

$3200 new complete is pretty good!