stiffer fork: Boxxer, or 1.5 totem???- Mtbr.com
    REQUIRED FOR ADRENALINE!!

stiffer fork: Boxxer, or 1.5 totem???

Has anybody ever ridden the two of these side by side extensively for a while? I've ridden on both for a short period of time, but not nearly enough to make an honest decision on which is better.

I recieved a lot of complaints about the boxxer flexxing quite a bit in my last thread. In lue of things, the question came to mind : could a 1.5 head tube'd Totem with 40mm stantions be just as stiff if not stiffer than its 32mm DH counterpart, the Boxxer?

I know there are those of you out there that have tried these extensively. please lend my your thoughts and opinions about this matter... Thank you for your time.
    I'm always right. I thought I wasn't once, but I was wrong.

-> SickLines.com <-
    The totem i felt was stiffer. Stiffer doesn't always equal better in all cases. Even the 1 1/8 totem felt stiffer to me than a boxxer.

Capricious youth...
    I've ridden a Boxxer Ride U-turn on my buddy's 7point, and I now have a Totem 2-Step 1 and 1/8th (with reducers) on my 7point.

My Totem feels stiffer.

Just my $0.02.
    Meh.

N* Bomber Crew
    Do you have to pick the Boxxer as your Dual Crown fork? The DH40 weighs less than the Boxxer Team, has larger stanchions and I am assuming it is stiffer. Also what about something like the 888SLATA? 6.5 lbs and 38mm Stanchions.

If you must choose the Boxxer, I didn't feel too much flex testing out my friends, but numbers wise it doesn't stack up against the competition if you are looking for a super stiff fork.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Also what about something like the 888SLATA? 6.5 lbs and 38mm Stanchions.
    Real weight or Marzocchi weight?

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    Real weight or Marzocchi weight?
    Both Crowns, Uncut Steerer and Thru Axle. 6.41lbs actual

Do you have to pick the Boxxer as your Dual Crown fork? The DH40 weighs less than the Boxxer Team, has larger stanchions and I am assuming it is stiffer. Also what about something like the 888SLATA? 6.5 lbs and 38mm Stanchions.

If you must choose the Boxxer, I didn't feel too much flex testing out my friends, but numbers wise it doesn't stack up against the competition if you are looking for a super stiff fork.

Already have a DH40 on my other DH bike; you are right, it is pretty damn stiff. But it doesn't weigh less than the Boxxer WC. I was looking for a freeride/ light to intermediate DH specific set up for a 7 inch travel bike. I already have my opinions on Marzocchi ( pretty good!) but I wanted to check into Rockshox particulary fitting the Boxxer, and the Totem. Should I choose Rock shox, I wanted to have a good opinion on which one to choose. Shame that Fox hasn't put out a 180mm single crown yet, they are practically giving the competition away to the rest of the suspension powerhouses'. in that class of fork.

The 888's have 38mm stantions? can anybody confirm this???

thats not to steep is it?
    last time i checked they were 35 i think. atleast thats whats on my buddies 888. and why doesnt the boxxer use bigger stanctions. i mean i love mine, and its not terribly flexy, but i can deffinatly feel it.
    07' fsr xc pro
    06' bighit2
    05 hardrock comp set up as a dj bike
    02 fat boy hemi

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Assist
    The 888's have 38mm stantions? can anybody confirm this???
    per their site...2008 888 Models have 38mm stanchions

because thats the only way Rock shox can keep their record for the lightest fork on the market...

Oh, So Interesting!
    888 SL ATA would be sick if they could make it reliable. It would be the perfect fork for my Uzzi...

The Boxxer is a very good fork, but it does flex a bit. The totem legs are going to be stiffer than the boxxer, the crowns on the Boxxer will make that part of the fork stiffer. I'd bet the Totem is a stiffer fork overall, especislly the 1.5 version which is %20 stiffer than the 1.125

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    888 SL ATA would be sick if they could make it reliable. It would be the perfect fork for my Uzzi...

The Boxxer is a very good fork, but it does flex a bit. The totem legs are going to be stiffer than the boxxer, the crowns on the Boxxer will make that part of the fork stiffer. I'd bet the Totem is a stiffer fork overall, especislly the 1.5 version which is %20 stiffer than the 1.125
    I've heard really good things about the doppio system that Marzocchi uses in the 66 SL and Z1SL models. Heard its very reliable and just as plush and supple as coil forks.

An idea bulb went off in my head, would a 1.5 steerer crown Dual Crown fork make sense to anyone to make it stronger? Or no?

yet another stupid german
    have owned/own 06 boxxer ride, totem 2step, 888 sl ata

totem is definitely stiffer than boxxer, can't notice difference between 888/totem

1.5 DC? hmmmm really can't imagine that a 38/40mm stanchion DC would profit from 1.5

my2cents
    ra

Bike Ninja |||
    I've heard really good things about the doppio system that Marzocchi uses in the 66 SL and Z1SL models. Heard its very reliable and just as plush and supple as coil forks.

An idea bulb went off in my head, would a 1.5 steerer crown Dual Crown fork make sense to anyone to make it stronger? Or no?

Yea. my buddy had a 40 like that.

i think reese racing used to make 40 crowns with a 1.5 steer option. That fork was stiff as hell!
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Theres no reason to have a DC fork w/ 1.5 steerer. Check the 1.5 ht website for tech info if you want... basically the top crown makes the whole assembly extremely stiff so the bigger steerer won't be of any benefit.

Glad to Be Alive
    does stiffer mean better????

a lot of people complained about the Shiver being flexy.....but I love it and still do today..

either fork will be fine.....just try both and see which you like better
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    Theres no reason to have a DC fork w/ 1.5 steerer. Check the 1.5 ht website for tech info if you want... basically the top crown makes the whole assembly extremely stiff so the bigger steerer won't be of any benefit.
    Well, question answered, just was pondering the idea and wanted to see if its ever been done before.

I post too much.
    1.5 is more about more weld area on the headtube than fork stiffness, I mean the steerer tube's stiffness probably doesn't affect the ride at that much, being that it sits in the headtube, in the headset.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    1.5 is more about more weld area on the headtube than fork stiffness, I mean the steerer tube's stiffness probably doesn't affect the ride at that much, being that it sits in the headtube, in the headset.

Its about fork stiffness as well. Without a DC fork there is no top crown to leverage against, so its all in the steerer / crown. The 1.5 Totem is %20 stiffer than the 1.125 version.

Bike Ninja |||
    Well, question answered, just was pondering the idea and wanted to see if its ever been done before.

Not necessarily. -> yes having a 1.5 steer in a DC set up won't make the fork in itself stiffer, but it allows less torsional flex when used with a conventional stem. (direct mounts need not apply to this situation). Think about it. your input is received by the steer tube, in which if it's 1 1/8 there is not as much clamping SA for the stem, or the crowns for that matter.

a 1.5HT on a DC fork does make for a slightly stiffer fork.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Members who have read this thread: 0