Stickiest Flats?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm Stickiest Flats?

Hey guys, I tried looking for a forum about this already but I didn't come up with much. I just bought a new pair of fiveten freeriders and it's time for a pedal upgrade to go with them. My buddy has a pair of crank bros 50/50s that stick pretty well with these shoes but they're a little heavy. Does anyone have any ideas for a real sticky platform pedal that I could use?

Thanks!

mtbr member

Crampons

Dont slip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stickiest Flats?-p1020713.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Big fan of HT pedals ANO1 (I believe they're called) and anything Diety. I have a big foot, so I've found that finding a pedal with the largest surface area possible is just as important of finding one that has enough pins.

Glad to Be Alive
    check out point one racing "podiums"
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I know they might be a little outdated, but check out the Answer Rove pedals. They've been set it and forget it for me. They're a little heavy, and not super thin' but they take a beating, have fantastic grip, and offer a wide platform at a good price.

I have some freeriders aswell and the Rove's have worked out great.

Now with More Wood

Hope springs eternal

You're hoping to find a pedal that HASN'T been discussed in the world's longest flat pedal thread already??? The one that is only a few threads down this very same page???

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stickiest Flats?-flat-thread.jpg  

Locs on Spokez
    That pedal shootout thread is pretty awful if you're actually trying to just buy a set of pedals that don't suck.

Po1nt Podiums if you want to support the Californian economy - Deity Decoys if you want to support the US economy - Spank Spikes if you want to support the Orient
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What shoes are you using? If you said five-tens then the pedal advice is not that important, otherwise upgrade your shoes first.
    Last edited by gretch; 04-28-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggz View Post
    That pedal shootout thread is pretty awful if you're actually trying to just buy a set of pedals that don't suck.

Po1nt Podiums if you want to support the Californian economy - Deity Decoys if you want to support the US economy - Spank Spikes if you want to support the Orient
    The only reason this thread is less awful is that it only just started....but we're already at 7-8 suggestions in as many posts, and they're already all over the place! The truth is, once you go for 5-10s, you can pretty much just pick a pedal and go ride...wider and flatter will be a bit better (especially flat - that's one aspect you can really feel on the bike). There's something for every taste (and budget!) these days in pedal land...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman2058 View Post
    the only reason this thread is less awful is that it only just started....but we're already at 7-8 suggestions in as many posts, and they're already all over the place! The truth is, once you go for 5-10s, you can pretty much just pick a pedal and go ride...wider and flatter will be a bit better (especially flat - that's one aspect you can really feel on the bike). There's something for every taste (and budget!) these days in pedal land...
    +1000%

biking is fun
    Strict DH/FR I would go with the Canfield Crampons. If you are doing a lot of pedaling up then I would say the point 1 podiums. I like the extra clearance of the crampons but my foot rubs on the axle and squeaks. I do have the old ones though so I don't know if the latest ones do that anymore. Both are great pedals and there are newer canfields coming out later this year that look perfect and have solved the axle problem.

Flacko
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggz View Post

....and twenty6 if you want to support a MT economy! FTW in n rockies

meow meow
    my dad has some wellgo b-52s. cheap, light, pretty thin, replacable pins, nicely concave. like said above its really about the shoes, but wellgo makes good, afordable options.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks guys for all the help! I had seen the pedal shootout thread but what's the point? It's interesting information but I'm looking for a few narrow choices that are specific to me. I could've just googled 'pedals' and got the same result as the thread, so I appreciate you all taking the time to give me a response. It's been very helpful and as always, the community has not let me down! Thanks a ton!!

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba View Post
    Strict DH/FR I would go with the Canfield Crampons. If you are doing a lot of pedaling up then I would say the point 1 podiums. I like the extra clearance of the crampons but my foot rubs on the axle and squeaks. I do have the old ones though so I don't know if the latest ones do that anymore. Both are great pedals and there are newer canfields coming out later this year that look perfect and have solved the axle problem.
    Agreed. I run these on my All Mountain bike and occasionally they do squeak, but only when the axles are clean. Ride a mile in west texas and they get all dusty and the squeak goes away. I have bashed them into rocks for 2 years and they are still going strong.
    I have been planning to jump up to the 2nd generation crampons, but my current pair wont die.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    No love for Straitlines here?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    HT plastic pedals/Deity Compounds. been great for a year and a half. Weigh ~350g, which is lighter than anything on the market without a ti spindle. Not sure of the price, but compounds are ~$40.

Whatever you get, make sure there are no more than 14 pins on it (10-12 is best IMO) and that they are skinny and replaceable. Avoid idiotic designs that have custom "shaped" or machined pins- set screws and bolts will work fine though they might weigh a little bit more. Fivetens are phenomenal in that they turn a pedal that doesn't work with a skate shoe into a glue trap with just a little traction. I have never had my foot slip on Atomic Aircorps, Compounds, or pretty much anything else I've tried.

Members who have read this thread: 0