Steps :(- Mtbr.com

Thread: Steps :(

mtbr member

Steps :(

In races when im going pretty good there will be sections just come up on me and there will be steps. I will do drops if i have confidence but steps scare the S*%@ out of me for some reason. I hope you guys know what kinda steps im talking about, any pointers?

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    steps?

yaha ha
    as in step downs or consecutive drops like stairs....or steps ??

mtbr member
    I guess stairs would be better then steps, or consecutive drops

mtbr member
    Stair gaps rock!!!!

Waiting for Godot........
    Jul 2006
    i know what your talking about. for those that don't they look like continuous drops(big stairs) big enough to make you lean back farther than your rear axle(or more).

one or two make your heart race. more than that its about confidence and picking the right line. if you fall you usual tumble for a while. lets break that up into two separate things.

confidence:

is your bike confidence inspiring? are you trying dh on a xc bike? is you suspension set up right to do this trail. are you wearing enough armor/pads?

picking the right line:

this might be part of confidence, but being a couple inches left or right can make a hugh difference. speed is also going to play a role here. too slow and you go over. too fast and the same thing for different reasons. experience plays a part in decision making.
    to get that you should work your way up to bigger and bigger stair drops.

yesterday i rode a trail that had alot of sections like this. they were broken up and separated about 200 yards apart. so by the time my heart slowed down from barely making the section another came at me.

i am starting to ride trials to improve my balance on techy kind of stuff.

every situation requires different technique. leaning far enough back and having shoulder strength is important.

Slow Patrol
    Oct 2005
    If you mean consecutive drops then I recently came across something like this. I am a beginning technical DH rider so keep that in mind.

A few days ago I was on the Mammoth Flow trail and a section there had a series of small drops somewhat close together on a moderate slope. Not like stairs but a bike length or two. For me it was a rythm thing. Punch the bars forward as you go off a drop but get back neutral quick for the next one and punch forward again. My first attempt failed, just a flop to the side, because I punched forward but did not get back to neutral for subsequent drops and lost steering because my arms were somewhat extended. Did better after I was told what I did wrong.

Glad to Be Alive
    do what I do....

lean back...point your bike and CLOSE YOUR EYES

Praying also helps
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Well i dont know if a 04' big hit with a manitou sherman and a regular manitou crappy shock is inspiring but w.e.

My bike probley isnt set up right because i dont know how to set my fork and rear shock up right for what i am doing so i run it the same at every race.

I will try that that norman.

and Shiver i will try that to and probley bust my a*%.

I dont think any of you rode the bald mountain challenge at deer valley, but that where it was and they were probley a bike or a bike and a half a part

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by -Insomnia-
    W

and Shiver i will try that to and probley bust my a*%.

I a part
    seriously give it a try and always have a bail out spot
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Next time i run into a section like that i will

Members who have read this thread: 0