Stem Length- Mtbr.com

Thread: Stem Length

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Stem Length

So I just got my new Medium AS-X which came with a 40mm stem, WAY too short as I am 6'0" tall. I can't get any leverage for pedalling and the front end feels sketchy as I can't get enough weight over it. My other bike Enduro Expert has a 90mm. I know that is too long for a DH/FR bike but I can't even find an 80mm reach, the biggest I find are 70mm. So, is it OK to run an all-mtn, i.e. heavy duty cross country stem as these are easy to find in 80mm. Opinions, any appreciated............

mtbr member

Answer

Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    So I just got my new Medium AS-X which came with a 40mm stem, WAY too short as I am 6'0" tall. I can't get any leverage for pedalling and the front end feels sketchy as I can't get enough weight over it. My other bike Enduro Expert has a 90mm. I know that is too long for a DH/FR bike but I can't even find an 80mm reach, the biggest I find are 70mm. So, is it OK to run an all-mtn, i.e. heavy duty cross country stem as these are easy to find in 80mm. Opinions, any appreciated............

same issue with me.
    I run the Answer Atac pro stem in 75mm with a 10 degree rise.
    It's far from a DH stem...but it's held up for 2 seasons of DH.
    I just make sure I check the bolts and face plate after each ride....
    I also run an Easton Havoc (?) seatpost with a layback option.
    I slide the saddle back a little further than normal.
    This way I don't need an extra long stem, and my weight isn't over the front wheel.
    I believe the Easton has a larger offset than the Thomson layback post.

Pivotal figure
    Another good option is a Race Face Diabolus. It's heavy duty and has enough reach to give you some breathing room. I have a 70mm and it works great for FR/DH.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    6' tall and you got a medium. AS-X's have a short wheelbase already. Who recommended you get a medium? I typically ride a medium frame and I am 5'8".
    I personally wouldn't use longer than 70mm for a FR stem. I use a 50mm now. Kind of defeats the purpose of a slacker bike IMO. I do see that Yeti has 6' at the end of the medium range but I would rather have a longer top tube and shorter stem on a FR/DH bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am considering something 70-80mm in stem length and the Medium frame feels great, I can really throw the bike around. The Answer at 75mm may be the longest heavy duty style stem that is not quite DH, the Diabolus at 70mm may be the best choice?? I know I won't have quite the reach of my Enduro with the 90mm reach but need more space than the ridiculous 40mm!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    How about a Titec Gold? It has a 75mm reach and is a great buy at Price Point. Anyone know anything about Titec Stems??

TC
    mtbr member

thinking the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    6' tall and you got a medium. AS-X's have a short wheelbase already. Who recommended you get a medium? I typically ride a medium frame and I am 5'8".
    I personally wouldn't use longer than 70mm for a FR stem. I use a 50mm now. Kind of defeats the purpose of a slacker bike IMO. I do see that Yeti has 6' at the end of the medium range but I would rather have a longer top tube and shorter stem on a FR/DH bike.

I could see a medium if you really just wanted a hucker and didn't care about pedaling.

If you change the stem or even the seat post (set back is your other option here), you will mess up overall handling.
    if the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Titec El Norte is what I meant, sorry. Anyways a 75mm reach.

Baba Booey!
    I just picked up one of those Titec stems from PricePoint. I believe its 75mm 0 rise. It is a solid piece of metal. 5mm bolts for the bars and the steerer, so you can really crank it down and not have to worry about it geting jarred loose. I think I got it for about $25. Can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    Forty is pretty short for any bike. We prefer 50s even on full race DH bikes.

The numbers we recommend at Go-ride are:
    50mm = DH
    70mm = FR
    90mm = Trail
    Over 90 = XC
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    i run a 45 on my ht im 5'11"

mtbr member
    I put a 70 that I had laying around on my XC hardtail and have been impressed with the handling and the climbing. I can still climb the steeps that I did with a 100mm stem. I have a 50 on my DH/FR bike and have to weight the front end for cornering but otherwise love the way it feels.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yeah, just ordered the Titec El Norte Gold 75mm 0 deg rise, think it will be the ticket! I rarely shuttle and so have to climb some, but still need more weight on front end. Thanks guys!!

mtbr member
    another option you could have tried is the FSA Gap Stem available in 45, 60, 75, 90, 105mm

i've got the 75mm and love it

http://www.ridegravity.com/fly.aspx?...axid=17&pid=54

check your six

Use what feels best!

Ehh,... use what ever stem feels the most confortable. If the stem is quality enough, regardless of the length, use it. Some might be offended if you have a 90mm stem on your FR bike, but they are not riding it.

I have a 60mm Hussefelt on my FR bike and a 85mm 1 inch rise on my Dirt Jumper. Everytime I go to the DJ spot someone make a comment on my stem. My Hardail frame is a little shorter and I have long arms, so I rock the 85mm, and it is comfortable.

Unless your dropping like Cam Mcaul or Binder, any stem will work for you. Just make it a comfortable ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Right on!! If it is an extremely steep sloe I understand the shorty stem, otherwise you can't get your weight where you want it. Preston, the FSA stuff sounds sweet too.

local trails rider
    I am about 5'10" and have a 70mm (or was it 60...) stem on my Medium AS-X. It feels pretty good going down the slopes but a little short on some climbs. I moved the seat pretty far forward to get some weight on the front and lower the fork from 170mm to 130mm for climbing and smooth ground.

Members who have read this thread: 0