Stem choices- Mtbr.com

Thread: Stem choices

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Stem choices

(x-posted from gen dis) I'm looking for a good 50-70mm stem that can stand up to 190lb rider and AM/FR use and that's not too much $$$. Thomson X4 looks nice and light, a little pricey and not sure if its stiff enough. Pricepoint has a Kore B1b on clearance for like 20 that has all 5.0 reviews here, looks stiff (heh) and not too heavy. There's syncros BearHug DH stems for cheap, around 30. And diablous at around 55 claims to be the stiffest out there.

Will the Kore do the job well enough, or are there other suggestions? I know there's some pretty hot eye-candy stems out there, but can't shell out too much right now.

COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
    Check eBay, you can get some good deals if you shop around and are not in too much of a hurry. I just picked up an 50mm Easton Vise for $20. + $5. ship for my son's bike.
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

i like rocks
    pull the trigger on that thomson, ya never regret a purchase from those guys.

mtbr member
    I run a Snycros 70mm there am stem never any problems and I am 240lbs

mtbr member
    I just scored a Thomson 70mm downhill (wider/stronger version of the elite) stem for $42 on E-Bay It's for a standard bar but that's what I have on my all mtn rig anyway (Azonic B52 - swear by those as well).

Cheers,

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Another vote for the Thomson.

If you hit something hard enough to make that thing fail there is a whole world of sh!t that you have done wrong.

Sunshine & Slippery Trail
    Truvativ Holzfeller in 60mm is treatin me awesome and a sweet bang for the buck!!

Meh.
    I have a Bearhug that I took off to swap for a Holzfeller. Great stem, just wrong rise for me.

The Thomson stems are twice as expensive, and will make you twice as happy. Okay... maybe not. But it's still a pretty damn good stem.

trail fairy
    Check out Straitline there stems look awesome with some nice clamping features, I wish Thomson made a 60mm and 70mm like the 50mm shape.

http://www.straitlinecomponents.com/products/stems.php
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Check out Straitline there stems look awesome with some nice clamping features, I wish Thomson made a 60mm and 70mm like the 50mm shape.

http://www.straitlinecomponents.com/products/stems.php
    They look awesome, but $120 =\, I think I'm going holzfeller, about $35, not too heavy, stiff as heck, and all polished eye-candy looking to boot. Maybe I'll get a holzfeller bar to go with.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by alexit
    They look awesome, but $120 =\, I think I'm going holzfeller, about $35, not too heavy, stiff as heck, and all polished eye-candy looking to boot. Maybe I'll get a holzfeller bar to go with.
    Sweet the Tru HFs are nice and strong the ploished ones look sweet, get the bar as well
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

"Its All Good"
    That Straitline kit looks great, but am still a Thomson fan....... The RF Diablos are pretty sturdy too...........Sounds like you got a good deal though on the Holzfeller, could treat yourself to a bar also.....

Its all good
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
    Quote Originally Posted by alexit
    Check with this seller on eBay. I bought a 60mm Holzfeller from him for $20. BIN. They don't have any listed now, but I know I seen them listed last week and he lists more than one when they are listed.

When I bought mine from them they didn't have them listed either, I just asked when I bought a saddle from them and they shipped the stem with the saddle at no additional cost. Good seller

Give it a shot, I can't remember the shipping cost, but you will be under $30. with shipping.
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by spacoli
    Check with this seller on eBay. I bought a 60mm Holzfeller from him for $20. BIN. They don't have any listed now, but I know I seen them listed last week and he lists more than one when they are listed.

When I bought mine from them they didn't have them listed either, I just asked when I bought a saddle from them and they shipped the stem with the saddle at no additional cost. Good seller

Give it a shot, I can't remember the shipping cost, but you will be under $30. with shipping.
    I bought from the same seller. Actually picked up some Azonic Riser ProTapers at the same time, along with some tires. Great deals and will combine shipping.

Would do business again A+A+A+A+A, great ebayer, fast shipping

lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by spacoli

Already ordered it from Jenson, but thanks for the tip, good god those are some good prices: holzfeller crankset w/guide for $125, trailpimp wheelset with nevegals and tubes for $225, etc.

mtbr member
    7sette stumpy stem is only 25 on pricepoint and i had it and loved it
    http://pricepoint.com/detail/12725-3...tumpy-Stem.htm

Members who have read this thread: 0