steelhead- Mtbr.com

Thread: steelhead

banned

steelhead

What would be good FR/DJ fork for a steelhead?

Portland, OR
    something between 80-130mm of travel. Z.1's DJ series from zocchi. you could also look just into a trashed used pike. if you get something like the domain or the more affordable stance flow, you could adjust your travel from 120-150mm of travel, makeing your bike a little more FR worthy.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I put on an '03 Manitou Firefly, before they were changed to the SPV. The TPC+ damping that is in the fork is excellent, it is probably a touch on the long side for dirt jumping (130mm), but since I use it mostly for freeriding (60%) over dirtjumping (40%) it's worth it. I've tried a couple of other forks, and they just dont seem to suit the bike as well.

mtbr member
    a lot of people are huckin the Gold Labels lately, and of course they are perfect for DJs. Maybe go with the 100mm version if you do more freeriding
    New Nemesis Project Streetfighter: $500 with headset, email [email protected]

The Beaver
    Check your pm's
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

Depending on what you value more, you will seek a different amount of travel. So, a Pike would be nice for the adj travel. If you can have only one travel setting, however, I'd go with something between 100 and 130mm. Shorter travel forks will give you steeper angles, longer travel forks give you slacker angles. A steelhead will rip downhill with a 150mm fork--it's super fun on trails, but it's a bit slack. An 80mm forks work fine, but the bike won't handle so well in the rough, it's more of a precision jumping machine.

Premium Member
    80mm of travel is perfect on the Steelhead. 100mm is a bit too long.

mtbr member
    how do you guys feel about a QR front wheel/fork for DJ rather than a 20mm?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    my friend put a Marz AllMtn 130mm, and its ok, i would have put a Pike on but o well.

mtbr member
    ive had 155mm on the stealhead and it worked out fine
    Signatures are for losers

I like to ride my bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat tyres
    What would be good FR/DJ fork for a steelhead?
    There's a local rider on a Steelhead. He switches between a 100mm DJ, a 170mm Junior T and a Z1.

The 170 fork does not stop him from doing anything uphill and he's on a singlespeed! It's simply personal preferance, but a Pike or Lyrick would work well.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

...abuse these forks.
    the steelhead is probably the most versatile bike i have ridden and despite having other supposedly 'better bikes' it is still my fave. ive got the djIII. but you might look into the funn stiffy fork (rigid with 20mm axle)

banned
    thankx for the advice, it's gonna be a pike, the build begins tonight, i'll post some pics

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    for straight up dj use I like my 100mm dj3, might even drop it to 80mm soon. but if i was FR I would like something in the 150ish range. I for a while had a 150mm dj2 (oem off a big hit) and it was a little to slacked for urban stuff but if i was flowing down a run and doing drops/hucks then it would be nice to have the extra travel.

mtbr member
    hey merky, how do you like the dj3? its a QR fork correct?

Glad to Be Alive
    a custom slammed Z-1 by Nemesis project
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    a custom slammed Z-1 by Nemesis project
    Do you have a Steelhead too?
    I would agree if and only if you mean a Z-1 lowered to somewhere between 100 and 135mm of travel. I will be running the above setup once I've saved enough to get the Z-1 Sport, but I'll be doing the lowering myself.
    "60% freeride, 40% DJ" with a Z-1 set at 65mm, however, would be less than optimal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    no mine came off a kona bike so it 20mm TA, thats the only way to go

Portland, OR
    QR forks are okay. just replace your wheelsets QR system for a bolt on. just about as stiff as 20mm
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Is the Steelhead OK for DH?
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMk
    I would agree if and only if you mean a Z-1 lowered to somewhere between 100 and 135mm of travel. I will be running the above setup once I've saved enough to get the Z-1 Sport, but I'll be doing the lowering myself.
    "60% freeride, 40% DJ" with a Z-1 set at 65mm, however, would be less than optimal.

oh yeah....but the Nemesis Project does it so sweet....even with TI-Springs....talk to Brad about it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebomber
    Is the Steelhead OK for DH?
    well im not a hardtail DH fan so id say no. I think that the steelhead is a great entry DJ/FR frame but it leans toward the DJ side alot geo. wise. I have one as stated and I really didnt like it with 150mm of fork on the front, it just way raked out and if im doing FR i want at least 150mm fork travel. the frame is desinged around a 80-100mm of fork. Iv seen them with every type of fork that is made but the best rideing ones are the ones with lowered Z-1's, DJ 1,2,3, or a lowered sherman series (flick, firefly) fork, or a lowerd pike u-turn.

Portland, OR
    the steelhead I believe can handle DH just fine. I've been thinking of putting one together with a 170mm fork. the steelhead rakes out VERY nicely with longer travel forks.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

@wishEMT
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombrio69
    my friend put a Marz AllMtn 130mm, and its ok, i would have put a Pike on but o well.
    ya, it feels great handling wise and works awesome for me so far, if i could have affordeed a pike i would have got one, but an air fork for 170, hard to pass that up

Members who have read this thread: 0