Steel bead- Mtbr.com

Thread: Steel bead

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Steel bead

What are people riding for dh tires, and do you like them. Do you have a lot to compare it to?

mtbr member
    1.Continental Kaisers.
    2.Yes.
    3.Yes, they hold their own with the usual suspects of DH rubber.
    Good do everything DH tire-race/park/dry/loose/wet.

Wait for me!
    Intense Invaders, run them with tubes and I've never had a problem. Multi-ply folding bead.

I got a set of Maxxis Ardents with wire beads off Jenson on sale once, they are very heavy! 1200g, or two pounds a tire. Not so bad on a DH bike, but I tried them on my AM bike and pedaling was miserable. Just an FYI

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah i also got the ardents off jenson, haven't ridden them yet but noticed one of them has a pretty good wobble in it and it's on a perfectly true wheel. Is this norm? I thought I had heard some negative comments about the ardents, aside from the weight. Where they just haters or are they not that good?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Micahgray View Post
    Yeah i also got the ardents off jenson, haven't ridden them yet but noticed one of them has a pretty good wobble in it and it's on a perfectly true wheel. Is this norm? I thought I had heard some negative comments about the ardents, aside from the weight. Where they just haters or are they not that good?
    sounds like you don't have it seated correctly.

1200g is quite standard for a real DH tire. If your riding jump trails you probably don't need it, but if you've got big rocks roots or ruts or sharp pokey bits, its pretty important. They also grip better and provide more damping at speed, which I think makes an even bigger difference. Even if they flatted the same amount as single plys at the same pressure, it would still be worth running a big meaty tire.

The ardents are fine. they've got a pretty big gap between the center knobs and the side knobs, so you should be prepared to really need to lay the bike down to get that corner grip. They don't brake super well, but they get the job done. Basically, not one of the *best* tires on the market, but still very very good and way better then most. At those prices, its pretty much impossible to say no unless you really like tweaking out your gear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm running an ardent 2.6 on my HT. Seems smaller than 2.6 wide, its heavy (about as heavy as my Geax Neuron 2.3, but the neuron is listed to be lighter...). I think it handles well. I've put about the same miles on it as I have my neuron and its showing less wear.

Overall, good tire, would consider buying again especially at that price, but I may look into something lighter.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    im using Kenda Nevegel 2.5's. They work awesome and grip like beasts. They wear alright i guess.

Members who have read this thread: 0