Starting to plan my "family" vacation for next year... Snowshoe West Va...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Starting to plan my "family" vacation for next year... Snowshoe West Va...

Looking to spend a week at Snowshoe, West Virginia next summer. Looking for suggestions of place to stay and what trails are on the top of the list... Bringing the family along also so have to plan some family time in between riding, any suggestions?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Snowshoe does have other things to do but I haven't done any of them except visit the National Radio Astronomy Observatory. Pretty cool little field trip. If you can afford to tay at the top, you have easy access to the village. I have stayed at the Inn at the bottom (less expensive, big buffet breakfast, hot tubs and pool). I stayed at Elk River Lodging Snowshoe WV - Snowshoe Mountain Resort WV last year. It's about 5-6 miles from the bottom. Really cool vibe, with Hotel rooms in the main building, a bunkhouse (where I stayed) and I believe even some cabins. Good people really like it. As for the trails, if your gonna be there a week you get to them all. The western side has much longer, more DH runs. The Basin side shorter, steeper, usually wetter, and filled with a lot for FR stunts. The Basin side also has the beginner runs that traverse the mountain on the north side. If I was gonna be there for a week I'd look up Timberline in Davis also. Also, right next to Elk River in Slatty Fork are some excellent XC trails with fire road climbs and single track DHs

I here Cass Scenic Railroad is nice also but have never done it.
    Cass Scenic Railroad State Park

Other thing to do at SS
    Summer Activities at Snowshoe Mountain Resort, West Virginia

Area trails
    Props Run Trail Mountain Bike Trail in Slatyfork, West Virginia || SINGLETRACKS.COM

That sould get ya started.

Some Assembly Required
    Not sure what you'er looking for/expect, but the Snowshoe Inn @ the btm of the mtn is very affoardable & has indoor pool/ hottub jacuzzi'z & a restaurant. If you dont mind dropping some coin I'm sure the top of the mtn offers something for any amount you are willing to spend.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Besides riding as much as I can... I need to plan other activities... Maybe... after my wife does a few runs herself she will forget about the "activities" LOL. With teenage daughters and a 10year old boy. Is it recommended to stay at the top? Money not too much of the issue...only family trip planned this year due to weekend MTB trips happening.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I would stay at the top. I think the places at the top have some form of "stay and play" benefit for other activities on the mountain. Plus since your staying so long you might be able to negotiate a good package rate.

Special Lister
    I agree with most of the responses. A week would be a long time for Snowshoe if you ask me. Unless you plan to go to say Slatyfork area for some good XC trails or Fayetteville for rafting. My family and I went to Snowshoe for 4 days this past sumer. I have a 3 and 5 year old and they loved the pool up on top and beach area on the basin side at the lake. But 4 days were max. 2 and a half days on the DH trails are good for me. I have been several times with friends and I can get my fill in that time. I would look on VRBO.com for good rentals and rates from owners of places at the top. As for me I plan to hit Winter Park again...That place rocks!

mtbr member
    Total stay time is still undecided. .. might throw something else in there also. I know the kids want to try white water rafting. Maybe we will stop somewhere else on the way down or the way back. Thanks for the help. Still have plenty of time to plan....