starting out DH- Mtbr.com

Thread: starting out DH

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

starting out DH

Hey guys

I am currently starting some downhill i ride xc but recently just started riding DH and im not Hooked, was just wanting to pick your brains, i am looking for my first full face helmet and just wanted your thoughts on which i should purchase

Cheers Twiitch

Glad to Be Alive
    gyro remedy...good protection and a lot of vents.....not that pricey either
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    GIRO REMEDY..can be had for cheap and it works very well..if you go 661 make sure you try them on as they are sized weird

mtbr member
    Don't even waste your time with mountain biking.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=699906

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Dont waste my time ????
    Im not looking to turn pro and get paid and then ***** about surfers making more money i ride because well i love to ride thats it no need to over complicate it.

Im not going to stop riding because pro surfers earn more money then our pro's thats just insane and how does that even help our pro's infact if every body did not waste there time it would ruin the sport and then where would our pro's be ??

Working on my Drops
    Urge down-o-matic.

Picture Unrelated
    Everyone will recommend the helmets they like the best, but it won't matter how nice the helmet if it doesn't fit your head right. You need to try on helmets, worst case scenario you need to buy from an online dealer with a really good return policy (huckandroll.com comes to mind). Personally, the Fox Rampage fits me well but in hindsight I wish I had saved for a Troy Lee D2.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiitch
    Dont waste my time ????
    Im not looking to turn pro and get paid and then ***** about surfers making more money i ride because well i love to ride thats it no need to over complicate it.

Im not going to stop riding because pro surfers earn more money then our pro's thats just insane and how does that even help our pro's infact if every body did not waste there time it would ruin the sport and then where would our pro's be ??
    Oh my God! It was a joke. Don't get your d!ck in a knot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    Everyone will recommend the helmets they like the best, but it won't matter how nice the helmet if it doesn't fit your head right. You need to try on helmets, worst case scenario you need to buy from an online dealer with a really good return policy (huckandroll.com comes to mind). Personally, the Fox Rampage fits me well but in hindsight I wish I had saved for a Troy Lee D2.
    I can't really say I have very much experience with helmets but I was also looking at a rampage but ended up saving up and splurging on a D2. I love it. It fits great and vents really well. But I have to admit, the main reason I got the D2 was so I could have a helmet that matched the rest of my outfit lol

mtbr member
    My best advice is do not buy based on cost. Ask yourself the question "How much is your melon worth?" There is a reason some helmets cost $60 and others are $450, and it isn't just the name on the side.

If you are lucky, you have a local shop with a selection of helmets in inventory you can try on. I would ignore the cheap models and look at something like Fox Rampage, Gyro Remedy, and TLD D2.

I tried on about 5 different helmets when I bought my first full face lid. Without a doubt, the feel and fit of the TLD D2 was head and shoulders above the rest. Although it is pricey for an entry level helmet, you should be able to find a previous years composite model for less than $200. I paid $190 for a 2009 model last year. In the grand scheme of things, an extra $100 to protect your head is one hell of a bargain.

Even though I also have a TLD D3 Carbon, I prefer my D2 for every day riding. It is smaller and half a pound lighter, which makes a difference during a long day of shuttle/pushing. I'll bust out my D3 on race day. Since the D2 has a smaller outer shell, it isn't the ideal helmet for use with a Leatt brace but it is still compatible. The D2 would still be my frst choice.

The Real Blade

Full Face

I'm a Bell man because a Moto 4 saved my life back in my motocross days.I went to a med from a large and I still added extra padding inside. A small was way to tight. I don't know of a comfortable good fitting helmet. As long as I can forget about it while riding then it's a good fit that will hopefully stay on in a crash. Mine matches my fig.

Members who have read this thread: 0