Starting out- Mtbr.com

Thread: Starting out

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Starting out

Hey guys, I just started looking into real mountain biking. Since I was 9 years old, i would always jump my bikes with friends and ride in the woods. And lately been riding a wal-mart bike that is now a hump of metal. my bake wheel was already warped from riding it to hard, so one day i took it of a jump and when i landed sideways kind of, the wheel just collapsed and trashed my self and the bike. Now im 16 soon to be 17 and i have job and driving. so i think now is a good time to get into mountain biking. im looking on spending a max of $600, and i decided to get a hardtail since a good full suspension bike will cost to much for me, and i really don't like the way full suspension bikes feel. i went to a bike shop and talked to a guy that seem really experienced, and he said that a Cannondale f5 would be good for me, with a medium frame since im 5'9" i should look for a frame from 17" to 19". i would like a bike with good disc brakes cause i have had some bad experiences with v-brakes and want something a lot more reliable. so i was looking at the f5 and looked at other bikes to compare and i ended up like the iron horse maverick 3.0 more, and the maverick is $200 cheaper so thats a plus, but then a found a iron horse Yakuza Chimpira HT for $400 instead of $700. and i like the yakuza the most and it has a good price.
    So if you guys can give me some more info and tips and maybe even better bikes and deals that would be very much appreciated.

mtbr member
    So do you want a bike for mostly Dirt Jumping or some possible trail riding or a freeride bike? Regarding the shopping, I would suggest going through all the respectable online shops, they usually have better deals than local bike shops(unless you know someone). Try Go-ride and what not... I think pretty much any main company you decide to buy from there going to have a good bike. Personally the only DJ bikes I have ridden are Sinister ridge(pricy), Cannondale Chase and Giant STP. I think they are all good bikes, and they come with disc brakes minus the ridge b/c its custom. Honestly any main company you go with will pretty much have a good DJ bike that you can choose from. As long as your keep up with the maintance for it, it's going to run good.

I wanna go fast!
    Oct 2005
    The Yakuza Chimpira is listed as a $1000 bike on Iron Horse's website. If you can get it for $400 then I'd say it's a smoking deal. I don't have a ton of experience with freeride bikes but that looks like a really fun hardtail that could probably take some abuse. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    o yeah sorry, i forgot to say that i would like a good trail bike that can take a lot of beating, do good jumps but mainly for trail riding and downhill.

mtbr member
    Um...trial riding and Downhill racing are almost polar opposites. If you are going to do serious Dh coures you need a full suspention bike to have a chance, yeah you can ride them on a Hardtail but your going to be slow. I would assess more seriously what you really want to ride or commit to buying two bikes. It's very wise to buy your first DH bikes used, this way you can buy a more high end bike that might only have one season use on it for cheap. However from the sounds of what you want to do if you want solely one bike that will be able to ride it all I would stick to a low travel dual suspention bike. Something with around 4-5 inches of travel and a smaller frame good for DJing. I would lean toward a Dh bike but im bias since I just race Dh lol.

Shop *****
    TRAIL, not TRIAL.
    No full suspension for dirt jumps, it's a Nono.
    DH Bikes are expensive and un necessary for a beginner, don't try and feed him crap he doesn't need.
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    so what you trying to say, cause you got me lost, all i want in a bike is to do a couple of jump on trails, and do some trail riding but not like freeride or downhill like a easy start but i do already have a bit of riding experience. just taking it further.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drakan
    TRAIL, not TRIAL.
    DH Bikes are expensive and un necessary for a beginner, don't try and feed him crap he doesn't need.
    Dude what are you talking about... it all depends on your skill level as a rider, I started all mountain biking 3 years ago with a DH bike and started racing. It's not crap, if your dedicated do what you want. And fullies for DJing is not a NONO, it just takes more skill. Forgive my previous spelling errors I had a 15 hour work day and i have been drinking some sailor jerrys.Yea most people should start on a Hardtail, but if you know what you really want do stop it, go for it.

mtbr member
    Jeez drakan, that is pretty level headed thinking for a 17y/o.

Agreed, a HT is the way to go for what the OP is looking for. That Yakuza Chimpira HT looks like a pretty good deal. I would say throw a leg over it and see how it feels.

TRAIL, not TRIAL.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadlink404
    so what you trying to say, cause you got me lost, all i want in a bike is to do a couple of jump on trails, and do some trail riding but not like freeride or downhill like a easy start but i do already have a bit of riding experience. just taking it further.
    Then I would suggest getting mainly a trail specific bikes but one with not such a big frame and something with a good fork on it for the Djing. I hear Jamis Eurekas are alright for that kind of riding. Your threw DH in there and it threw me off as you what you really want to be riding.

Shop *****
    OK, here's how it is for me:
    You suggest him getting a DH bike for trails and dirt jumps.
    You say that he should choose what he wants to start with (I agree)
    You say that hardtail DH racers are slow. I'm sorry but some of the pros could kick YOUR ass at a techy DH race when they were on a HT, and you on the DH full suspension of your choice. It's skill, not amount of travel.
    Trail biking and DH racing are not polar opposites, there are quite a few similarities.
    Sorry, but you need to stop being stupid before I will take you seriously.

To the original poster:
    Get the IH. You don't need a full suspension, and you don't want one. If you are DJ'ing, the only full suspension I would reccomend is the Transition Double, which is way out of your price range.
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

mtbr member
    OK, here's how it is for me:
    You suggest him getting a DH bike for trails and dirt jumps.
    You say that he should choose what he wants to start with (I agree)
    You say that hardtail DH racers are slow. I'm sorry but some of the pros could kick YOUR ass at a techy DH race when they were on a HT, and you on the DH full suspension of your choice. It's skill, not amount of travel.
    Trail biking and DH racing are not polar opposites, there are quite a few similarities.
    Sorry, but you need to stop being stupid before I will take you seriously.

To the original poster:
    Get the IH. You don't need a full suspension, and you don't want one. If you are DJ'ing, the only full suspension I would reccomend is the Transition Double, which is way out of your price range.

If your directing that toward me you have no idea what my skill level(*aside from my quote that says I race expert) is so that statement is highly inaccurate... When it comes to a real DH trail a hardtail cant keep up it cant not provide enough traction or stability(hence no one uses them in competitions). PS i keep up with some pros in my area and will be racing semipro next year. Don't make uninformed accusations. I mentioned a fully b/c he said he wanted to ride DH. I was mearly suggesting different bikes because he said acouple different types of riding styles. But in the end he made it clear what he really wanted(mainly a trail bike but something to Dj on) and I changed what I said. No need to get critical. And your right if i was a bad rider on a fully any good rider could beat me on a hardtail. Your might want to think before insulting someone, your making assumptions on the validity of acouple posts on a forum...

Members who have read this thread: 0