Starting my HT Buildup, just need help on a frame..- Mtbr.com
    Renegade of Krunk

Starting my HT Buildup, just need help on a frame..

Well,
    I've decided that working for the past 6 months has finally payed off. I've got a nice $1,800 saved up from working my tail off pretty much every weekend and have decided it's time to spoil myself by building up a nice Hard Tail bike. Right now I'm rockin a totally sick Raleigh Ram 2.0 Basically, it was a $300 way (we know a bike shop owner pretty well, good deals) to see if I would like moutain biking over bmx. I will never go back to a bmx bike again, need I say more?

I live about a 3 minute ride away from, literally, an endless set of trails (the one advantage of living in the Desert, that and I can ride year round) that are very "light duty" I guess you could say. It's not like I will need BJ's Demo 9 (that we've heard oh so much about You got a sick bike my man) to get down any of the trail. I will also be doing a lot of dirt jumping and urban riding.

I've decided, that instead of spending a ton of money by buying every part seperatley, I am just going to cop out and by a build kit. Sure, it won't be as fun and cool to build the bike up myself (picking and choosing every little thing I want), but I am not going to spend all my money one one thing considering I have a ton of hobbies (my car, quads, paintball, girls, etc).

My plan is to buy this build kit:
    http://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetai...=39&sort=Price

Sure, it doesn't have the most heavy duty, hardcore components but hell, thanks to my skinny genes I am around 6' 1" and weigh 135lbs soaking wet (in black socks), so I wont be pouding the crap out of my bike weight wise.

I haven't really been looking into HT frames much lately (was in a should I go FS or HT mode for quite a while), but I've been looking at the Azonic Steelhead and DS1 frames. Soul Cycles is supposed to be coming out with some new HT frames that caught my interest (mainly the dual slalom oriented one) but I don't think they've released anything on them yet. I am looking for a frame that isn't a hardcore DJ or trails only frame (Heh, even though I am looking at the Steelhead). Which is why the DS1 and Soul Cycles are "reaching out to me" since they are more in the Dual Slalom category.

Sorry for the long post, being excited about getting a new bike + having quite a few ideas going on at once calls for some longer posts..The only thing I'd realy want to add to the build kit is the Blackspire Big Ring Bash Guard, keep the pants out of the chain AND add protection against rocks.

So, any suggestions on what frame to get and what parts I should look into changing out would be appreciated Any feedback in general would be nice too
    -John.

Yay
    Quote Originally Posted by E30Evolution
    Well,
    I've decided that working for the past 6 months has finally payed off. I've got a nice $1,800 saved up from working my tail off pretty much every weekend and have decided it's time to spoil myself by building up a nice Hard Tail bike. Right now I'm rockin a totally sick Raleigh Ram 2.0 Basically, it was a $300 way (we know a bike shop owner pretty well, good deals) to see if I would like moutain biking over bmx. I will never go back to a bmx bike again, need I say more?

I live about a 3 minute ride away from, literally, an endless set of trails (the one advantage of living in the Desert, that and I can ride year round) that are very "light duty" I guess you could say. It's not like I will need BJ's Demo 9 (that we've heard oh so much about You got a sick bike my man) to get down any of the trail. I will also be doing a lot of dirt jumping and urban riding.

I've decided, that instead of spending a ton of money by buying every part seperatley, I am just going to cop out and by a build kit. Sure, it won't be as fun and cool to build the bike up myself (picking and choosing every little thing I want), but I am not going to spend all my money one one thing considering I have a ton of hobbies (my car, quads, paintball, girls, etc).

My plan is to buy this build kit:
    http://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetai...=39&sort=Price

Sure, it doesn't have the most heavy duty, hardcore components but hell, thanks to my skinny genes I am around 6' 1" and weigh 135lbs soaking wet (in black socks), so I wont be pouding the crap out of my bike weight wise.

I haven't really been looking into HT frames much lately (was in a should I go FS or HT mode for quite a while), but I've been looking at the Azonic Steelhead and DS1 frames. Soul Cycles is supposed to be coming out with some new HT frames that caught my interest (mainly the dual slalom oriented one) but I don't think they've released anything on them yet. I am looking for a frame that isn't a hardcore DJ or trails only frame (Heh, even though I am looking at the Steelhead). Which is why the DS1 and Soul Cycles are "reaching out to me" since they are more in the Dual Slalom category.

Sorry for the long post, being excited about getting a new bike + having quite a few ideas going on at once calls for some longer posts..The only thing I'd realy want to add to the build kit is the Blackspire Big Ring Bash Guard, keep the pants out of the chain AND add protection against rocks.

So, any suggestions on what frame to get and what parts I should look into changing out would be appreciated Any feedback in general would be nice too
    -John.

Have you looked at the 05' Specialized P3? Ive had mine for about 2 months and I cant complain about anything on it. Ive done just about everything on it(DJ/FR/XC/Urban). For $1600 you cant beat the build, and it has the blackspire NS-1 chainguide and bashguard, and a lifetime warranty on the frame!

If you dont dig the P3, I would recommend the Santa Cruz Chameleon as another "do it all" hardtail, or the Santa Cruz Jackal for more of a DJ specific bike.

I would either put a bike together piece by piece, or just stick to a package deal like the P3.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, -WOW- What a ride...!!!!

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb care bear
    Santa Cruz Chameleon as another "do it all" hardtail.
    I love my Chameleon. I run a Sherman up front and find that the bike rocks for trail riding and doing drops. Right now, I have dual 24's on it and the Shermans all dialed down and it makes a pretty nice DJ/park bike as well. If you want a do all bike, the Chameleon or something like it is your answer.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Go with the SC Titan. $200 for the frame, half that if you get sponsored (relatively easy) Its pretty burly, good looking, and has nice geometry for what your looking to do.

FM
    mtbr member
    Definately check out the Peyto Wild Bill and Dekerf Implant.