starter FR/DH, Spec. Big Hit?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

starter FR/DH, Spec. Big Hit?

i'm looking for a more dedicated lift access bike (5-7inch trav) and i've seen these used for about $1000 which is around my price point. there are plenty of them out there used for sale so i was wondering what all you guys thought of them, hopefully one or two of you have one. the rear wheel is curious, is it always a 24 inch in back or can you run a 26in. That would help me decide against buying just the frame since i have several 26 wheel lying around.
    also curious to know which years to stay away from or what level not to get, it's obvious the 'grom' one is for kids. and the latest version looks wierd to, with the shock angled down

anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anything with a 24 wheel is older. The fsr suspension rides nice and I don't think it has changed much over the years. I know shops on theeast coast have 2009 big hit 1 for 1275!! Spec was running a deal or something. There's a place in Cali that has them for 1500. Good luck

Moose Member
    Use eBay and craigslist. I almost got 3 big hits on craigslist but they all went to fast. If u like the 24" wheel go fo it, if not don't get it. My first dh nine I got was a used Intense m1 for $900 and I love that bike. It's a great bike. There really are no "beginner/starter" bikes. Get what you like.

mtbr member
    I know someone who rode a bighit spec and it was a complete pile...It would do some pretty big hits, but it was way heavy and had horrible components. I really dont know how comfortable I felt with him hitting the jumps he did. Honestly though, you can find a ton of used DH/FR bikes on craigslist for right around $1k. Maybe look at some that are $1200-$1400 and see if they will come down to the $1k...but I think you can get a much better bike than the spec for $1k.

Moose Member
    Yea the big hits I looked at were around $600-700 each, so Im glad I spent the extra cash and got an m1. If people on craigslist wanna sell it bad enough they will drop their price, but if u want a big hit, they're only worth about 650.

mtbr member
    bighits should probably be named bigsh*ts. Like mentioned above, horrible part spec and the bearings have been known to get really loose and sloppy in the rear end fast.
    Cleverly disguised as an adult

Urban Ninja
    I bought a 2006 Big Hit II a while ago. Changed out almost everything and sold the old parts. I love the bike. Nothing special but I'm not racing it so it's a great park bike for me. Although I had a buddie who got his down to 38lbs with a boxxer and light parts and he raced pro.

I can beat on it all day and if I get a few scratches it's no biggie. I changed the Front fork to a 888 and the rear shock to a fox rc and the bars to Easton right away. All the other parts I've changed out as I broke/wore out stuff. It's pretty nice now.

Urban Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmonkeyboy
    bighits should probably be named bigsh*ts. Like mentioned above, horrible part spec and the bearings have been known to get really loose and sloppy in the rear end fast.
    Funny. My experience is quite the opposite. I have two Whistler road trips on my current bike and four years of repetitive trips to Northstar and I just serviced the bike. I've wore out a few shock eyelet bushings but everything else is solid. I have the 26" rear wheel version.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'd recommend staying away from the 24" - watch ebay, be patient, save a few more $$, you can get a "modern" Dh bike around $1500. Search for specific brands and models.

In Armor We Trust
    You should be able to find a decent used complete bike on CL or EBay for that price. I've seen stuff right around that for bikes like slightly older Kona Stinky/Stab, Transition Dirtbag, Norco Shore/A-Line, Iron Horse 7point something, Banshee Scream/Wildcard, etc...
    DH: Pivot Phoenix
    AM: Pivot Mach 6
    FG: KHS Flite 100

Moose Member
    Try pinkbike.com. They have lotsa big hits.

mtbr member
    If you want to do downhill, stay away from the Big Hit SPEC (single pivot elevated chainstay.) Some people will try to pass those off the other type of Big Hit--the FSR version--but they had less travel and were much cheaper than the FSR. They were only about $880 new, but I still see people trying to see five-year-old versions for $600+. Don't be fooled.

But the FSR is a very good bike, particularly for riders just getting started. My first bike was a Big Hit and I loved it. But do know that the 24" rear wheel is the only option for '05 and older Big Hits--keep some tires and tubes handy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    alright thanks guys...i think i'll just ride what i got for now
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

Members who have read this thread: 0