starnut vs headlock- Mtbr.com

Poll: headlock or star-but on your dh/fr bike?

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bbbswan05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    38

    starnut vs headlock

    hey,
    i was just wondering what people run on their DH/FR bikes in regards to a star-nut or headlock. my headlock is pretty stripped but after getting a new headset im debating on using a star-nut. will there be a drastic change in strength and reliability? or should i be fine running this?

    thanks for the help


    edit: just for info its a devinci wilson with an 06 boxxer team (if that matters...)

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seanmankiw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    125
    Hopey!


    2006 sunday wc

  3. #3
    Bike Ninja |||
    Reputation: chooofoojoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,037
    Get the hope headlock. its like a star-nut cuz there is no massive rod that goes through the head tube, and they don't weigh a lot, but it's removable so you don't marr up your fork.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

  4. #4
    Broken and dizzy
    Reputation: Surfinguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    692
    I'm running the Woodman Headlock....



  5. #5
    Old No. 7
    Reputation: fred.r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,453
    I've only ever tried starnuts, but I've never had a problem. It's always worked for me, and it weights less, so I'm stickin with it. Other may have different experiances.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

    ...the mustache has spoken

  6. #6
    T.Dot Represent
    Reputation: finchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,290
    im a big fan of the amoeba headlock.... never slips sits in there does its job cant ask for more
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

  7. #7
    aka Jesse Palmer
    Reputation: jp3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    857
    Rod-type star nut replacements are completely useless. All the star nut does is preload the headset before you tighten your stem and top fork crown. I guess you could use one of those expanding wedge top caps made for carbon forks if you don't want to mess with the star nut installation, but "headlockers" are just dead weight.

  8. #8
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    The Hope one doesn't seem to work quite as well as some of the others. It's an expander, you'll see them on some road bikes with a carbon steerer.

    I have a star fangled nut right now, it works fine. But if I had the choice (Pike can't run a Headlock) I would use a Headlock. I had one in my Sherman, and it was great.

  9. #9
    aka Jesse Palmer
    Reputation: jp3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    The Hope one doesn't seem to work quite as well as some of the others.
    How does it not work as well? All it was to do is keep the headset stack preloaded for 10 seconds before you get your stem clamped down... It seems to me that if you need a headlock to keep your stack together you have some serious issues that need to be worked out anyway

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    58
    I'm with JP3D. Just to be clear. You could take the star nut and top cap completely off the bike after you tighten your stem bolts. Why waste money on something that does almost nothing for your bike!
    Been workin' on bike's since I was 14. I'm 25 now and still don't know everything.

  11. #11
    Broken and dizzy
    Reputation: Surfinguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crowley
    I'm with JP3D. Just to be clear. You could take the star nut and top cap completely off the bike after you tighten your stem bolts. Why waste money on something that does almost nothing for your bike!
    Cause I'm a lazy bastard and I hate dealing with those friggin star-nuts. Put the bottom section of the head-lock in, drop in the top cap w/bolt, tighten and you're done. No special tool, no hammers no hassle.



  12. #12
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    The Hope (and other expanding) plugs can be removed as well. I'm just not a fan.

  13. #13
    SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Reputation: suicidebomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,253
    does the starnut require an Allen wrench?
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

  14. #14
    aka Jesse Palmer
    Reputation: jp3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebomber
    does the starnut require an Allen wrench?
    Star nut install - once you have the thing installed you simply put your stem and spacers on, and your topcap and bolt on top of that and then tighten the topcap bolt only enough to preload the headset then tighten your stem bolts (and upper crown on double crown fork) which do all the work keeping stuff in place. More info on headset installation/adjustment

  15. #15
    Bike Ninja |||
    Reputation: chooofoojoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,037
    Quote Originally Posted by jp3d
    How does it not work as well? All it was to do is keep the headset stack preloaded for 10 seconds before you get your stem clamped down... It seems to me that if you need a headlock to keep your stack together you have some serious issues that need to be worked out anyway
    um, not to be a dick, but the starnut isn't just there for preloading. it's there to preload, and also keep the tension. what happens when you crash and your bars / stem moves? every crash I have been in, my stem has moved and therefore loosened the headset. some people are talking about clamping down the stem and ditching their headlock or the sort. not a good Idea in my book. but ok. I just like the hope because if you ever change forks you can just take it out and your steer on your other fork is nice and clean. but a starnut seems to work perfectly fine. my .02c
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

  16. #16
    aka Jesse Palmer
    Reputation: jp3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    um, not to be a dick, but the starnut isn't just there for preloading. it's there to preload, and also keep the tension.
    "...the stem plays a dual role: it clamps around the steer tube to connect the handlebar to the fork, and it also keeps the headset in proper adjustment by preventing the top headset cup from sliding up the steering tube." - Lennard Zinn, Zinn & The Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance 4th Edition

    "the cap and bolt at the top of the stem do not secure the stem onto the steering column. The bolt or bolts on the side of the stem keep the stem from moving once the adjustment is made. The cap is used for bearing adjustment only." - Park Tool Website

    The star nut is not designed to keep your headset together, so in that way if you crash and twist your bars a lot a head-locker might be useful.
    Last edited by jp3d; 03-14-2007 at 07:51 PM.

  17. #17
    Bike Ninja |||
    Reputation: chooofoojoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,037
    Quote Originally Posted by jp3d
    "...the stem plays a dual role: it clamps around the steer tube to connect the handlebar to the fork, and it also keeps the headset in proper adjustment by preventing the top headset cup from sliding up the steering tube." - Lennard Zinn, Zinn & The Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance 4th Edition

    "the cap and bolt at the top of the stem do not secure the stem onto the steering column. The bolt or bolts on the side of the stem keep the stem from moving once the adjustment is made. The cap is used for bearing adjustment only." - Park Tool Website

    The star nut is not designed to keep your headset together, so in that way if you crash and twist your bars a lot a head-locker might be useful.

    True. I just find the way in which you word your responses that they sound like it's ok to remove the top cap / headlock after you adjust your stem / headset. That is not a good idea in any way shape or form, this coming from a bike technician.

    You are right that the stem should carry the force of keeping the headset tight while riding, and the top cap only to temporarily hold it until the stem is set. Now, my point is that if one were to remove it, and the stem were to move somehow (my example was crashing) that the headset will most likely be loosened. This is where keeping a starnut / top cap or headlock will come in handy as you can easily fix things.

    Probably just a wording issue I had, as a mental flag went off reading some things you and other people posted, and i'm pretty sure we are both on the same page.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    952
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    every crash I have been in, my stem has moved and therefore loosened the headset.
    Wow, really? Maybe you should actually tighten the stem bolts some or get a better stem. I crash a lot and I never have this problem.

    Anyway, my favorite compression devise isn't a star-nut or a head-lock. It's a threaded nut from a 1 1/8" threaded headset. The very top of my BMX bike's Gack Amazon fork is threaded and the nut is used above the stem. By far the easiest time I've had installing/adjusting an aheadset type headset.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    30
    Carbon Fiber Starnut all the way...Count those Grams

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,099
    The headlock seems like a better (stronger) system but it also seems like overkill for most riders. I've never ripped out a starnut or had a problem nor have I heard of anyone else who has so it seems like it's a better, but unneccesary idea that ads weights. Do it for peace of mind or do it you really ride hard but it's probably not going to make much of a difference.

Members who have read this thread: 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.