Stans ZTR Flow rim for DH?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Stans ZTR Flow rim for DH?

I'm looking to get a lightweight DH wheelset built this year; I have my mind set on using Burgtec hubs with Sapim spokes and alloy nipples, and am now compiling a list of rims. So far I've come up with these to choose from:

Mavic 721
    DT 5.1
    Sun Singletrack
    Stans Flow

What would your preference be among these rims? I'm leaning towards the Stans because they weigh only 470 grams and have a 22mm inside width. Any thoughts/experience on using this rim for DH?

BTW, I weigh 150 lb and haven't had problems with my other rims (Bontrager King Earl and Sun MTX) so I'm thinking I can get away with a lighter rim.
    I will lay down my bones among the rocks and roots

moaaar shimz
    721 all the way

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have been using the older Stan's FR (545g I think) for a few years now. They have stood up well to my 200 lbs for light freeriding on the shore. I'm not always smooth but they are still dead straight with no dents.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

mtbr member
    I'm in the process of lacing up Flow rims for my 29er, but I would not want to run them on my DH rig. In fact, I need to build a new wheel for my DH bike very soon, and it will be a 721.

www.mtbfreeride.tv
    Apr 2006
    consider some spank subrosa rims also, they're in the same weight range, starting @ 565g for the 24" version. --> www.spank-bikes.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    for the money you're going to spend on those hubs and spokes, i'd consider a rim that's going to last longer than the DTs. the stan's rim is fairly new and doesn't have many reviews for your intended use.

consider the syncros DS28s. 540 g i believe. if you want to save the extra weight, go with the stans tubeless kit/ more reliable rim combo.

Members who have read this thread: 0