stanctions scratched up, do i need to worry?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

stanctions scratched up, do i need to worry?

the stanctions on my travis 150 are scratched a little bit in one spot, it just looks like it hit a very abrasive tree. Nothing deep, hardly noticeable. But I was wondering how deep is deep enough to cause problems?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    if you can feel the scratch with your fingers it may cause trouble. if it's only athestic *spelling* you should be fine. the cheep easy way to fix this is take alittle jb weld epoxy, fill in the scratch, and then sand it smooth with either high grit sandpaper or a wet stone (like for knives) if you take your time the results are great. i reccomend the wetstone cause it will only take down the burrs and not cut into your stanctions. i did this on my old dirt jumper 2 and i rode it for a year and a half with no problems at all. patience is key with this

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PLURPIMPIN
    if you can feel the scratch with your fingers it may cause trouble. if it's only athestic *spelling* you should be fine. the cheep easy way to fix this is take alittle jb weld epoxy, fill in the scratch, and then sand it smooth with either high grit sandpaper or a wet stone (like for knives) if you take your time the results are great. i reccomend the wetstone cause it will only take down the burrs and not cut into your stanctions. i did this on my old dirt jumper 2 and i rode it for a year and a half with no problems at all. patience is key with this
    Excellent advice, only part I will throw in is remember that high grit sandpaper is a very fine sandpaper.

As for the spelling, try aesthetic

What ever happened to that MTBR member sp? I miss them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PLURPIMPIN

This is what I was going to suggest , the wet stone is a fantastic idea !!!
    FYI: for the finishing work you could also use a gummi stone for deburring the edges of ski's after you stone grind them , but this might be harder to find than the wet stone .
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

mtbr member
    how careful do I have to be about the wetstone not scratching the stanction any more than it already is?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    with the wetstone it isn't really a problem.try to keep it just around the scratch but if you get alittle of it's no big deal. it'll dull the finish alittle so it won't be as glossy but it won't cause any damage taht would effect the performance

Meh.
    Excellent advice. Exactly what I would've said.

I wouldn't use anything under 1000 grit sandpaper to finish.

Members who have read this thread: 0