ssv vs. ssvf ...Difference?- Mtbr.com
    Disco-Superfly

ssv vs. ssvf ...Difference?

Just wanting to know the difference in the two... is there really a difference, or is it maketing b.s. To me its just another letter...
    maybe others wanted to know this...
    SSV (Speed Sensitive Valving)
    SSVF (Speed Sensitive Valve Floating)

did a search and found nothing....
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Former Noob Herder
    pretty much crap. One has a spring in it (SSVF), the other one doesnt. The spring actually makes things worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Disco-Superfly
    Furthered my search to the marz site.... looked almost everywhere.... and came across...:

SSV (Speed Sensitive Valving) is our simple yet sophisticated way to provide consistent fade-free damping performance. Our SSV system uses five damping circuits per leg to instantly deliver incredible damping comfort and control.
    These valves operate in the compression and rebound phase allowing varying amounts of oil to flow through the system according to force and speed of impact. SSV is configured in two ways, first the non-adjustable SSV system and secondly, the SSV system with internal rebound adjustment.
    The internal rebound adjustment is accomplished by removing the top caps and inserting a hex key into the valve and either closing or opening for greater or lesser rebound damping.

SSVF is our "Speed Sensitive Valve Floating" with a specially designed Floating Valve that further enhances the SSV concept. The floating valve instantly lets oil flow through the first valve circuit with no resistance providing greater initial and small bump sensitivity. As oil flow increases in velocity and volume, the floating valve closes, providing more oil flow resistance and hence more damping performance. The SSVF system uses an external knob to control the rebound damping.
    SSVF system can be further fine-tuned by changes in the oil viscosity and valve porting.
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

mtbr member
    i agree with the Z-man. the ssvf is awful. it spikes like mad for some reason. the ssv is a better product. while it may be no hscv, it is still a fine product. i would suggest staying away from any ssvf fork. not all of them have problems, and when they work right, they may work better than ssv. however they seem to be more prone to issues.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by mandown
    i agree with the Z-man. the ssvf is awful. it spikes like mad for some reason. the ssv is a better product. while it may be no hscv, it is still a fine product. i would suggest staying away from any ssvf fork. not all of them have problems, and when they work right, they may work better than ssv. however they seem to be more prone to issues.
    oh yay.... just got an 03 junior T.... havent rode it yet..... Im in for the crappiness... it has ssvf.... Oh well i cant afford a super T so what are you going to do.. I could'nt stand the exr comp, cant even take that thing off a curb.
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    rather than having a new thread about dampening, can someone tell me why manitou forks suck so much? Both the bikes i want had manitous on them, and i cant get either now because they suck. Stance Kingpin and Sherman Breakout.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by mandown
    actually you can make a SSVF fork into a SSV fork by removing the valve spring. Its all crap anyways....

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    actually you can make a SSVF fork into a SSV fork by removing the valve spring. Its all crap anyways....
    I will keep that in mind If I absolutely hate it on the downhills....which I most likely will..
    But how will the ssvf hold up going about 15 mph... becuase thats about how fast it is while going over rocks and sh!t...
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

TNC
    noMAD man

On making it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    pretty much crap. One has a spring in it (SSVF), the other one doesnt. The spring actually makes things worse.
    Yeah, their written description on SSVF is hilarious...as speed and oil volume increase, the damping increases also. Heck, that was the problem with SSV all by itself. Now they're gonna make it ramp up with more compression?...sounds like fun.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by j_a_k_e_69@hotmail.com
    I will keep that in mind If I absolutely hate it on the downhills....which I most likely will..
    But how will the ssvf hold up going about 15 mph... becuase thats about how fast it is while going over rocks and sh!t...
    well even thats pretty fast when you hit a sharp bump. But its one of those things that may not be as noticible unless you make the mistake of trying someone elses fork.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    No real difference. One is supposedly better, but we are talking about a real small difference, like maybe 5% different, not enough that someone would hop on either and think that either one feels any better or worse.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member

Pre-2002 SSV?

Somewhere along the way, I heard that the pre-2002 ssv's had external rebound and were very tunable and rode quite nice. Can anybody confirm this? Thanks.

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw8899
    rather than having a new thread about dampening, can someone tell me why manitou forks suck so much? Both the bikes i want had manitous on them, and i cant get either now because they suck. Stance Kingpin and Sherman Breakout.
    Manitous don't suck at all. People just don't know how to take care of them. TPC and TPC+ is as good of a system as HSCV and better than Fox.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts
    Somewhere along the way, I heard that the pre-2002 ssv's had external rebound and were very tunable and rode quite nice. Can anybody confirm this? Thanks.
    same crap as the internal adjustable ones. Its simply a big valve that regulates the flow down the center of the pumping rod. It mostly controls the rebound flow and does nothing to improve the compression stroke

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    Manitous don't suck at all. People just don't know how to take care of them. TPC and TPC+ is as good of a system as HSCV and better than Fox.

-TS
    And how exactly should i care for these forks?

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw8899
    And how exactly should i care for these forks?
    Add semi-bath fluid and check all low levels at the recommended times.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anybody reported a ssv or ssvf damper?

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    No real difference. One is supposedly better, but we are talking about a real small difference, like maybe 5% different, not enough that someone would hop on either and think that either one feels any better or worse.
    I have worked reporting damper rods on dirt bikes for years. Has anybody had success reporting the ssv or ssvf dampers to rid the compression spike? I know it will not be like a hscv or anything, but there must be improvements possible.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceride
    I have worked reporting damper rods on dirt bikes for years. Has anybody had success reporting the ssv or ssvf dampers to rid the compression spike? I know it will not be like a hscv or anything, but there must be improvements possible.
    i've tried with limited success. The valve pieces are really finicky; it is very easy to cause cavitation within the system

Disco-Superfly
    Just drill a bunch of speedholes everywhere
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceride
    switch to 5 wt oil. It's the exact same thing as making larger holes.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by BudhaGoodha
    not true, lighter oil will affect the rebound damping alot more than just enlarging the lower port. The later model SSVs already have the enlarged port tho (drill it too large and the rebound will get affected too much as well)

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BudhaGoodha
    The overriding problem is that it's such a simple damping system. You want to make it better then save your pennies. Low end products that do not perform in certain speed ranges really tick me off! Fox on the other hand does not really have a "low end" product, all their lower end stuff works as good as the high end (has the same basic damper), it just lacks adjustments. That's also why their low end fork is twice expensive as any other...
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth