ss minuteman- Mtbr.com

Thread: ss minuteman

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

New question here. ss minuteman

hey i have a couple questions regarding the balfa minuteman.

which model years had problems with the chain line ?
    how bad was this problem and is it "correctable" ?
    would you recomend running my minuteman ss or 9 speed w/ a 105 rear der ?

i ride mostly freeride, dj, little urban. i have a hardrock pro for trails so im not too concerned about that. thanks for your help !!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    if u have a trail bike, then i would SS it, i think it was the 00-01 that had the chainline prob, im currently waiting for my Evil DOC which i am goin to SS for the winter months, then back 9 it for the summer so it can freeride and trail, i only have a DH bike so this will be a welcome
    addition. post some pics when ya get her up

www.sirbikealotracing.com
    probs with chainlines were fixed by mid 2000 and all 01 models

mine is a 03 and she rocks with 9 spd set up, just set up a guide with it

mtbr member
    May 2004
    sirbikealot do u have a long or short TT? what gearing do u run on it, i am thinkn about addinng a freespin set of sprokets on the cassette like they did on some of those iron horses.
    then u can free roll backwards, the SS will be fun i think for abit

www.sirbikealotracing.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy
    sirbikealot do u have a long or short TT? what gearing do u run on it, i am thinkn about addinng a freespin set of sprokets on the cassette like they did on some of those iron horses.
    then u can free roll backwards, the SS will be fun i think for abit
    i have a long and mine is set up for 4X so i run a cassette and 34t front ring with chainguide
    Attached Images Attached Images

jtd
    mtbr member
    I have had mine setup both ways: 9-speed and SS. For DJ and street I love the SS, but for more trail riding it is probably better geared. Mine now is setup 34:16 with an 80mm fork for DJ. But I have had it with a 7" boxxer and gears too... All of which were fun setups...

I have an '04 and really have no chainline issues other than without spacing my cranks out I can't run much bigger than an 34 tooth ring in front. Not a huge deal, but the price you pay for straight stays. Also, running 34:17 runs without a tensioner in the shortest position, which is nice.

If you are running gears you need a guide. Remember they don't have iscg mounts so you need to buy a guide accordingly.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    thankls for the gearing numbers, i am gonna run my evil 32- 14 i think that will work ok, did 34-16 pedal alright, i still want torque for wall rides and stuff, but some speed for djs/> i dont have to worry about tension, ill be running infinite tug system on the DOC

jtd
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy
    thankls for the gearing numbers, i am gonna run my evil 32- 14 i think that will work ok, did 34-16 pedal alright, i still want torque for wall rides and stuff, but some speed for djs/> i dont have to worry about tension, ill be running infinite tug system on the DOC
    Gearing is really variable due to type of terrian and style of djs, etc... 34:16 works well for me and I personally wouldn't want to go any heavier. All I can tell you is just try it out and see what you think and then adjust accordingly. My friend djs 38:16, which is getting close to what you are running and doesn't have a problem. Basically trial and error...

And the running tensionless thing is really nice since you don't have to worry about having your wheel racked in the dropouts. Just run them all the way forward and go...