sram compatability question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

sram compatability question

So I got $40 bonus bucks to spend over at universal cycles and because of all the play in LX rear deraileur I'm gonna spend the money on the new one. I was wondering if a Sram 7.0 will be compatible with my deore shifters.
    Thanks for the help.
    Evan

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nope, different pull ratios exist between shimano and sram components. Is your derailleur old? I've had an LX on a much abused, poorly maintained hardtail, and it's still good as new. Just curious if I should be expecting mine to conk out. If you want to keep things cheap, just get a Deore rear der. It does the job.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker662
    So I got $40 bonus bucks to spend over at universal cycles and because of all the play in LX rear deraileur I'm gonna spend the money on the new one. I was wondering if a Sram 7.0 will be compatible with my deore shifters.
    Thanks for the help.
    Evan

As Shibby said, not compatible. Sram makes shifters that are compatible with Shimano derailleurs, but not the other way around.

If you are still considering the upgrade (shifters plus derailleur) I would say go for it. I switched from Shimano triggers to SRAM triggers about 6 months ago, absolutely love the 1:1 actuation ratio. Will be a long time before I go back to Shimano (esp with all their rapid rise....)

TJ

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    thanks for the help. As for your question Shibby... I've got it on my 2002 Rocky Mountain. I've ridden it for 2 seasons and the problem is fairly recent. It really got bad after a day of downhilling at Mount Snow. I had it adjusted and it works okay. Every now and then there is a little delay in shifting and I have to hold the lever a little longer than I used to but other than being a little annoying it's not really a big deal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So, is there actual 'play', as in, is there free movements in the pivots of the derailleur? Do you think the cage is bent a little? I've had mine for 5 years, and have had shifting problems happen 3 or 4 times, and some cleaning/fine tuning cleared up the problem. You probably thought of all this, but I thought I'd put it out there, just in case.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    yes there is actual free movement in the pivots. No cleaning will help the problem. Its just another thing that needs replacing over time.