Are Sram Chains Underrated??!?!?!??!??!??!?- Mtbr.com
    Teh Original Dirt Muffin
    Jul 2005

Are Sram Chains Underrated??!?!?!??!??!??!?

I just got through looking at the Sram chain reviews before I pick the chain I buy and it makes me wanna go puke I hear many complaints about chain snaps on the third ride or first week and lots of un-reliable complaints. The last thing I need is a chain I can't depend on because I've had one snap while pedalling and it caused a rather nasty knee bump. I can only imagine this before a drop or some dh course. So now I ask you members of MTBR.... are Sram Chains Underrated in the reviews and are they truly reliable? If so list which models you have had luck with for a 9 speed setup.

Thank you, Shredder111

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    After 4 years of running SRAM chains I've only ever had one time where the master link came apart and I lost the chain on a particulaly rocky DH trail. Other than that, no issues. I've had Shimano chains (9 speed) break under stress so I'd say SRAM chains are fine.

Glad to Be Alive
    no problems for mine.....I am running the hollow links
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Had good luck with SRAM. Broken chains of all kinds, including SRAM. The power link just rocks though. Keep a couple of spares on ya and never be left trail side to walk back.

Meh.
    People tend not to review chains unless they have issues.

The newer ones are not nearly as nice.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    People tend not to review chains unless they have issues.
    as holds true for a lot of the reviews...

The chains are good. Nothing amazing but definately not crap. I like them.
    Last edited by Jake_HT; 03-26-2007 at 04:14 PM.
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Meh.
    This is true.

Broken and dizzy
    I've been running the SRAM PC991-HollowPin for about 2-1/2 seasons now. Only issue I've had was the power link popped out last weekend. Again, that's the only issue in 2-1/2 years.

Disco-Superfly
    They are pretty....
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If a chain breaks on the first or third ride then I would have to suspect something else was invloved. I've had a chainguide somehow break a chain and I would suspect a huge der. or cassete problem could break a chain. A brand new chain shouldn't just break, uneless its a defect or something. I do have to say that powerlinks are a godsend

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I've personally trashed a chain in a bone-headed guide setup mistake. There are def other factors sometimes.

bi-winning
    Just a suggestion for those who have had success with the newest generation of SRAM chains; Take a moment and write a review. This question has come up a few times, and the reviews are scaring people away from a product that may not be that bad.

I have found the PC 59 to be good, but they don't make em any more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have had horrible luck with sram chains and anyother chain for that matter I have broken 3 srams, the power link has come out another 2-3 times but I like how they shift and they are cheap for me so I use them. the power link is a lot easier to deal with than the diaper glides. I have only tried one connex and liked it a lot but I have to wait to order them when I can get the sram chains right away when I need them.

mtbr member
    The only time I have ever had a problem with a sram chain was when I left it soaking in degreaser overnight to clean it (I was new to cycling, did not know that was bad for sram chains). Turns out the degreaser caused the bushing material to swell, causing cracks in the end plates, leading to failure.

Since then I degrease, wipe off right away, and re-lube. All is well in sram land.

i drink shower water
    i love em.. power link for the win.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

N* Bomber Crew
    I love SRAM Chains.

I'm currently running on one that is about 2 years old or so but is still in primo condition. Gave it a nice cleaning and oiling and it works just like new. I got a PC90 sitting around here ready to be used but I really haven't needed it yet.

What can I say, SRAM drivetrains win life.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've got a PC-99 Hollow pin chain and through 2 seasons I haven't touched it other than to clean/lube it.

Bum Buzzer
    Sram chains for years and I prefer em to shimano. I still feel Shimano makes the best cassettes, but chains SRAM no doubt.

Broken? 6'8" 220 with a 38.5" inseam and 182's on my hard tail and no issues.

I did have a power link disappear on me once at Diablo - I noticed the chain fall and picked it rightup but couldnt find the links, never happened before or after, and it was a link that had been opened/closed a ton of times so Im accepting that 'excuse'.

lol

Brackish
    SRAM chains are Sachs chains which = over 12 years of dependable use for me (the brand, not one chain). When I started messengering I used to re-up with Shimano chains, but after knocking myself out on the pavement in front of a truck once when a chain broke, nearly breaking my sternum on my bars after another incident while pedaling up University between 2nd and 3rd, and several other less catastrophic chain failures I took our company mechanic's advise (thanks, Justin, for that and everything else you taught me about bikes) and switched to Sachs chains. Not a breakage since, in all the years of messengering and then trail, DH and FR hackery.

the goose is loose!
    my 951 seems to shift just as well as my 991 did. i have seen two 991 chains having stiff links, one so bad that i had to ditch it. my friend's 991 is usable though, his stiff link isn't too bad.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Banzai
    I did have a power link disappear on me once at Diablo - I noticed the chain fall and picked it rightup but couldnt find the links, never happened before or after, and it was a link that had been opened/closed a ton of times so Im accepting that 'excuse'.

lol
    that sounds just like what happened to me. I got to the bottom of a run at northstar and noticed I didn't have my chain anymore. I hiked up a bit and found the chain but never found the link. I pinned the chain with a Shimano pin and kept riding

Elitest thrill junkie
    More than 5 years ago when shimano made **** chains, I thought SRAM chains were the best. They still broke on my, but nowhere near as much. These days with the current generation of shimano chains with their mushroom pins, I've had amazing reliabilty and no breakages. I believe the current sram chains are not up to par anymore, in terms of strength. They are not bad chains, but the the shimano has em beat for strength due to the pin design. The catch is that you HAVE to use a shimano pin when you install it....but it will take a powerlink, so that's still an option.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    I don't think they last as many miles as they used to.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rm_racer
    my 951 seems to shift just as well as my 991 did. i have seen two 991 chains having stiff links, one so bad that i had to ditch it. my friend's 991 is usable though, his stiff link isn't too bad.
    I've been having a LOT of issues with my 991. For the first month or so that i rode it, everything was great. It was strong and shifted really smoothly, but during the rest of the season it would almost constantly have a stiff link. The thing about the stiff links is that i was never able to fix them. No amount of lube or working the link would loosen it back up. My chain actually did snap last night while i was riding around my campus, on some dead smooth asphalt. SRAM does make some powerful chain, but i'd stay away from the 991, its more expensive and when its not working perfectly, it sucks...

EastBaySteez
    I've never had a problem with any of my sram chains from XC to DH riding they out right rule! Im running a 971 right now, great chain, as ppl say carry powerlinks. It helps!
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I am a SRAM fan. Never really had much of a problem. Then again, I change chains quite often. My friend on the other hand, snapped one after two rides! He also snapped one after about two weeks worth of use. Most of the rider's in my group run SRAM. He is the only one who has had any problems. Strange!

mtbr member
    i just got a PC48 (what can i say, i'm a poor high school student!) and i must say, i like it more than the IG31 i was running before.

banned
    Don't be ashamed about using a lower end chain. I've had better results with them over the more expensive ones and it's more practical to ride a chain that's cheap and replace it frequently when it's cheaper. I've never had a more expensive chain last longer than a cheaper one.

I've also noticed lots of people who claim they've used their chains for 3 seasons and other insane claims are those that put on a chain, don't replace it and end up replacing their drivetrains completely every few years, but the chain weakens over that time.

I replace my chain roughly 500-750 miles to allow me to do more miles on the gears before the chain destroys them.

Pain Is A State Of Mind
    Well I personally havea had bad luck with Sram Chains but that does not make them bad at all......maybe its being 151lbs that hard on the chains..... But i must say ive been running a Wipperman 908 for the past few weeks and its awesome!!

Oh and im with everyone on the quick link thing.....They are Jesus!
    Opportunity awaits those that are worthy....
    Photamagrapher---http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=244688

Members who have read this thread: 0