SRAM 10spd bits for DH??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

SRAM 10spd bits for DH??

What cheap(er) setup are you guys running for a new SRAM DH group? I am thinking a GX 2x10 shifter/short cage derailleur, and a road cassette, 11-23?

I love my 1x11 GX on trail bike. Unfortunately the GX 11spd der is only available long cage. Going GX 2x10 der gets the short cage option.

What are some others running? XODH is just stupid expensive and I've never been a big Shimano fan for the shifty bits.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    SRAM really needs to come out with a budget friendly DH specific drivetrain. A GX on a road cassette will technically work but you'll see larger gaps between the derailleur and the larger cogs since it's designed for a wide-range cassette. SRAM does sell a 10 speed XO1 DH derailleur, which you could match with a cheaper X9 shifter. That's probably what I'd do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_from_PA View Post
    SRAM really needs to come out with a budget friendly DH specific drivetrain. A GX on a road cassette will technically work but you'll see larger gaps between the derailleur and the larger cogs since it's designed for a wide-range cassette. SRAM does sell a 10 speed XO1 DH derailleur, which you could match with a cheaper X9 shifter. That's probably what I'd do.
    Ya my thoughts too, they just need a short cage GX 11spd der and a nice tight XD cassette. So simple! You're already 95% of the way there SRAM!!! Kills me.

I'll look into the X01DH der but I fear its a couple hundred bux no?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You say the 2x10 GX comes with a short cage der, why can't you just buy that der and run it 1x10?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by csermonet View Post
    You say the 2x10 GX comes with a short cage der, why can't you just buy that der and run it 1x10?
    That's the leading plan!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Ya my thoughts too, they just need a short cage GX 11spd der and a nice tight XD cassette. So simple! You're already 95% of the way there SRAM!!! Kills me.

I'll look into the X01DH der but I fear its a couple hundred bux no?

why would you want a 11s DH setup? 10 is already too many, that's why XO1DH is 7 speed. There already is a short cage GX, which would work fine, and if you can find old stock there were x9 and x7 short cage deraillerus for DH fairly recently (my YT came with an x9 last spring).

The only thing an XD cassette buys you over a standard is the 10t cog, which you could easily obviate with a bigger ring.

You know the main difference between a DH specific derailleur and a regular one? About $100. People are such suckers for marketing...

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    This cassette:
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=2620

Pop whichever 6 or 7 cogs you want. Individual cogs are also available for about ten bucks each, up to 29th. The only limitation is that if you use an 11t top gear you have to use a matching 12t to go with it. Everything else is just loose cogs.

This derailleur:
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=2620

Maybe replace the high limit screw with a longer one.

This shifter:
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=52238

That's my DH setup, it cost about $120.

1x6 is working fine with 11t-26t, so I'm going to replace my rear hub with Hope's 150mm DH hub as soon as those hit the shelves.