Specialized Enduro owners???- Mtbr.com
    notabouttoseeyourlight

Specialized Enduro owners???

I ride an 05 Enduro Expert and I love it. I'm kinda curious as to how much abuse you guys put yours through and how they deal with it. It's got a 5th element Air shock and a fox 36r fork.

I ride a mix of everything and I want to do some drops and things that I'm not sure the bike is built to handle. Recommendations?

PS. I weigh about 175-180 and I have done drops in the vicinity of 8-10' on it(edit: this is with a pretty steep tranny landing). I do more jumping than straight drops though.

Also, as far as charging rock gardens and the like, am I going in over the bike's head or what?

I apologize in advance because I really hate reading posts like these, but if anyone rides one of these, holler at me.
    Last edited by coma13; 09-21-2005 at 05:02 PM.

mechmann_mtb
    where do you ride? 10' drops are over my head for sure. i pretty much call it quits around 3' or so.

i have the same bike and am quite a bit heavier than you (210lbs). i beat on my bike as hard as i can and i havn't had any major issues yet. i did manage to bash my derailleur on a rock in Sedona, but other than that it has been a great ride.

i am in the process of changing to a single front chainring and changing the RD to a short (medium) cage.

i love the fork and haven't had any issues with the 5th element.

anyway, i don't know if this bike is worthy of 10' drops. it works great for me though.

I've got the SXT and it's capable of more than I am. The frame is bomber; air sprung suspension has historically not been the best choice for radical riding, but the technology is improving. As for rock gardens, if you can hang onto the bike you're OK. You probably know if you're pushing what your bike was designed for, so listen to yourself.

Meh.
    I know some guy that freerides and DH races with his o3 or o4 Enduro. He slapped on a coil-over shock instead of air (air is for breathing, not compression and dampening), a nice long travel SC fork, and some minor component changes. I've seen him hit 13 footers before. As far as I know, he hasn't snapped it yet. It's a solid frame, but it really wasn't designed to be hucked.

Stand back

Ask Thumper

Thumper weighs like 240 lbs and has been beating on his Enduro w/ 5th air and 36 for a season now - 4x, xc racing and some fr/ dh. Surprised he hasn't chimed in already...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

I love mine - and I have riden a few DH courses now

I have had mine for about five months, and although I don't get out as much as I would like I have to say I am really pleased with it to date.

I mainly ride hard XC, really thrashing the downs, I jump whatever I feel up to (depending on the level of armour and headgear basically!!) and this bike is the most solid and planted bikes I have riden. I am running the new Michelin XTrems 2.5", 210mm rotors F&R with Thomson finishing kit, and I just drop the saddle and pad up when I go out riding the downhill race tracks.

Have you seen Bearclaw etc riding the Enduro/SX Trail frames in the Crankworks competition?? If you can do that and they don't break then it's good enough for you and I.

I have on the other hand had a few quality control issues with the 36's. Performance wide and durability wise they are superb - but they have a tendancy to creep down as some of the oil/air appears to leak past a particular seal internally. However, they are not home-repairable and have to go back to Fox (here in the UK, Mojo) who have had a lot of these with the same problems.

I have to say I am chuffed with the frame - I think that it is more than strong enough for your needs. I think however, that I will change the shock before too long as I am having trouble setting up the 5th to get decent all round performance - I seem to be able to get a nice very soft setup which crashes through travel on the DHs or one that is stiff for XC but not that compliant. I think that it would be better to have a non-platform shock IMHO running about 25% sag, the rear end doesn't bob anyway - but I hate the platform as it complicates setting up the shock well. I run mine on almost minimum 50-60psi.

Hope this helps. Ian.

6'4"-6'9" with the afro
    I am probably the largest person to respond to your question. I beat the crap out of mine; just lower the seat, hold on and steer straight down the mountain regardless of what gets in the way. I couldn't be more satisfied and am quite surprised at how durable it is. When reviews of new bikes come out I always read them (Nomad, 6.6) but come away completely satisfied that I'll stick w/ the Enduro for a long time.

Another festivus MIRACLE!

My new bike

I just purchased a new 06 Enduro Expert!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot wait. I ditched my beloved Bullit for something more All Mountain. This years comes with Fox DHX Air, 36r, truvativ stylos w/ blackspire stinger shiftguide, Avid juicy 7's, etc

Bling, bling!

I already bought a thompson seat post and CB Mallet C's for it. It should be here next week. Can't wait!

I loved the Bullit, and it makes you a better rider, but I got tired of the brakejack and the high center of gravity....

I'll post pics soon.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit71
    I just purchased a new 06 Enduro Expert!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot wait. I ditched my beloved Bullit for something more All Mountain. This years comes with Fox DHX Air, 36r, truvativ stylos w/ blackspire stinger shiftguide, Avid juicy 7's, etc

Bling, bling!

I already bought a thompson seat post and CB Mallet C's for it. It should be here next week. Can't wait!

I loved the Bullit, and it makes you a better rider, but I got tired of the brakejack and the high center of gravity....

I'll post pics soon.
    sweeeeeeeeeet! are the 2006 36r's coil sprung? I'm thinking of getting a different shock at some point, i like hte light weight of the air but I can't seem to get it set up to be progressive at all so it blows for all around performance, i can squish around in cush mode or bounce off everything in the world for it not to bottom off bigger drops, no good middle ground.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit71
    No, unfortunately they are sticking with 36 Talas, as opposed to the 36Vanilla that is coming out this year. Prolly to keep the weight off. Plus, that'll give them something to upgrade to for '07.
    Ehh, nothing to bum over, the 36 talas is still freaking awesome. SOOOOOOO plush, its the best single crown fork I've ever experienced, it's really stiff too.

Another festivus MIRACLE!
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    sweeeeeeeeeet! are the 2006 36r's coil sprung? I'm thinking of getting a different shock at some point, i like hte light weight of the air but I can't seem to get it set up to be progressive at all so it blows for all around performance, i can squish around in cush mode or bounce off everything in the world for it not to bottom off bigger drops, no good middle ground.

No, unfortunately they are sticking with 36 Talas, as opposed to the 36Vanilla that is coming out this year. Prolly to keep the weight off. Plus, that'll give them something to upgrade to for '07.

mechmann_mtb

love my talas!!!

i love my talas so far. for my money i wouldn't want anything else. any of you guys notice that a lot of off-road vehicles use air springs? they are really very versatile and in MTB applications allow the user easy tunability and less weight.

although i am sure it is very similar to my experience in national level 8th scale off-road R/C car racing, the average joe can't tune their suspension and less adjustability reduces the chances for the user to screw up their suspension.

Stand back

Push it

Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    Pushindustries.com can fix that for you...
    Golden Bike Park

mechmann_mtb

yes.

yeah they do.

Stand back

front range board

Quote Originally Posted by .downhillfaster.
    every thread i've read (yes, I did use the search) indicates that they don't...where did you get your info?
    They moved to Ft. Collins, and there has been a prototype or 2 running around. Also a friend of a friend got hired to be a tech there, and word was they were getting close to having the package ready to go...
    Golden Bike Park

Members who have read this thread: 0