Specialized Big Hit Grom- Mtbr.com
    Nim
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Specialized Big Hit Grom

I have a nephew who wants to get into free riding. He's 11 or 12 and still growing. He is looking at the 2004 Big Hit Grom for $650. He wants to know my opinion. I am a XC/trail rider and don't know much about Free Ride rigs. Anyone have any comments on this bike? Whats up with no front derailer - guess you are not going to doing long steep grinds on a free ride bike. Any other suggestions in this price range. Would a hard tail be better?

Thanks

Authority is dead!

ht

Get him some good beefy hardtail to learn first, and then upgrade to FS. Some people never unpgrade cause hardtails are fun!
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

Bike Hustler
    Quote Originally Posted by Nim
    I have a nephew who wants to get into free riding. He's 11 or 12 and still growing. He is looking at the 2004 Big Hit Grom for $650. He wants to know my opinion. I am a XC/trail rider and don't know much about Free Ride rigs. Anyone have any comments on this bike? Whats up with no front derailer - guess you are not going to doing long steep grinds on a free ride bike. Any other suggestions in this price range. Would a hard tail be better?

Thanks
    The grom seems to be aimed directly at the youth freeride market and I think it would fit a 12 year old perfect. The dual 24's keep the stand over height real low. If he starts really getting rad on it, upgrade the fork (the MX comp it comes with is really crappy but newbies wont notice until at least 3 to 6 months into basic skills).
    the mechanical disk brakes keep the maintanence at a minimum too.
    I started on a hardtail and although I learned alot and had fun on one, I allways knew I would eventually make the switch to full sus. There came a point where I really felt like I was missing out. The grom is a good place to start but if he gets into FR like hardcore, He'll want an upgrade sooner or later! especially when he grows 3 feet in the next couple years.
    I say have him test ride a P1 and a Grom and go for it!