Specialized Big Hit basics for a dummy.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Specialized Big Hit basics for a dummy.

Been thinking of replacing my Super 8 with a USED Big Hit. But I've never really payed any attention to year to year changes. I know all about the 24" rear and FSR true 4 bar linkage. But the shock mount/link looks different from year to year. Some have the 4 different mounting positions and some don't. I want an 7-8" travel frame for hucking and weekend DHing. I'm confused about the diffs in the comp/expert and DH frames from year to year.

Anyone want to shed some light on this for me? Any years to avoid or try to get?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeh i personally like this years comp from last years. It has more travel i think and looks way better and way beefeir. Plus the fork is better but u should still switch it out anyways. Go with this years comp or expert or if u can spring for a demo 9 pro do that.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHLEG
    Been thinking of replacing my Super 8 with a USED Big Hit. But I've never really payed any attention to year to year changes. I know all about the 24" rear and FSR true 4 bar linkage. But the shock mount/link looks different from year to year. Some have the 4 different mounting positions and some don't. I want an 7-8" travel frame for hucking and weekend DHing. I'm confused about the diffs in the comp/expert and DH frames from year to year.

Anyone want to shed some light on this for me? Any years to avoid or try to get?
    The ones with 4 holes are adjustable from 6" to 8" and the ones with only 2 holes are 8" but adjustable headangle/bb height.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member

Check the website.

www.specialized.com. will show you models from 2002 to present.

The current BigHit format originally came out in 2001 Comp only (Pro as frame only) basically unchanged to 2002. 2001 both Comp and Pro only had the 6 inch link. The 2002 Comp had 6 inches while the DH/Pro had 8 inches with biglink. Biggest change in 2003 was the biglink which allowed more travel and more strength was pretty much offered across the line and the Expert was added. Also the bottom link pivot on the '03 changed from a tab mount to going through the monocoque structure for strength. In 04' still have the Expert and Comp, basically the same structure but the Comp with less travel due to a shorter stroke Vanilla R w/o reservoir. Otherwise, besides components, identical.

There are plenty 2001-2002 BigHits out there going strong (see DarkNut's and Cooter's) but if you can, try to get a 03' or newer.

Good luck!

Team
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Vert

The current BigHit format originally came out in 2001 Comp only (Pro as frame only) basically unchanged to 2002. 2001 both Comp and Pro only had the 6 inch link. The 2002 Comp had 6 inches while the DH/Pro had 8 inches with biglink. Biggest change in 2003 was the biglink which allowed more travel and more strength was pretty much offered across the line and the Expert was added. Also the bottom link pivot on the '03 changed from a tab mount to going through the monocoque structure for strength. In 04' still have the Expert and Comp, basically the same structure but the Comp with less travel due to a shorter stroke Vanilla R w/o reservoir. Otherwise, besides components, identical.

There are plenty 2001-2002 BigHits out there going strong (see DarkNut's and Cooter's) but if you can, try to get a 03' or newer.

Good luck!
    I have a 2002, the price for the 2002's were about $1,000 more than the 2003 but both are pretty close in comparison to each other.

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Vert

Good luck!

'04 Comps have Swinger 3-ways and rule.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Bighit Evangalest

I have an o4 comp and it rocks. The componentry that comes on it is pretty crappy. Its got Deore shifter and cassete and the dirtjumpers arent really an appropriate fork for that bike.
    Definatly go for an 04 if you can, I find it really usefull beign able to drop down the travel and change the head angle/BB height when I go to the dirtjumps of BSX track....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To feel no fear denotes a lack of intellegence.
    True courage is feeling the fear and doing it anyway.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I failed to notice the Specialized site went back to 2002.