Spec Pin'it vs Minion tire- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Spec Pin'it vs Minion tire

So at the start of the season(my first downhill season), I went to a shop to get some new tires on my bike. They only had 1 Minion, but they recommended a Pin'it and the shop manager told me to run a Pin'it on the front, and the Minion on the rear.

So now it's the end of the season, and I rode 8 days on the tires. The Minion is showing a lot of wear, but the Pin'it looks brand new. I loved the way the tire rode too. It gripped well and cornered great.

I'm not really sure what my point is, but everyone always seems to be talking about how awesome the Minion is, and I guess I just don't understand why. When that Minion wears out, which seems to be coming quickly, I'll probably be buying another Pin'it for the rear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It sounds like your dealer sold you a tire too soft for your riding conditions.Tire co.s make different versions of each tire some hard some soft.

Unit 91
    Specialized tires are awesome! You should try a Chunder DH in the rear and a Clutch DH in the front. Great combo of tires.
    Bikes

err, 27.5+
    Specialized makes some good tires. The biggest issue I have with them is that they change tire offerings every 1-2 years. So after you get hooked on a particular tread design they will drop it and leave you hunting for a replacement. After a couple of go arounds I decided to stick with more stable manufacturers.

Regarding wear, rubber compound is the culprit. Very few soft compound tires hold up, but they do offer superior grip for their time.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    yay personal opinions not answering the question whoooooo.

what compond did u have the pin'it in? and what compoind did you have the minion in?

oh and remember that skidding affects life of a tire and being on the front extends life.
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    So at the start of the season(my first downhill season), I went to a shop to get some new tires on my bike. They only had 1 Minion, but they recommended a Pin'it and the shop manager told me to run a Pin'it on the front, and the Minion on the rear.

So now it's the end of the season, and I rode 8 days on the tires. The Minion is showing a lot of wear, but the Pin'it looks brand new. I loved the way the tire rode too. It gripped well and cornered great.

I'm not really sure what my point is, but everyone always seems to be talking about how awesome the Minion is, and I guess I just don't understand why. When that Minion wears out, which seems to be coming quickly, I'll probably be buying another Pin'it for the rear.

Well first of all the Minion was on the rear, no wonder why is wearing out quickly...duh!!!!

Anything other than 60A dont last very long at the rear and thats the beauty of the Minion, you can choose your compound,can you say the same thing about your Pin it???

I tried the Pin it, front and rear, great tire I really liked it , corners well, last pretty long but it still has more rolling resistance than a Minion Fr which is why I'll stick with them for now.

Ive been thinking about trying some Swalbe tires, I hear great things about them...

FPT
    Aug 2009
    hey Tuumbaq: which schwalbe tire you looking it getting?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    your rear tire will always wear quicker than the front...esp since its your first season i suspect you probably are using a lot more rear brake than front.

thats an odd combo to run though. which Minion did you get? DHF or DHR?

FPT
    Aug 2009
    i see schwalbe has a site dedicated to it's DH range of tires, if that's of interest to anyone.
    http://www.downhilltires.com/index.php

shreds often
    Apr 2009
    Just to clear it up, it was hitek's first season of DH, not of riding. Not sure of his front/rear braking distribution but, from what I saw, he wasn't just skidding around corners. Hitek - lots o' folks around here run Spec tires instead of Minions for this reason, and $.
    vitalmtb.com

Members who have read this thread: 0