sorry another fork thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

sorry another fork thread

okay i have been downhill'in for a season now and i have been ridding with boxxer ride fork up front, and now i need some thing with a little more strength,
    i am looking for a new triple clamp 170-180 mm travel fork for DH and racing, reason for change is because i am getting a lot of fork flex and i am only 140bls, which is also why it needs to be triple clamp

i have done some reasurch and i carnt find any thing with about the same axle to crown as boxxer, have i missed some thing?
    some non main stream brand?

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boogenman
    erm any more info? travel axel to crown? any thing?
    ]

Glad to Be Alive
    people can complain....but locally we have had much success with Marzocchi....meaning no problems with the forks
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    people can complain....but locally we have had much success with Marzocchi....meaning no problems with the forks
    well what fork would you suggest? i like to have external adjustments but not nesseary (sorry no idea how to spell it)

one extra thing: i did have a junior t pro but it was set up so bad i just decided to get a new pair of boxxers instead of getting it tuned
    ]

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    well what fork would you suggest? i like to have external adjustments but not nesseary (sorry no idea how to spell it)

one extra thing: i did have a junior t pro but it was set up so bad i just decided to get a new pair of boxxers instead of getting it tuned
    how about a 66rc3
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    well personaly i dought sc Dh and racing capablities, as i am getting seriose about getting in to racing and i am hard on my bike while ridding, i dont ride with half mesures
    ]

mtbr member

Just another FOC'er
    FWIW, I'm surprised you feel a lot of flex in the Ride. I've got an 888rc2x and a Boxxer Ride, and I don't notice a lot of difference in how well they track. The 8" Boxxer is a very popular race fork, and being longer I'm sure it must have bit more flex than the Ride.

N* Bomber Crew
    You weigh 140 and feel flex in a Boxxer? I call shenanigans on that BS. I weigh close to 190 lbs and I rode my friends Boxxer World Cup and Team and they both felt solid.

But to answer your question, a 66 would probably be a solid choice. I ride a 888 with 35mm Stanchions and it feels solid.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    its proberbly becuase i take no halfs on rock gardens, plus when i sit down and brake hard on road you can see the stantions and lowers flex,
    i really need the new fork to be DC (dual crown) and the avalanche is very weighty for its travel and size.
    ]

rock hard or hardrock
    so look at the 888?
    www.transitionbikes.com

"The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i would definatly suggest manitou stance kingpins
    they are 170mm and sell for about 160-200
    im about your weight and they are great!!!

Ride fun
    Oct 2008
    Rock shox Totem coil

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    its proberbly becuase i take no halfs on rock gardens, plus when i sit down and brake hard on road you can see the stantions and lowers flex,
    i really need the new fork to be DC (dual crown) and the avalanche is very weighty for its travel and size.
    you asked for 160 to 180 mm of travel which is the 66......if you want dual crown then get the 888

mtbr member
    you asked for 160 to 180 mm of travel which is the 66......if you want dual crown then get the 888
    the problem with 888 is i think they are all 200mm travel, and if i were to put on of them on it would defantaly reasult in a snapped frame, this patriot was organaly desighted to be set up for XC but as it is the LT version it means it can be done for DH which i am doing it has the perfect angle with 178 mm or what ever axel to crown the boxxer ride is, i was condisering the fox 40 lowerd to what ever would be the right axel to crown, it can go from 6.5" to 8" hopfuly it will go to the right size
    ]

mtbr member
    No interest in the 2009 Boxxer? 35mm stanchions, just have it lowered to 180mm, or a lowered Fox 40.
    http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/6493

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juanbeegas
    No interest in the 2009 Boxxer? 35mm stanchions, just have it lowered to 180mm, or a lowered Fox 40.
    http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/6493
    i have had a bref though about the boxxer 09, but i want to try some thing diffrent but if the fox dont work out then maybe the boxxer
    ]

mtbr member
    i have settled on a fox 40 rc2 down to 7" it has a axel to crown only 1 mm more then the boxxers so it would be perfect, prob could do with the slightly slacker head tube even though one mm aint much
    ]

Members who have read this thread: 0