sore feet help- Mtbr.com

Thread: sore feet help

mtbr member
    May 2010

sore feet help

When I ride rough trails my feet start to get really sore after about 5 to 10 minutes. I am in great shape and do not ever have foot problems do anything else, running, hiking, climbing. Should I get different shoes, what would you recommend? Any advice helps.

Eric

nocturnal oblivion
    Clipless or platform? Moving my cleats all the way back fixed that problem for me. If you're on flats I'd think about the arch support.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    Clipless or platform? Moving my cleats all the way back fixed that problem for me. If you're on flats I'd think about the arch support.
    I am using flats. Do you think I should look for stiff soles or just more support?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric K
    I am using flats. Do you think I should look for stiff soles or just more support?
    what part of feet does it hurt
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2010
    usually its starts under the arch but the whole foot soon becomes very sore and I need to step off the pedals for a little while.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric K
    usually its starts under the arch but the whole foot soon becomes very sore and I need to step off the pedals for a little while.
    loosen shoe laces, bigger stiffer shoes
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

nocturnal oblivion
    ^^^agreed. Forgot about that, mine felt the same from over-tightening my straps. Moving the cleat back took strain off, in this case a stiffer shoe or just position your feet more forward a bit.
    30k posts now, fock.

Glad to Be Alive
    I like nike basketball hightop flights for 40 bucks but most guys like the 5 10"s(five tens)

keep the shoe lace not as tight or wear 2 pair of socks

Locs on Spokez
    Your shoes are flexing over the pedal

Buy stiffer shoes (5.10's)
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Two pairs of socks in any performance footwear will, in most cases, create more issues than it solves. Go for a more supportive/stiffer shoe (keep in mind that fit is more important than nearly anything else), or try using a higher quality insole that supports your foot properly. This can be done with your current shoes or almost any other shoe you may move to. I would recommend looking at the Superfeet brand insoles. They make a few different versions dependent on the type of shoe/boot they are going into. They are reasonably priced (around $30-$40 average) and they can be transferred between multiple shoes. They will put your foot into a properly supported position without putting extra strain on tendons and other soft tissue like an arch support or other inferior insoles can. You can find Superfeet at almost any outdoor store, ski/snowboard shop, etc..

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    heyyy what's up dead thread (why bother creating another under the same category?)

so I'm dealing a very sore foot. It has been getting progressively worse and worse for the past couple of weeks of riding. At first, I figured it was just a part of the riding. It started to get a lot worse about a week ago and I loosened up my laces-but the pain is still there. It is noticeable when I stretch my feet and both my feet are constantly stiff too. I'm running Straitline platform pedals with some 5 10 Freerider's, so it is all very stiff. I'm going to pull out the sole of the shoe and put in a Super-Feet insert in there that I use in my running shoes to try and help that out. But, what can I do about it post-ride? It seems that I've already taken care of everything else during the ride. I'm still young and I don't want this to be one of the things I neglected to take care of when I'm older. I leave that to my knees.

Besides icing it, which I'm doing as I type, what can I do for it? I wonder if a brace would really help or some make-shift splint of sorts.
    By the way, it is sore on my metatarsal. perfect how this image works, right where the line goes to the bone is where it is sore

and like OP,

-Eric

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I broke most of the growth plates in my foot, focused around the arch, from running. I get foot pains from time to time riding and what I tend to do is to add more support by wrapping my feet before riding. After a ride I usually, if its hurts a lot, is take a ibuprofen and ice them for 20mins.

But, the foot pain could be because of weak muscles in your feet themselves. If you can get a medical elastic band (not sure what they are called) get a silver/blue colored one and work your feet in different directions. Do this flexing your feet away from you, while you are looking at it. Towards you, and side to side. If any of these motions while using the band hurts more than usual I would see a doctor as it could be something worse, but after a while it should get better. I do each one of these 12-15 times per foot. It will also help with ankle strength so your feet won't wobble around on the pedal as you ride, another problem that causes foot issues with me.

I've had to get used to the pain mostly because there isn't much that I can do to fix my feet I have learned from the doctors.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    try adding some dr schoells too and see if that helps...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm thinking it could be

1) it's tendon related
    2) fascaitis (basketball players know this all too well). In some cases this can be extremely painful just to walk around!

In either case, a resting period is the most effective solution. In addiiton, you should now regularly stretch your feet everyday as part of a permanent solution (the theory is that flexible tissues (tedons, muscles, fascia) tend to enable greater mobility & repetitive actions before succumbing to overuse related pain. I've seen guys in their early 20s get these sort of pain on the basketball court; some people are more prone to get it than others. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have 5.10s and added some $12 Active Dr. Scholls soles to replace the 5.10 ones when my foot was bruised a while back. Totally worth it! The new soles are definitely comfier and help a lot for all day riding at Whistler.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have the Green Super Feet insoles and love them

but getting an ACE bandage really helped me a lot. I have been using this one:

but I got one of these for each foot:

and they feel a lot more comfortable. they offer more support too. riding with them feels comfortable and my feet don't give me troubles while walking around.

Members who have read this thread: 4