Socom vs. Scythe- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Socom vs. Scythe

alright guys, i know we all hate these threads but i am really torn about this.

I'm trying to sell my x-country bike and my 2006 Yakuza Ojiki, and with that money i'm going to start building my next DH bike. I have it down to 2 frames, there is an 08 Intense Socom frame available for 1600 with DHX 5, and a Banshee Scythe 2008 frame for 1100 with the samerear shock. I am just wrapping up my first real season of downhill/freeride, i will be using this bike in the fluidride cup race series' and at whistler/silverstar bike parks. any input would be helpful.
    Wounds heal, but going big is forever

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    only thing i can really tell between the two...the Scythe has a slightly higher BB height.

you'll probably be happy with either.

FWITW though...i hear more good things about the Socom than the Scythe

mtbr member
    Check out the warranty on both. The socom is a 1-2 year race bike, built super light. If you're a light guy who rides real smooth, I wouldn't worry.

mtbr member
    i'm a light guy who crashes alot....i'm not very smooth
    Wounds heal, but going big is forever

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by fighterkyle
    i'm a light guy who crashes alot....i'm not very smooth
    I wouldn't even worry about it...We have guys weighing about 200 pounds pounding the SoCom for years without problems.....Intense has always taken care of the local riders near us.

secondly....are you serious??? 500 bucks more for a VPP suspension

For DH I would choose the SoCom because the Scythe leans more to the FR side and I like the lower BB ofthe SoCom
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    the Socom is a deadly bike, BUT it's not a hack and thrash bike, and pricey! if your not a super smooth rider, i'd try out the Banshee Scythe, still a very nice frame, a bit heavier, but much stronger and should hopefully last you longer!.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would recommend the Scythe as it will be more versatile for the riding you plan to do. I have ridden the Scythe at Whistler and Silverstar and it was awesome! The pop you get off of the jumps is amazing! Even with the slightly higher BB height it felt like it was on rails through the corners. Great pedaling characteristics as well, good power transfer to the rear wheel

I loved my Scythe until it got stolen....

Members who have read this thread: 0