So...Romic or 5th Element 5 way? need some advice- Mtbr.com
    Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004

So...Romic or 5th Element 5 way? need some advice

i should be getting my romic back soon from romic....they are servicing it. i have heard horror stories about these shocks though....i am wondering if i should sell it and buy a 5th or just keep it.....
    thanx

Removed at birth
    Hey Holmes what frame are you running it on? I've got a Romic on my DH/FR bike, and a 5th on my Heckler. I'd say the 5th has a better pedaling platform, and good big hit capabilities, but for racing, the romic has impressed me for being so active on the small stutter bumps, and bottomless feel. Hope this helps.
    Peace out! War In!

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004

It is goin on a transition dirtbag....

its got 6 inches of travel if that helps....thanx

surf-ride-repeat
    Romic is perfect for aTrans dirt bag...

Mine has run flawlessly on my Chap...

You just got it back, it's essentially brand new, it will last a lonnngggg time ....

save your time and money, mount the romic back up and get out there and ride!

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    Stay with the Romic. I have had no problems with mine in over a season of abuse. I'm sure the 5th is a great shock, but I personally wouldn't want to deal with all of the different adjustments on it. The Romic provides great performance with half the setup hassles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have a romic myself, and so far its great. It is an odd shock, though... you can use up the travel allll the time, but its never harsh. I've heard that the 5'th element is "the devil's shock", as it feels very weird.. defenitely not a "play" shock, i.e. for hoppin around and jumpin, as the rear wheel sticks to the ground so well from what i;ve heard. i've also heard that it is amazing. I hav'nt ridden one, but i've heard they blow more than romics. Good luck!
    im K2bikeman.. but u can guess why i i changed my name :)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    gratefulbiker, what spring are you running and whats ur weight/bike travel? im not sure if you've read my posts but im undecided on whether or not to get a heavier spring for myself...
    im K2bikeman.. but u can guess why i i changed my name :)

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheebikeman
    gratefulbiker, what spring are you running and whats ur weight/bike travel? im not sure if you've read my posts but im undecided on whether or not to get a heavier spring for myself...
    I am running a 550lb spring on a 2.0" stroke shock for 5" travel. With all of my gear, I am about 185lb. The shock was originally on a 2001.5 Stinky Five and now I have it on a 2004 Coiler DeeLux which is the same frame except for some minor geometry changes. I have had the same thoughts about the heavier spring, but after talking with Romic tech dept have decided to stay with the 550. The bike sits a little further into it's travel than it did with the original Fox, bit is still within the recommended sag for the type of riding that I use the bike for. If you are running the Romic on a Chap in 6" mode the leverage ratio gets bumped up to 3:1 which may require a heavier spring; same as if I used aftermarket rockers on my bike. Hope some of this helps.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    the reason the 5th feels "wierd" is because of the prgressive feel...5ths keep the wheel glued to the ground whe compared to fox shocks...youve gotta see the benifit of having ur rear wheel rolling over a rock garden instead of boucing around all over the joint and loosing speed...the 5th keeps u on the ground and doesnt loose speed...most people hate 5ths when you first ride a bike with one but trust me once you get ued to it and see the benifits then youll hate fox and romics...they are different to huck or jump but so much better...if ever u see a bike with a 5th go over to it and pump the seat down as harda snd fast as you can...itll bouce back just as fast and quick...but if you really slowly apply heaps of pressure it will slowly copress its self and if ur strong enough ull just be able to keep pushing it through its travel unlike fox and romic shock that just stop after a while...i could go on all day about why 5ths are better than fox shoxs and romics but i wont...they aint "the devils shox" there a progressive shock...think about it why would sooooo many pros use 6 ways and 5ths if they wernt to ultimate shock...hey thats what they exactly are...the ultimate shock...and there adjustable as all hell...if u dont understand them then this months issue of dirt explain the whole deal really simply...i suggest ppl check it out...and hey dont knock something untill uve tried it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles