So Manitou springs are suspose to fit 5th Element shocks.....got a ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

So Manitou springs are suspose to fit 5th Element shocks.....got a ?

Ok, so.....I ordered a 9.5x3.0 spring for my 5th element and instead of getting the 5th element spring I got a spring for a swinger (as I was told it'd work)

So my 5th element spring I had was 450lbs, and my swinger spring is a 500lbs. While the coils are thicker on the swinger spring it is shorter than my 5th element spring. So I can't preload the spring much at all, as I have maybe 2-3 threads left on the shock.

So my question is.......do manitou springs run like fox springs do (IE I'd need a 3.25 stroke spring for a 3.0 stroke shock?) If so I have to see if I can return this spring and get another one (a 3.25).

The funny thing is, my bro's bike has a 7.5x2.0 shock (manitou) and I got him a bigger spring. It was a 2.0 spring, from manitou, and it worked fine. It was a little longer than what he had (new bike, he had a 350lbs, needed a 700lbs) but it worked excellent. My bike/shock on the other hand is odd.

Just curious, because I know fox uses some funny figures with their springs but I was unaware of manitou doing the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm pretty sure (could be wrong) but the numbers on the spring are the weight and how far it can compress before it coil-binds. So if you've got a 3.0 spring on a 3.0 stroke shock you can't preload it at all. I'd try and get a 3.25 or 3.40 spring (or something longer than the shock stroke) just to be safe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well the funny thing is if the swinger shock is right, then the 5th element shock rated at 3.0 is more like 3.25 because it is almost a half a coil longer than the swinger spring. What's funny is there is a 3.5" stroke spring for a swinger but that's suspose to be for their 10.5x3.5 shock.

Maybe I just need to hunt down a 500lbs 5th element spring. I mean I'm lucky that I can preload the spring maybe 2-3 turns (and I only have 2-3 threads left on the shock itself). I know if it's a 3.0 spring it shouldn't hurt anything but I'd rather be on the safe side.

Members who have read this thread: 0