So i got my hands on the formuls ones- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

So i got my hands on the formuls ones

I put them on the DH bike and got the lines alll cut and the brakes all bled, so far so good they feel AMAZING in the parking lot although the pads still arent bedded in so the power isnt totaly there yet. I will get some pics up tomaro and i'm ganna get a real ride monday
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by themontashu
    I put them on the DH bike and got the lines alll cut and the brakes all bled, so far so good they feel AMAZING in the parking lot although the pads still arent bedded in so the power isnt totaly there yet. I will get some pics up tomaro and i'm ganna get a real ride monday
    Where do you live? I thought they werent in the US yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tod Says What?!
    Where do you live? I thought they werent in the US yet.
    im in norcal, BTI and QBP have them in
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    aren't they rather heavy? i thought your bike was like 35 lbs or something..

I'm guessing on the weight of the brakes and your bike though, but i vaguely remember that you were the one with the super light v10

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    its sitting at like 39 with heavy wheels and the new brakes as well as some heavier cranks. I have stoped caring AS much about weight, although I am putting on a boxxer WC some graviry lites. With my race wheels and lite tires and tubes its still going to be in the 36 pound range. I also went to a smaller rear roter.
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

mtbr member
    What did you pay for those bad boys...?

[QUOTE= I thought they werent in the US yet.[/QUOTE]

You can also get them direct and there here in nor cal

banned
    its sitting at like 39 with heavy wheels and the new brakes as well as some heavier cranks. I have stoped caring AS much about weight, although I am putting on a boxxer WC some graviry lites. With my race wheels and lite tires and tubes its still going to be in the 36 pound range. I also went to a smaller rear roter.
    lets see some pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I work at a shop so I can't say what I paid, all i can say is they are BANK, even with using the roters from the puros they were a whole bunch. I didn't ge them direct, they came from quality.

oh 1 complaint so far, the factory bleed sucked, and they kind of need braided lines, they feel crisp but not the same way my puros do
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    lets see some pics
    I threw out my back so as soon as I can walk (I can't even sit at this point) I will get some
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyskills
    What did you pay for those bad boys...?
    If ordered through your lbs, they'll charge around $329.99 a piece, so about $660 for the set. It will vary shop to shop though, but roughly there.

banned
    I work at a shop so I can't say what I paid, all i can say is they are BANK, even with using the roters from the puros they were a whole bunch. I didn't ge them direct, they came from quality.

oh 1 complaint so far, the factory bleed sucked, and they kind of need braided lines, they feel crisp but not the same way my puros do
    Whats the retail price?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Whats the retail price?
    Looks 2 posts up for what shops will most likely charge.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MattP.
    Looks 2 posts up for what shops will most likely charge.
    My bad.....

and DAMN! 600 for brakes

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    My bad.....

and DAMN! 600 for brakes
    I think thats without roters and adaptors.
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

shoes
    thats stupid expensive...I'll stick with my saints and juicys
    The crows kept calling his name, thought Caw. - Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Very true, didn't catch that. Add about $59.99-$99.99 for one standard rotor + adapter, or $189.99 for one floating rotor and adapter.

So, in all, if ordered through a shop, for a complete set, with floating rotors and calipers, expect to pay a little over $1,000.

Damn.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    great choice .. great brakes system, would you tell me how you like the feel of a lightweight DH bike ? for me 39 is like the line, i already race a bike around 37 and i found it was so light in rocky section that i personnaly ask my team to put Michelin tires on with stans in it to give it more weight during race and i'm not lying....

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Some of the lack of 'crispness' is simply due to the same basic physics that give these brakes more 'power'. They use the same diameter master cylinder piston with larger caliper pistons, giving a larger mechanical advantage on the 'ONE'.

the force at the cliper is simple the force at the master cylinder multiplied by the ratio of piston areas..larger the ratio the more the force is multipled.

Now, the master cyclinder travel is also related to the caliper piston trave by the same ratio...so the master cylinder piston moves more on more 'powerful' brakes.

For a totally made up (but correct) example, lets say that the caliper pistons 'move' 0.05mm total between the time your pads make contact (braking starts) and when you are 'fully' braking. This movement is from caliper flex, pad compression, etc.....Now take that .05mm and multiply by the piston area ratio (lets use 10:1 because it is easy and probabaly close) and you get a master cylinder movement of .5mm. Now you lever also is a force multiplier that is AT LEAST 10:1 again, so we now have a 5mm movement at the lever that is felt as 'flex' while applying more brake.

It is all a trade off.

I do wish that formula would figure out how to get their prices more in line. They offer nothing in terms of materials or mfg processes that are any different than shimano or avid....yet formulas are up to 5 times the cost......They are even significantly more $$ than hopes...including fully machined billet calipers and two piece floating rotors..made in the UK.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    We had a pair in our shop. 260 grams for the rear lever caliper and hose, ready to install. Pretty stinking light.

StraightOuttaCompton
    holy crap, i could trick my bike out for 1000$. I wouldn't spend that much, juicys and strokers are fine for me, oh ya and saints.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Nice, but I'll stick w/ my Codes.

-> SickLines.com <-

Why do you have the cups of your headset in upside down?

The brakes are not cheap but aren't $1000 msrp, not sure how that number got conjured up.

clyde in training
    if I paid a $1000 for brakes, they would be going on a car

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    The brakes are not cheap but aren't $1000 msrp, not sure how that number got conjured up.
    What are they MSRP? Chain Reaction is charging $851, and I was speaking from a LBS point of view...

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by MattP.
    What are they MSRP? Chain Reaction is charging $851, and I was speaking from a LBS point of view...
    mmm , perhaps you're looking at the limited edition Greg Minaar One's vs just the normal black ones... 1/2 the price there. Also CRC's prices are not in line with USA prices (you can change it to USA after you go into the cart and see a decrease in price of over 30pounds).

Pricing should be right around the same as the Oro Puro's, but I can't recall the exact number.

Bike Ninja |||
    Why do you have the cups of your headset in upside down?

Running 'em upside makes you 5 sec. faster. guaranteed.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    mmm , perhaps you're looking at the limited edition Greg Minaar One's vs just the normal black ones... 1/2 the price there. Also CRC's prices are not in line with USA prices (you can change it to USA after you go into the cart and see a decrease in price of over 30pounds).

Pricing should be right around the same as the Oro Puro's, but I can't recall the exact number.
    You're correct, I was looking at the Minaar ones. My mistake. And yeah, you're right, they will be very close (if not slightly cheaper?) than the Oro Puro.

mtbr remember
    Kind of had my eye on these brakes for a bit now and just noticed they are indeed readily available.... But MAN, I just cannot believe how Formula still pushes that jive about charging separate for adapters and rotors.... BS.
    Would be so smooth with their mixmaster set-up, some sram trigs and one of those x.0's with the gold bolt, and maybe even push it overboard with a gold kmc chain, haha... but man, just straight up out of my pockets reach at the moment.

keep us updated on the ride report action though.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    the mixmasters down work
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

mtbr remember
    the mixmasters down work

down where?

matchmaker, mixmaster, am I confused here?
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    If your LBS is a QBP dealer then the Ones with 200mm rotors will run you $783 un-taxed.
    Direct from Formula the price is $680 un-taxed

The price on the Mega with 200mm rotors is $572 Direct from Formula and $657 from your LBS Un-taxed.

So what you need to do is ask you LBS if they will order direct form Formula so you can support the LBS and get the brakes cheaper.
    Last edited by bigfish; 02-17-2008 at 08:54 AM.
    Just do it, Faster, Better, Lighter.
    bikekitchen.blogspot.com
    Single Minded

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    down where?

matchmaker, mixmaster, am I confused here?
    matchmakers are actualy a copy of mixmaster (they are formulas version of matchmakerss) formula had sram beat by about a year. The lever clamp on the 1 is a bit diferent than the oros so the mixmasters dont work with the ones
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

mtbr remember
    matchmakers are actualy a copy of mixmaster (they are formulas version of matchmakerss) formula had sram beat by about a year. The lever clamp on the 1 is a bit diferent than the oros so the mixmasters dont work with the ones

ohh, I gotcha, that's really too bad it doesn't work with the One. Maybe not "the one" after all.

No clue Formula had Sram beat on that little mod... seems odd to me as Formula has never made shifters that I know of.
    And under Formula's explanation of the "mixmaster" they say it's compatible with all Formula levers... guess they should update that description.

Thanks for the explanation.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Members who have read this thread: 0