snow ridin'- Mtbr.com

Thread: snow ridin'

go big or go home

snow ridin'

anyone know if homemade snow tires are possible, i was thinking drilling some screws into one of my old tires and putting in a thin metal metal plate on top to prevent them from puncturing the tube...hmmmmm

Get off yer arse and on yere bike!

[email protected] NYC Freerider
    Quote Originally Posted by bentimby
    anyone know if homemade snow tires are possible, i was thinking drilling some screws into one of my old tires and putting in a thin metal metal plate on top to prevent them from puncturing the tube...hmmmmm
    yeah, i already made a set...you need to pre-drill every knob you gonna stud, put a washer on the stud and stick it in the knob, tighten the nut down, cut the stud down...ducktape the inside to protect your tube...of you did a clean job with the studs/drillin, u can run them tubeless. i think the studs i used are stainless electrical screws? im not to sure, i just used what i had. just be sure u use rust proof studs. there are plenty of sites that show you how to make your own studded tires. do a forum search...

this is my creation...i used a 60 duro maxxis minion 2.7...i didnt cut the studs down yet in the pics, but they are half the size now. good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Master_Jako; 12-28-2004 at 11:17 PM.

Master of Disaster
    Dec 2004
    Will a ski lift give you a ride? cause that would be great when the snow is too icy for snowboarding to be fun

Former Noob Herder
    a tubless setup with sealant would be ideal for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    a tubless setup with sealant would be ideal for this.
    werd..but, i was a bit sloppy with this tire, as u can see in the pics...i pre drilled the middle knobs too but afterwards, i found out i wont have enough studs to complete the tire... this tire will be very heavy... ill make the next one better and cleaner now that i have an idea on how to make them right, and run it tubeless.

go big or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_Jako
    yeah, i already made a set...you need to pre-drill every knob you gonna stud, put a washer on the stud and stick it in the knob, tighten the nut down, cut the stud down...ducktape the inside to protect your tube...of you did a clean job with the studs/drillin, u can run them tubeless. i think the studs i used are stainless electrical screws? im not to sure, i just used what i had. just be sure u use rust proof studs. there are plenty of sites that show you how to make your own studded tires. do a forum search...

this is my creation...i used a 60 duro maxxis minion 2.7...i didnt cut the studs down yet in the pics, but they are half the size now. good luck!
    sexayyy

Former Noob Herder
    werd..but, i was a bit sloppy with this tire, as u can see in the pics...i pre drilled the middle knobs too but afterwards, i found out i wont have enough studs to complete the tire... this tire will be very heavy... ill make the next one better and cleaner now that i have an idea on how to make them right, and run it tubeless.
    assuming light doesnt shine through those holes, the Stans sealant may actually plug those up. Think they did a demo by poking the tire with 3/16" wide nails
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Xtremely Moderate
    I need a set of those so I can run over the neighbors cats.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

IJR
    I Just Ride
    I made some snow/ice tires using 1/4" sheetmetal screws. Just screw them directly into the knobs, none of them stuck through to the inside so no need to worry about taping the inside of the tire and besides I use stans. The ones pictured above would be too much for the area where I ride.

rolling in the greens

New question here. how long do these last

Quote Originally Posted by IJR
    I made some snow/ice tires using 1/4" sheetmetal screws. Just screw them directly into the knobs, none of them stuck through to the inside so no need to worry about taping the inside of the tire and besides I use stans. The ones pictured above would be too much for the area where I ride.
    i would think the sheet metal screws would work themselves out of the rubber rather quickly unless you doped each one up with super glue.....
    Keith Bontrager: "Strong, light, cheap pick any two."

"Something strong and light ain't gonna be cheap. -That's what I call bling.

And cheap and strong ain't gonna be light. -That ain't bling."
    -----locoman

"That said, I never deal with bike shops for the same reasons. I am a ebay and mail order whore and I don't care" -----yetisurly

mtbr member

Rivets will work

I built one wheel using 1/16 (diameter) rivets and a 2.7 intense DH tire. The length of the rivet is up to you. Pre-drill the knob then insert the rivet from the inside of the tire. Use a manual rivet gun and bingo you have studs for your snow tire.

Then I taped the inside of the tire with two layers of duck tape and used a DH tube (3.0 size on a 2.7 tire) with 20 psi

New project, TBA shortly
    snow vs ice tires... for snow tires I've mainly used type of smallish, spikey mud tire. you don't need the metal spikes as long as the snow is soft, it really is just more rotating weight... for ice metal spikes are definitely needed. For snow right now I've got Kenda Knarly which give amazing traction. I try to stay away from sheets of ice.

right now, im still riding on my regular tires...no ice yet, just 3 inches of snow...when the ice sheets do start to form mid winter, the studded tires will come in handy.

Master of Disaster
    Dec 2004
    but can you get your DH bike a lift at a ski resort in the winter? That would be most excellent

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillkil
    but can you get your DH bike a lift at a ski resort in the winter? That would be most excellent
    i dont think so...i have a mega sled hill by my house thats long enought to accualy enjoy snowboarding down it. ima build a few kickers out of wood and set them up along the hill. i reach about 45mph down the hill so ill be flying off the 2-3ft kickers.

Yo Paseo El Scream

i dont' see how they work, don't the spikes on the inside puncture the tube????
    Banshee Bikes
    Honorary Member Of The 200 Club
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    ..."if i can jump it on my feet whilst running as fast as i can, then it aint worth jumping on a bike"...

go big or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeHucker
    i dont' see how they work, don't the spikes on the inside puncture the tube????
    well if you think about it, the only thing thats gonna pop your tube is the flat top of the screw, and that is very possible. So from what I understand you have to have some sort of material (duct tape, metal strip, etc) to keep the screw heads from going into your tube and holding the spikes well.

mtbr member
    I would go with duct tape because i tried it with a metal strip and it would cause flats from the strip cutting the tube slowly
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky05rider
    bmx is not dh/freeride....tight jeans are for girls

/dev/null

You could probably take them down even further to just barely protruding from the nut.

I made a couple snow tires a few years back using small screws. The further that the screw/bolt sticks out of the tire, the less traction you get - the bolt just folds right over and doesn't dig in. Also, you'll rip your tires to pieces quicker.

The bolt/nut idea is ingenious, and I may just have to make a set of those this winter. Cut those bolts down and go nuts!

soviet pride
    well here in socal i dont have to make any spiked tires, although u guys probably have better places to ride and i imagine its fun riding in the snow.

Glad to Be Alive

nice work mastro Jacko
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Quote Originally Posted by binary visions
    You could probably take them down even further to just barely protruding from the nut.

I made a couple snow tires a few years back using small screws. The further that the screw/bolt sticks out of the tire, the less traction you get - the bolt just folds right over and doesn't dig in. Also, you'll rip your tires to pieces quicker.

The bolt/nut idea is ingenious, and I may just have to make a set of those this winter. Cut those bolts down and go nuts!
    werd...like i said...i already cut them down...they are sticking 2-4mm above the nut...i like to add that i discoverd that studding the middle knobs isnt important...the side knobs are all that matter. also, i only made a front tire, because the regular rear tires ( in my case, 50 duro high rollers) wont slip as much as you think...

all end up here someday
    Quote Originally Posted by bentimby
    They are easy to make, but time consuming. You might be able to find some more info using the search function, that's where I found most of my info.

Only thing I would note - more does not necessarily equal better. I think under 100 spikes is fine, mine had about 150 or more. You don't need to go for overkill...unless you like playing Deathrace 2000!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If I get lost, don't go too fast!

mtbr member
    this may sound weird to some people, but i would put some WD-40 on the tire. only when its dry, it can keep the snow off the tire. I do it on shovels and sleds. If you do it right, the snow will come right off the Shovel. Thats if you want to do it. I'm not sure how it might work on a tire. Don't blame me if it doesn't work, it's just a suggestion.

go big or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    this may sound weird to some people, but i would put some WD-40 on the tire. only when its dry, it can keep the snow off the tire. I do it on shovels and sleds. If you do it right, the snow will come right off the Shovel. Thats if you want to do it. I'm not sure how it might work on a tire. Don't blame me if it doesn't work, it's just a suggestion.
    i tried it and broke my tailbone and im suing you b*tch, thats how things work here in america

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by ladge
    They are easy to make, but time consuming. You might be able to find some more info using the search function, that's where I found most of my info.

Only thing I would note - more does not necessarily equal better. I think under 100 spikes is fine, mine had about 150 or more. You don't need to go for overkill...unless you like playing Deathrace 2000!
    nice job ladge
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    bad idea, wd-40 will eat rubber

Uhhhhh...
    Snow riding looks really fun.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT