Snow Biking?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Snow Biking?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Snow Biking?

Just wondering if anyone has every gone out for a ride in the snow?

Not ski biking, but taking your bike and going of snow jumps of other things in the winter.

Pics would be cool.

SNOWRIDER
    You mean like this?

Not me on the bike, but I took the pic at Mt. Hood Meadows jump jam April 06..

(edit) Any locals who took part in the event, I may have pics of you. I was the guy there on the ski bike!
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yea, the snow started falling in NY last night, so riding season is coming to a close and i was toying with the idea of throwing some studded snow tires on my bike and going for a ride or two once we got more into winter and i wanted to see some pics or vids of others enjoying their bikes in the winter.

Keep em coming!!

General Rabble-Rouser
    Ya, I try to head out on the trails after the snow falls and the foot-paths get packed down.

It's like riding a 10" skinny the whole day

mtbr member
    Pic was taken Sept. 15 '07 at Mt. Pinos in SoCal. It was mostly an easy/flowy dh ride but the snow made it very fun and tricky. The Continental Diesel 2.5 Protection was a very good tire for this condition as well as the Hope Mono 6 brakes. It's very fun doing 2 wheel drifts in the corners while modulating the brakes and doing some countersteering to compensate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

StraightOuttaCompton
    that will be fun to do, but i haven't. we are lacking some snow in the reno/tahoe area lately.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

squish is good
    If it's not too deep its fun, just watch out for drifts! It's doable in the fall, not so much in the spring, I punched my front wheel through a section that was hollow underneath from meltwater in last April and went for a ride sans the bike! I plan on bringing the bike out to the ski slopes if I can sweet talk to lift operators later this winter. A freind of mine did it last year at White Pass in Washington state and he said it was scary as hell but fun. Were gonna see if we can get them to make it a regular event.

Pivotal figure
    I try to get at least one mid-winter trip up North each year. Flagstaff is pretty cool if the conditions are right, the snow has to get a crust layer or you just sink up to the axles and stop. Punching that wheel through at speed is pretty interesting though, you know what's coming but there's nothing you can do about it.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    If it's not too deep its fun, just watch out for drifts! It's doable in the fall, not so much in the spring, I punched my front wheel through a section that was hollow underneath from meltwater in last April and went for a ride sans the bike! I plan on bringing the bike out to the ski slopes if I can sweet talk to lift operators later this winter. A freind of mine did it last year at White Pass in Washington state and he said it was scary as hell but fun. Were gonna see if we can get them to make it a regular event.

On the last weekend of the ski season during the meltdown jam, there's a DH race for the MTBers out there. People show up on anything and basically just slide down on their asses for 5 mins

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    There's a DH race at Stevens Pass in Washington every year. I want to try it out this year any tips?
    2011 Santa Cruz V-10

2008 Giant Reign X

2007 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Snowmobile trails are fun if they're well packed, and there's not too much fresh stuff on top.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

You Bet...

Here's one of Chuky with one foot down and about to get sideways. Snow riding rules.

JMH

My arm hurts a little
    http://www.kidinthecorner.com/ - has some prettty sick "SNIRT" jumps on the front page.
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

mtbr member
    My favorite thing. As soon as temperature drops below freezing and there's snow on the ground I'm a happy biker. Rain and mud I don't like. Just today I did 26 miles in the morning and 38 miles in darkness after work. Snowy trails and lighting work well together. Transitions on frozen dirt roads I like doing with a single double bright led only if there's no cars around, it keeps me on the edge. Today I had studs on the rear only and hit some icy patches with front sliding out, fun if you don't crash. Winter riding - highly recommended.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Heres one from Western Nc http://jandwevents.com/dh.html

mtbr member
    Yup snow rides are fun....but too much snow just makes things slow.

this was last Sunday, about 8 inches of fresh pow......and now its all melted!!

mtbr member
    Thread resurrect time!

Went riding in the snow today instead of school

Members who have read this thread: 0