Small stuff I've been building...- Mtbr.com
    eminence front

Small stuff I've been building...

Me and a few friends have been building some stuff across the road from my house (zoned as wetland = no houses) and this is what we have so far. There is nothing to ride near us, so we have to build it all ourselves. Finally i am getting good at small drops/dj's.

The boardwalk is made of maple trees, and is about 30 feet long and about a 4 foot drop off. The DJ is the first i've ridden, also the first i've built. Right now its about 3 1/2 feet, but i keep adding more - It's about 4 now, we added more after taking the picture. The landing for it is useless, I have to re-position it about 5 feet back - im landing on flat ground right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    sweet. looks fun. looks like lots of work has gone into it. hope nobody tears it down.

soviet pride
    pretty solid
    im all about midget drops

mtbr member
    finally... someone that goes out there and actually builds stuff, instead of all of the people that always complain that there is nothing to ride near them. good going man, keep up the building and riding!

eminence front
    We had a 20ft long skinny aswell, but some stupid punks must have kicked it over. I have yet to get the time to set it back up...

The boardwalk should be fine unless someone takes an axe to it. We put 6 people on it at once to test - it was built using 4-inch nails for the frame, and screws for all the 'planks'.

Cynical Bystander
    That looks like a lot of fun dude. Keep building.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Schmeow Productions
    noice stuff... looks sturdy...

btw, what bike is that?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    props man, i was trying to build a dirt jump/drop off and it got bulldozed. Location is key.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman
    Location is key.
    location is very key!! i built a drop off the side of my front yard the goes about 6-7ft. down into a steep walking trail, and after the drop i put a small kicker on the trail. some punk skateboarders who think biking "is for fags" tore it apart. these kids piss me off, they tried starting a fight cuz i was on "their street" even tho i live there. next time i shouldnt ignore there threats and just wear all my bike gear and carry a metal fistpack haha
    "Don't wait for your ship to come in - swim out to it"
    -Richie Schley

ridin' is my escape
    tell those skaters this " do you know what the hardest part about skating is? telling your parents your g@y"

although i used to skateboard, nice stuff, keep building
    _SouthBaySoldiers_

MTBR Mafia
    i used to skate to and i hate "skaters" now (most that is, some are cool) they try so hard to be bada** when they really do look gay. haha what losers.
    oh and nice pics, djing is so addicting

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    Hey nice.. I got to post some pics of the stuff I have been working on.
    Life is to short... get out and ride

eminence front
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    btw, what bike is that?
    Its a '05 Jamis Komodo, stock except for pedals. It was all I could afford - but its been great so far. First thing im going to have to upgrade will be the fork & hubs, the QR isn't going to cut it much longer.

EDIT: On that note: What would be a good fork upgrade? I have 130mm fork right now, and the head tube is (according to the website) 67.575 deg. Thanks.
    Last edited by xray; 05-26-2005 at 05:45 AM.

a'buh?
    I don't want to offend you, but you are doing 4 ft. drops and like 6 ft. gaps on a nice hardtail. I don't think that the "QR isn't going to cut it much longer" I still ride a QR fork, and while I have snapped one skewer, it was off an 8 ft drop (which isn't huge, but it's twice as big as four feet) Sorry, it just annoys me when I see kids on really nice FR bikes doing tiny stuff (not that your stuff is tiny). All I'm saying is, don't waste your money upgrading sh*t until it breaks. By the way, should your fork break, look into a sherman flick or firefly, or a z.1
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay

mtbr member
    It does not seem like a good idea to build stunts and other things on wetlands just because it is "across the street" or whatever.

I hope it is all kosher.

Looks like fun.

eminence front
    I didn't say I was going to upgrade right now, I will wait till it breaks for sure - i just want to know what my options are if/when something gives way. I also had no idea how much QR's could withstand... now I know it should be fine.

It's zoned as wetland/swamp, but im building atleast 100ft away from where it starts to get wet. I cut the trees from other area's (including our property) and only cut whats needed for a small trail. The only reason there arn't any houses over there is because their basements would be flooded all the time and they would have problems with the foundation.