Smacking / rotating chain guide ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Smacking / rotating chain guide ?

I built up a Trek Remedy 8 for trail use. After a run today I noticed a lot of resistance when I tried to back pedal. Turns out the Blackspire ISCG chain guide / roller had rotated against the chainstay (pinching th chain against the chainstay). I checked the guide @ home and there are impact scrapes on the guide plate. The ISCG bolts were tight so it must have been a direct impact. This is the first frame I have owned w/ a chainsaty that is shaped so low. So is this going to be something to live with or different guide or ? The picture is after I corrected the smack - has about 10mm of clearance now.Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    seeing how the roller can't be tucked deep enough above the bashguard, I think you will continue to experience this problem. Some bikes are like this. You're not alone. Mojo's are like this too.

mtbr member
    What he said. A different guide, like the e.13 DRS, which uses a plate behind the roller that would space it out and prevent this issue might work better in this case.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    I have the same guide as you on my 2010 Remedy frame and have no problems. What size chainring are you using? I've found that with a 34T bash ring there's just enough room to make everything work smoothly. Just need to be patient when setting it up, and crank the hardware down nice and snug.
    Go ride your bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    I have the same guide as you on my 2010 Remedy frame and have no problems. What size chainring are you using? I've found that with a 34T bash ring there's just enough room to make everything work smoothly. Just need to be patient when setting it up, and crank the hardware down nice and snug.
    22/32 w/ an MRP 34t bash. The roller is almost touching the bash and the bolts were tight. I have read that the ISCG guides are not designed to be absolutly locked in place or the ISCG tabs would damage from guide impacts.