Slack Ass Scythe- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Slack Ass Scythe

Here she is all built up. Everything was transferred over from my previous Scythe. Only new part is the shock. After too much debating I decided to go for it and get the shorter shock. No real ride time yet due to a hand injury, but the short loop I did Sunday reminded me of how stiff the Scythe is.

I took some measurements of the HA and BB but I am not sure if I believe them. Using my iPhone and a ruler my numbers are slacker than the numbers the bike designer provided.

Banshee Scyhte Large
    Rockshox Totem Coil 1.5 Steerer
    Hammerschmidt Crank/BB/Shifter
    Shimano Saint Rear Derailleur/ Shifter
    Avid Code G3 w/ Goodridge Hoses
    CCDB 8.5x2.5
    Chris King 1.5 EC Headset with Griplock
    Canfield Crampons v1
    Race Face Atlas FR Bars (Stealth)
    ESI Chunky Grips w/ Transition Bar Ends
    Transition Temple Lite Stem
    Chromag QR Seat Collar
    THE DH seat
    Hope Pro II Evos laced to 823
    High Roller II (R)/ Minion DHF (F)

Total weight: 41.8lbs

(Front wheel is on loan from my Ventana, Gold Pro II/823 is on the way)

Last edited by Calhoun; 02-22-2012 at 07:17 AM. Reason: add build & weight
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That is one awesome Scythe you have there Cal.

Once you get some ride time on the short shock you need to give it a proper review. I've been pondering getting a second shock for my Scythe, but I haven't been able to convince myself it would be worth it.

mtbr member
    Thanks man, I was really hoping for the Black ano but the distributor kept breaking promises. I feel lucky to have gotten the Raw.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Bike looks great

So is it a shorter shock with the same stroke? If not, what is the travel now? And what were the numbers your iPhone was throwing up?
    Last edited by nightofthefleming; 02-22-2012 at 03:03 PM.
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

Nucking Futs
    Very sick Scythe, lovely colours. Sweet pedals aswell.

How is the DB over a dhx?
    Amplify Your ®ide!

Spitfire Amp Scythe

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.

Stock shock is 8.75x2.75 and I replaced it with a 8.5x2.5

here are the new numbers. I didn't measure the seatpost angle(s) yet, so I may have to update those numbers

Name:  Measured.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  24.2 KB

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneeck View Post
    Very sick Scythe, lovely colours. Sweet pedals aswell.

How is the DB over a dhx?
    I have only had DB on my Scythe(s) and it is awesome. I have a DHX on my Ventana and I had a tough time getting that set up just right. The DB has tons of functions, but it is very easy to tinker with.

-cabra cadabra

Now with More Wood
    Nice ride. How are those braided hoses working out - they make a big difference?

mtbr member
    I started this bike with the braided hoses. On a previous bike I jacked up the stock housing on my Elixirs and changed them out to the Goodridge. I don't know that I feel a huge difference in braking but I know that they can handle the abuse.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    added build and weight to first post

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Looking great bud! Hope that hand heals up, 80-something days till AF!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    how does it pedal with the hammerschmidt?

brake later, pedal sooner
    Nice build! I miss my Scythe that thing ripped...

one thing though, not sure if it even matters, but your shock is on backwards from the usual way they get mounted on these bikes.

mtbr member
    Damn, that looks good, Rosy! Can't wait to see you hittin' that sht! That slack head angle is gonna be sweet at Angel Fire & Pajarito this year! Nice build.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf View Post

one thing though, not sure if it even matters, but your shock is on backwards from the usual way they get mounted on these bikes.
    When they first came out the shock was mounted the way as shown in the pic.

I put a -2 deg works component head set in mine. My numbers is about the same as yours. Really don't know why people don't put angle reducer cups in instead of the shorter shock. You keep the travel while lowering the BB and get a slacker HA.

By the way nice looking bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Looking great bud! Hope that hand heals up, 80-something days till AF!
    Zero, you gonna get a season pass, or will we see you every now & then?

mtbr member
    Doesn't matter which way the shock goes, it works the same.
    Calhoun's got a 1.5 headtube on that fork, so it would have been the cost of another fork (1 1/8 or tapered steertube) & headset, instead of a rear shock. Probably not much more costly than a CCDB, but Calhoun gets the brah deals. Keeping your travel to get that slack does sound more appealing, though.
    Glad to see that Banshee is still sticking with the 1.5 headtube instead of that tapered crap. Better angleset options and anyone can still use tapered, 1 1/8, or 1.5 forks by simply selecting the necessary headset.
    Rosy, do you think you'll still use that bike for our big days of XC still? Seems the slack headset might limit it's potential for climbing, etc. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte View Post
    Zero, you gonna get a season pass, or will we see you every now & then?
    **** man, hope to make it 2x for 3-4 days of riding each. Loading up the truck and a small crew, you know how we roll!
    I'd like to make it up there more, but realistically, that won't happen for another 2-3 years till the groms are rippin' a bit harder and they can come with me for long weekends (which the wifey will encourage so she can have an empty house).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf View Post

Thanks man, seeing your Scythe helped with the decision
    I put the shock in this way so that I can get to the dials easier. I still need to go through the motions and set it up.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic reducer View Post
    how does it pedal with the hammerschmidt?
    I rode my previous Scyhte everywhere last season. Locally we have some pretty big climbs, but I also took the bike to Moab, Sedona, Duthie, Whistler, SLC...

This bike climbs awesome. I am sure I could lose some weight by dropping the Hammer but the bike would lose a lot of versatility.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    When they first came out the shock was mounted the way as shown in the pic.

I put a -2 deg works component head set in mine. My numbers is about the same as yours. Really don't know why people don't put angle reducer cups in instead of the shorter shock. You keep the travel while lowering the BB and get a slacker HA.

By the way nice looking bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte View Post
    Doesn't matter which way the shock goes, it works the same.
    Calhoun's got a 1.5 headtube on that fork, so it would have been the cost of another fork (1 1/8 or tapered steertube) & headset, instead of a rear shock. Probably not much more costly than a CCDB, but Calhoun gets the brah deals. Keeping your travel to get that slack does sound more appealing, though.
    Glad to see that Banshee is still sticking with the 1.5 headtube instead of that tapered crap. Better angleset options and anyone can still use tapered, 1 1/8, or 1.5 forks by simply selecting the necessary headset.
    Rosy, do you think you'll still use that bike for our big days of XC still? Seems the slack headset might limit it's potential for climbing, etc. Thoughts?
    When looking at the options I could come out ahead financially by short shocking it. I would have had to buy new uppers, headset, stem all out of pocket. So i sold my 8.75x2.75 shock and used the money to buy the 8.5x2.5. I would have preferred the Works headset but I am happy with what I have.

The cool thing is that I still have my favourite setting and I gained more. With the stock shock I always rode the bike in the 7" FR mode. This was the best setting for the AM style riding we do around here. Looking over the chart I actually still have that geo available. So I really only gained. Also the travel is reduced but I never liked the bike in 8" travel mode. It never felt right. So since I was always riding in 7" mode for lift and pedal served riding I only lose .6" of travel.

I am not sure if I will take the Scythe out for big XC days. I have been off the bike for about four weeks and it does not sound appealing. But you never know!

Another plus is if I am unhappy with the change the 8.5x2.5 will be easy to sell since so many bikes use that shock size.

-cabra cadabra

Members who have read this thread: 0