Skin Suites Banned for 2009 UCI- Mtbr.com
    moaaar shimz

Skin Suites Banned for 2009 UCI

Just read on Dirt Mag website

We've just had an interesting phone call from a UCI trade team manager concerning skinsuits. Apparently the team manager received an email from Peter Van den Abele the UCI Sports Co-ordinator for Cyclecross and Mountainbike which said:

"Skinsuits will be banned for DH and 4x, this was approved by the UCI management board two weeks ago"
    Dated 2/10/08
    At last!!!

Will to Win
    no more lycra influence in our world then...
    2008 Transition Dirtbag Custom
    2003 Schwinn Moab 2 Singlespeed

EastBaySteez
    I thought tight shorts where in?! Damn! I guess I'll have to return my Performance brand Lycra...
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

外国人
    Jun 2007
    good then, more protection are required of the riders, we don't want another career ending injury like tara llanes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    I thought tight shorts where in?! Damn! I guess I'll have to return my Performance brand Lycra...
    Don't think you got the memo... It's tight girl jeans that are in. Look at all the BMXers and the SS guys.

StraightOuttaCompton
    finally. no more sac constriction for them
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Enforcer
    Jul 2007
    Guys should never have worn skin suits. Girls on the other hand...
    Quote Originally Posted by holoholo
    why should I search google--when I can get a know-it-all like you to do it?
    Legend...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikazee ideki
    CAMEL TOE!!! *throws gasoline on eyes and lights afire*
    "Solution to two of the world's problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry."

Enforcer
    Jul 2007
    How did i know someone was going to say that?
    Legend...

Glad to Be Alive
    plus one
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

clyde in training
    I really don't understand the problem with lycra. I ski raced for years and wore a tight little gs suit when I raced. I also play college football and wear tight little pants. If it is functional, then why not? Are people really that insecure?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrix
    CAMEL TOE!!! *throws gasoline on eyes and lights afire*

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Oh you're just all kinds of evil.
    "Solution to two of the world's problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry."

trail fairy
    Skinsuits are GHEY

and Rachel says

Last edited by trailadvent; 10-17-2008 at 01:09 AM.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    camel toe song
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7fdh9s3vDSA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7fdh9s3vDSA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

not even that many ppl wore them the only time they did was in the world champs....
    i wasnt a big fan of them but i thought they were one of those things that made the champs stand out from the rest of the World cups
    looking for someone fast to ride with in the yay

RIDESFO

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 08nwsula
    I really don't understand the problem with lycra. I ski raced for years and wore a tight little gs suit when I raced. I also play college football and wear tight little pants. If it is functional, then why not? Are people really that insecure?
    Yes, they are. I don't have a problem with a rule against it, but to attack people for doing what they could within the rules to gain a competitive advantage is stupid. Rach seems cool and all, but this is the top level of the sport and a certain level of professionalism should be expected.

Enforcer
    Jul 2007
    Ebarker, the skinsuits suck thing was just a joke that got taken the wrong way by people on the forums. Rach is cool and wasnt trying to attack tracy to be mean - they hugged each other and were laughing about it during the presentation. Hope this clears it up before this becomes a huge efight like on a certain other forum.
    Legend...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ebarker, the skinsuits suck thing was just a joke that got taken the wrong way by people on the forums. Rach is cool and wasnt trying to attack tracy to be mean - they hugged each other and were laughing about it during the presentation. Hope this clears it up before this becomes a huge efight like on a certain other forum.
    I'll take your word for it...just kind of hard to not see it as a bit of a sore loser move (not that I really care much one way or the other).

Proud lame eBiker
    Great....UCI reaches out and rules what to wear. Great use of resources guys. I just don't understand why it's up to the governing board to tell the riders what to wear. I mean, how much is a skinsuite? Not like everyone of the racers couldn't have a skinsuite to race in if they wanted.
    On what basis is the UCI using to mandate dress code? "Cause we said so" clause?
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Capricious youth...
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    You are incorrect. Tight pants and rollerblades are in.
    Meh.

trail fairy
    Yeah Rachel was taking the piss as most here are, lets not get too serious internet is for fun!

But taking someones point about regulations and why should the UCI decide, I'll use another example someone mentioned re the NFL and manlyness!

NFL decides there's a dresscode on feild and thats it, in professional sports there are rules and regs govenered by the organising body this is standard and its good the UCI is starting to get some consistency for a change, as they should re protection as well, Im all for freedom etc, but this is a pro sport trying to gain recognition and competing for everyones dollars growth etc, it needs credibility.

There's no sense in riders chooisng one or the other for performance, if skin suits are faster and gives them an edge it just means the edge is gone if everyone wears them, often riders don't want to wear them but there own National body enforces it, this way there's a comon decision for all National bodies at International level, and some credibility for sponsors and new blood attracted to the sport.

Lycra is for XC and Roadies,lets no whats what and get rid of all the confusion, thank gawd we don't see Bobba Stewart in a skin suit in moto x

Now all you NFL bofins can go back to the closet and put on your skin suits, we play rugby here no pads no helmets no skin suits Oh Im poking fun here too this is the non serious paragraph
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Enforcer
    Jul 2007
    lol, its what the internet does to things like that. You had to be at the world cup in canberra to understand.
    Legend...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    lol, its what the internet does to things like that. You had to be at the world cup in canberra to understand.
    So try to explain. What don't we understand about this here internet thing and how a skin suit that costs less than a baggy jersey and baggy pants is cheating? Well?

Women in skin tights lycra is hot! Um, yeah, why would they want that?

mtbr member
    I was against the skinsuits when the topic came up during the ft. bill and Canberra WC's
    But now that I think about it, skinsuits belong in mountain bike racing.
    Riders are looking for every possible advantage...they shave weight by running 3 or 4 bolts on the rotors. If a rider/team wants to take advantage of aerodynamics, why shouldn't they be able to, it's not Team Mojo or Tracy Moseley's problem that others don't think they look cool.
    One of the appealing things about mountain biking is freedom...freedom to do say and wear what you want. Rachel can write on her forearms "Skinsuits Suck" and not get fined by the UCI, and Tracy can put her Trophy on the dinner table.
    I was watching The Circus,a film that follows the 2001 World Cup Season, it was awesome how Greg Minnaar beat out Nico for the world cup, they were all wearing skinsuits and helmets without visors, it didn't matter, the racing was still awesome and thats what should matter.
    What about Palmer losing the world title by inches, more people remember him for losing because he refused to wear a skinsuit.
    Mountain biking is an INDIVIDUALS sport, it's unique, it's about freedom. I'm sure there are more important issues that the UCI should be working out instead of being fashion police, if they asked the riders the skinsuit issue would not be on the top of the list.
    It should be up to the riders and teams is what I'm trying to say.

I guess I needed to let off a little steam since it's election season and I don't get why some propositions are even on the ballot (california).

mtbr member
    I think as long as protection doesn't suffer it should be allowed. If a result of this ban is that all the rides previously wearing skin suites now wear neck braces and chest protection, then great keep it. But if they have similar protection but with a jersey on top, well, who the fck cares.

If they are banning them, then I think the next logical step is to make pressure suites compulsory on all world cup level events.

Look at the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    On what basis is the UCI using to mandate dress code? "Cause we said so" clause?
    On the same basis on which they make all other rules for UCI races? Like, no spikes, no XC style helmets, no engine and such. In UCI cyclocross races, you can't use disc brakes. In 4x racing, there is a minimum wheel size (26" iirc). etc etc.

As if a dress code for sports is something new? In UCI road races, you can't wear pants that extent below your knee, or sleeveless jerseys.
    Or, try showing up to a pro football game in baggy pants and see if they let you play...
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

I dig trails!
    When you are above 17mph, aerodynamics is the greatest factor in speed resistance.

Skin suits are an edge, and just another tool in the toolbox for a racer to use depending on conditions. For example a racer might think, "it's really gusty and windy, I think this is a good condition for a skinsuit for an advantage". They are racing on the world stage, to get there and be on top you do everything you can. Skinsuits were not an unfair advantage - unless you have baggie clothing sponsors. (One could also argue having custom built, not available to the other racers, shocks are an unfair advantage, but I don't see anyone writing it on their arms for the podium... weaksauce)

The UCI is probably focused on the DH racers as a marketable brand (for sponsors), hence the rule.

P
    Last edited by Mr.P; 10-27-2008 at 09:15 AM.

mtbr member
    The safety of the racers should be the top priority with any decision that the UCI takes, but skinsuits have room for protective gear.
    If they ban them in DH racing they should also ban them in XC racing, those xc skinsuits are horrible, and lately I've only seen male riders wearing them like Kabush and Adam Craig.
    Road races don't allow skinsuits, only time trials, so it should be the same in the MTB world, if the UCI is telling people what to wear they should start with the worst offenders LOL.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by vwolf
    Road races don't allow skinsuits
    That's cause they're F-ing wankers. Should be no-holds barred human-powered with any technology they want that doesn't actually turn the pedals. I think the roadie-world is just too upset that the "classic" look of a road-bike would change too much if all the technology was actually infused into it, it might even go recumbant. Sad really.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vwolf
    Road races don't allow skinsuits, only time trials, so it should be the same in the MTB world...
    Unless something has changed...downhill mountainbike racing is a downhill time trial. With your logic they should allow skin suits.

I like chicks in tights lycra. Only fat women should wear baggy clothes.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    So I'll wager a bet here that all the baggy shorts and jerseys get a LOT tighter next season. (Especially near the W.C...)
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Some Assembly Required
    Spill over issue from the Olympic swimmers.....???
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Members who have read this thread: 0