Sinister SplinterMX- Mtbr.com
    mtbr remember

Sinister SplinterMX

After a slow process of collecting parts on deals and whatnot, I just finished the build of my Sinister SplinterMX today... Swapped over quite a few parts from another bike I have, and there are still a bit more things to tweak and adjust, but came together fairly easily compared to a few other builds I've done.... Always nice to see a project come together, then throw a leg over her...

Anyway, this thing handles better than I imagined it would actually...
    Didn't really set my hopes too high, you know, like some people who draw up plans and charts and lists for bikes to build and expect this dream to float them down the mountain doing backflips or something ridiculous... since this is just another bike build afterall, bolting stuff together to see how it works, it's hard to tell sometimes how things will work together....
    But honestly, just by reading the geometry, etc, before I bought it, I did expect it to be pretty nimble, but this Splinter really does ride like the chainstays are an inch shorter than reality!! They are already fairly short at 16.7", but it feels easier to manual than my 4X Turner Rail!
    Angles are adjustable via the rod by the shock, so I can slacken/steepen it out, or raise/lower bottom bracket height. Very nice feature for shredding different areas, but I run it fairly low and slack at the moment here. Actually slacker than I expected at the bb height I was planning for though, but no prob at all (probably won't be saying that on long climbs though, haha). I should also mention that it throws around very easily under you, balanced out nicely, and feels like it's a good 5 or more pounds lighter than reality...
    Anyway, enough about my ridiculous written praise on this, here's the specs and some photos I just took while cruisin' round town on my lowrider bicycle... (yeah, snow sucks!)

and one pic of the trick little Fly euro-to-spanish conversion cups on there... like outboard bearings for profile style cranks. pa-pow!

well, still waiting on a few more parts, one very trick piece in particular, but here's the line-up as it sits:

Sinister SplinterMX (small) w/ Fox DHX 5.0 (had to remove blue reservoir cover for clearance)
    Fox 36VAN
    CaneCreek Dub Xc
    Hope head-doctor instead of starnut
    Dangerboy SR71 51mm OS w/ 6-shooter top-cap
    SIC Livin' Large 31.8 X 710mm bars, uncut

(oh yeah, just noticed) two dif. grips on there in these pics, one is black ODI ruffian, other is a cool little UnAuthorized half waffle/half diamond lock-on in grey w/ pewter lock-ons, picked'em up in Japan recently and was deciding which I liked better when I was riding it... but I also have some blue Duo Doyle bmx grips I might slap on at some point...

Macneil 30.9 Pivotal seatpost
    Macneil SL perforated leather seat (have the grey one on my street/dj rig, but def. not meant marathons, haha)
    Hope 34.9 qr seatclamp (yeah, I'll raise it sometimes on this sled)
    Azonic Outlaw wheelset 12mm thru-axle rear (pretty trick for the price, and I've had good luck with Alex Supra D's in the past)
    Kenda Nevegal rubber 2.35 rear/2.5 front
    Hope Mono M4 w/ goodridge ss lines and 2-piece carrier rotors 185r/205f
    (don't pay attention to the front line, it was swapped over from an old rear and hasn't been cut, so it was twisted around the stem at the moment...)
    Dangerboy Hope blades black
    temporary FSA X-drive 170mm cranks (replace with TSC torrid or Demo medial)
    Profile titanium 19mmX6" spindle
    Fly Bikes euro-to-spanish external bearing conversion cups 19mm spanish bearings
    Atomlab Aircorp peds
    temporary Salsa 34t SS ring on FSA spider (going to be replaced soon with a surprise)
    temporary TruVativ Boxguide (going back on a different bike and replaced w/ e.13 LG-W)
    XT M760 11-34t cassette
    XT M752 short-cage rear derailleur painted black
    XT M750 right hand shifter painted black and index window removed
    QBP cable/housing
    Sram pc991 chain (might swap out for a wipperman...)

and that's about it for that line-up...

total weight (according to hanging Berkley bass fishing scale) is 39lb 13oz
    I think I can easily lose some weight with different crank arms, lose the spider/ring combo, knight ti pivotal and crank bolts, and a few other minor things, but it doesn't bother me at the moment. I won't be slappin' coin down for a ti spring or anything like that though...
    bb height is at 13.4" right now
    chainstays are 16.7 c to c

well, let's hear what you think of this Bottlerocket fighter!!! I love the bottle rocket personally, but I have always dug what Sinister Bikes and FTW have had up their sleeves too, not to mention they have a super solid and supportive band of brothers (sista's too I'd imagine) goin' on there. big props to Frank!
    I'll try to drop some action shots as soon as this ridiculous snow recedes from the arctic north here...
    wow, long post...
    Last edited by BikeSATORI; 03-21-2007 at 08:15 PM.
    Schralp it Heavy.

a tight kick sound
    nice lookin rig and great write-up!
    Hail to the BR fighters

Booner

moaaar shimz
    Stealthy and sweet, congrats

Meh.
    I dig it. I wanted that frame for such a long time.

train gorilla
    I love those frames. Especially the mxs. Were'nt you going to put a 9 speed tree chainwheel on there?
    The officer saw the words, "This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb" and became concerned.

mtbr remember
    Thanks for the props everyone! rides like a dream! raped my pockets though that's for sure, can't even imagine what it would have costed if everything were brand new, and I purchased the frame when they first came out!!

Quote Originally Posted by ---->SWERVE76<----
    I love those frames. Especially the mxs. Were'nt you going to put a 9 speed tree chainwheel on there?
    awww, you killed it bro! no more surprise! haha... no worries... yeah, I'm going to throw one on there... the first one did not work though, so back to the drawing board. It's coming shortly though! fingers crossed this one works out!!!! I'll post some more up on that too... either here or in the street/dj/park forum...
    MXS is the same as this frame, but with a 1" longer tt, that's the only dif. I didn't need that extra 1", although I could use it for climbing, but that's about it, I like short cockpits.

yeah, I will eventually send the frame back to FTW at Sinister for an upgrade as well... and I may get the swingarm painted in that signature Sinister "light blue" and throw on those blue Duo Doyle grips I have... might look cool, but I'm diggin' the hot rod flat black... but my Rail is all black, and so was my echo trials bike, haha... sho' nuff, I'm a Rollin' stone!!!
    paint is solid on this frame too.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mmm bacon
    sweet ride

mtbr member
    thats awesome bro..i dig that thing so much. nice pics, where are you from? looks north easternish
    Last edited by ebfreerider510; 03-21-2007 at 08:58 PM.

Premium Member
    Love the BB and Macneil, way BMX.

pwn3rator
    neat...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

SMT Supporter
    Kicks any bottlerocker @ss for shoooooo!
    "If you have a 50 dollar head, buy a 50 dollar helmet"

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojai Bicyclist
    Love the BB and Macneil, way BMX.
    yeah, haha..... gonna rock some bmx crank arms soon as well as the sprocket... (wanted to rock the 2.5 Fly's too, but their proprietary spindle length is about 10mm too short, fudge. same w/ wombolts.) I'm set with profile 19mm standards at the moment though.

and you had no idea how close I was to picking up some of those 22.2 pimp steel bars on the atomlab closeouts site, then pairing it with an ODSY Elementary. woulda been sickness squared, no doubt, but I still love my SIC bar and Dangerboy neg. rise stem... solid, wide, and hella light w/ a great bend/rise.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    very nice ride. I should get around to posting up my splinter some time. I would talk to Frank about getting one of the newer pullrods with real bearings, it definitely makes a difference in travel smoothness. Those old pullrods=ass.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by toothlessrancidbear
    very nice ride. I should get around to posting up my splinter some time. I would talk to Frank about getting one of the newer pullrods with real bearings, it definitely makes a difference in travel smoothness. Those old pullrods=ass.
    already been discussed briefly with FTW. I am having NO probs with this set-up yet... mos. def. wouldn't say it feels =ass. thing is plush!
    well, the thing is right now... Sinister bikes and FTW are super busy at this time of year... cranking out new projects. So to strip my bike back down, then send it back in would take time... time that I could probably deal with... but the fact that it may be at the shop for awhile makes the wait bad. Especially at this time when I really want to get out and stretch my legs!
    It would probably take a seat on the back burner for a bit I would imagine with some new projects on the table there at Sinister Bikes... (they've got something in store that not many will expect, but will be blown away by, I'll put money down on it! should be sickness squared!) Anyway, yeah the procedure is def. on my list of things to do. I am also moving soon, so I won't have a permanent address for a little while either....
    well, I thought I mentioned it here, but maybe not... I have thought about having them paint the swingarm that signature Sinister "light blue" when they get the frame for the overhaul... then I'd throw on those blue Duo Doyle grips I have and it might look pretty smooth... maybe.

yeah, post up pics of your hot rod for sure! I'd def. like to check it out.
    do a search, and there is another thread here about Splinters, that I'd honestly have no beef if you revived. Maybe I should too and post my new pics there. ride-on!
    Last edited by BikeSATORI; 03-22-2007 at 04:22 PM.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr remember
    amazing what you think of when you can't get out and ride the trails...

paying a ton of money just for colored Hope bore caps??? phssssst, yeah right! paint marker action bia! usually I'm not so worried about it, but gold seriously isn't my thang' if you know what I'm sayin'...

Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr remember
    couple recent visuals after new cranks, a few other minor monds, and also a few more rides under the belt...

now sitting at just a tad over 39lb as well! I'm diggin' it, nothing sacrificed and worked as well as it could with this frame.
    but... still waiting for that Tree Lite 9spd... apparently Sam ran into a delay with the steel splined inserts, so I'm waiting. Could have had a regular bolt on version by now, but I wanted to try spline drive. So, gotta be patient.
    Last edited by BikeSATORI; 05-07-2007 at 01:07 PM.
    Schralp it Heavy.

-> SickLines.com <-
    I like the way Sinister's look. You chop that front brake cable down yet?

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    I like the way Sinister's look. You chop that front brake cable down yet?
    haha, nope, not yet, sorry... I know, messy cable routing is one of my pet peeves, but for some reason on this one I just haven't gotten to it yet... works fine, but still floppy jalopy up front.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Equal opportunity meanie
    We may have to have a duel for sickest rig in the very near future...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    We may have to have a duel for sickest rig in the very near future...

get off the internet and build the damn thing then

Equal opportunity meanie
    Quote Originally Posted by SJensen

get off the internet and build the damn thing then
    Waiting on parts ya floppy vag....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    that thing looks soo sick dude...any way you could post some close ups of the linkage/pivots...and maybe someone could so of explain to me how that thing works?
    so this is how you add a signature!!

mtbr member
    May 2006

Yea,so sick that they stopped making it.

Quote Originally Posted by dd13
    that thing looks soo sick dude...any way you could post some close ups of the linkage/pivots...and maybe someone could so of explain to me how that thing works?
    All set with ANY discontinued frame.I'm guessing they stopped making it for a reason.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    All set with ANY discontinued frame.I'm guessing they stopped making it for a reason.
    yeah, Frank moved on to r&d of VST progression. If you haven't heard the word.
    Your reasoning is brilliant Crazy Fred.

Frame is just a single pivot with a moto-link that creates the possibility to adjust infinitely (within threaded area) the head angle and BB height. Drops a lot of unsprung weight and centers everything too, was called LMC or "low mass centralization" at the time.

Evil had plans for a production FS frame with the same design, but some legalities or something or other halted production, not to mention this was all prior to Weagle's DWlink action.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Well I like it. There is a guy up here in BC that has a blue one for sale for $900.00, and needless to say I keep thinking about it, for when the time comes to see about getting back into a dually (Only have an HT right now), and gettiing back into the Dirt.
    My questions are:
    Will Sinister still help you, even though it's been discontinued?
    Just what does it ride like?
    Is it good for FR, and All Mountain types of riding? A good "One Bike" sort of ride?

Thanks. Sick ride man!

Glad to Be Alive
    very nice...love the background too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Td72
    Well I like it. There is a guy up here in BC that has a blue one for sale for $900.00, and needless to say I keep thinking about it, for when the time comes to see about getting back into a dually (Only have an HT right now), and gettiing back into the Dirt.
    My questions are:
    Is it good for FR, and All Mountain types of riding? A good "One Bike" sort of ride?

Thanks. Sick ride man!
    Sinister will for sure back up their stuff.My good good freind(on my over to the shop now) is part owner and the GM of Sinister bikes.If ever you need anything PM me and I'll put you in touch with him(or FTW).Peace CF.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by Td72
    My questions are:

Thanks. Sick ride man!

Yes, as Crazy Fred mentioned, they most DEFINITELY back up any one of their past products, no hassles no worries about it. Sinister customer service is among the best out there.

And as of right now, Frank is actually still building Splinters. (although not for public sale)
    look here and watch the video just shot a few days ago in his shop and notice all of the frames being made: FTW working

The Splinter makes a great all-rounder bike (one reason why I got it), but there were two (three if you count MXs) versions made; the 'MX' (which I have) is steered at heavy duty, abusive "mountain cross" use, or "most xcellent shreddage" haha... or the "ER" version, which is the "extended range" version, which is a lighter AM version with less gussets 1" shorter travel and a regular 10mm drop rear instead of the 12mm thru-axle. Some minor geo changes as well, and no 1.5ht on the ER. Both are completely adjustable to fit your style and terrain, from slack to steep, and from high bb for clearance, to low bb for railing. Adjusts to whatever fork you buy as well.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Who are the brain police?
    That is one fine ride...
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Nice...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    Yes, as Crazy Fred mentioned, they most DEFINITELY back up any one of their past products, no hassles no worries about it. Sinister customer service is among the best out there.

And as of right now, Frank is actually still building Splinters. (although not for public sale)
    look here and watch the video just shot a few days ago in his shop and notice all of the frames being made: FTW working

The Splinter makes a great all-rounder bike (one reason why I got it), but there were two (three if you count MXs) versions made; the 'MX' (which I have) is steered at heavy duty, abusive "mountain cross" use, or "most xcellent shreddage" haha... or the "ER" version, which is the "extended range" version, which is a lighter AM version with less gussets 1" shorter travel and a regular 10mm drop rear instead of the 12mm thru-axle. Some minor geo changes as well, and no 1.5ht on the ER. Both are completely adjustable to fit your style and terrain, from slack to steep, and from high bb for clearance, to low bb for railing. Adjusts to whatever fork you buy as well.
    Thanks for the info Satori. I will look into it once school is done in August and I get to work. I really need to get my hands on a good dually, and the Splinter will join the list of rides to look at.

Members who have read this thread: 0