Sinister Splinter MX? !!!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Who are the brain police?
    Reputation: Locoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,111

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Sinister Splinter MX? !!!

    Any word on this bike? I've been looking at similiar travel bikes around the $1K (for frame), but this one has me thinking about saving more pennies...

    What do you think

    http://www.sinisterbikes.com/splinter_mx.htm
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

  2. #2
    Xtremely Moderate
    Reputation: e<i>o's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,098
    Just when I thought Sinister was in the bag, they bounced right back. Good for them.

    I saw those Splinters and I know they've been in prototype for a while. They look pretty snazzy. Kinda like a Ridge with suspension.

    But, I'm not sure I understand that suspension design..........


    ........Zedro please explain.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Felpur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    798
    Cant say I understand how it works from looking at the pic. though it does make good porn while at work..... Looks similar to the DW link thing..... any others know more about this frame??

  4. #4
    Who are the brain police?
    Reputation: Locoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,111

    From the website..

    Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    Just when I thought Sinister was in the bag, they bounced right back. Good for them.

    I saw those Splinters and I know they've been in prototype for a while. They look pretty snazzy. Kinda like a Ridge with suspension.

    But, I'm not sure I understand that suspension design..........


    ........Zedro please explain.
    From the website it looks like Frank the Welder bought out Sinister's assets (from welder to President).

    Yeah, I can't figure out the suspension. Its an odd design.. but if it works as good as it looks...
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

  5. #5
    /dev/null
    Reputation: binary visions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    720
    Uh oh. We've gotten into the "looks similar to..." discussion.

    The suspension is easy. It's a low single pivot (the pivot is right above the BB), with a little linkage to actuate the shock. Nothing even remotely special. The idea is that you keep all the weight towards the bottom of the frame which should lower your center of gravity. Whether it's enough to notice.. Who knows. But there you go. Just a low single pivot.

  6. #6
    Xtremely Moderate
    Reputation: e<i>o's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,098
    Quote Originally Posted by binary visions
    Uh oh. We've gotten into the "looks similar to..." discussion.

    The suspension is easy. It's a low single pivot (the pivot is right above the BB), with a little linkage to actuate the shock. Nothing even remotely special. The idea is that you keep all the weight towards the bottom of the frame which should lower your center of gravity. Whether it's enough to notice.. Who knows. But there you go. Just a low single pivot.

    Thanks.

    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

  7. #7
    /dev/null
    Reputation: binary visions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    Thanks.
    ...and I want you to STAY in the corner until you can sketch me the axle path of a DW-link.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,116
    The DW-Link has a perfectly vertical wheelpath. Don't need a sketch for that.
















    j/k

  9. #9
    Xtremely Moderate
    Reputation: e<i>o's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,098
    Quote Originally Posted by binary visions
    ...and I want you to STAY in the corner until you can sketch me the axle path of a DW-link.
    Can I come out now?




    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

  10. #10
    New project, TBA shortly
    Reputation: dante's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by binary visions
    Uh oh. We've gotten into the "looks similar to..." discussion.

    The suspension is easy. It's a low single pivot (the pivot is right above the BB), with a little linkage to actuate the shock. Nothing even remotely special. The idea is that you keep all the weight towards the bottom of the frame which should lower your center of gravity. Whether it's enough to notice.. Who knows. But there you go. Just a low single pivot.
    looks flexy...



  11. #11
    /dev/null
    Reputation: binary visions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    Can I come out now?

    The funny part is that the website has a perfect arc when in reality it's nowhere near that - I'm sure a better description will be provided once patents are issued!

    Quote Originally Posted by dante
    looks flexy...
    That's 'cause you haven't seen it with my green doublewides.

    Green doublewides are teh winnAr.

  12. #12
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by binary visions
    Uh oh. We've gotten into the "looks similar to..." discussion.

    The suspension is easy. It's a low single pivot (the pivot is right above the BB), with a little linkage to actuate the shock. Nothing even remotely special. The idea is that you keep all the weight towards the bottom of the frame which should lower your center of gravity. Whether it's enough to notice.. Who knows. But there you go. Just a low single pivot.
    DW tried to coin this linkage design as a 'reverse-moto-link' when he was using it on his proof-of-concept test frame the Empire (or was that Impire?).

    Surprised you didnt bring that up BV. Guess who's bringing the chip dip at the next elites meeting....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  13. #13
    /dev/null
    Reputation: binary visions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    Surprised you didnt bring that up BV. Guess who's bringing the chip dip at the next elites meeting....
    No.

    You'll just get drunk and end up peeing in it. I refuse to waste perfectly good dip like that.

    You'd think, being Canadian, that you could hold your alcohol. But nooo, five beers into the evening and you're humping the coat rack...

  14. #14
    Xtremely Moderate
    Reputation: e<i>o's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,098
    Quote Originally Posted by binary visions
    ......five beers into the evening and you're humping the coat rack...
    I am a very visually oriented person.
    In future posts, please refrain from putting such images in my head.

    Thank you.

    eio
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

  15. #15
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by binary visions
    You'd think, being Canadian, that you could hold your alcohol. But nooo, five beers into the evening and you're humping the coat rack...
    well, that has nothing to do with alcohol really

    and the beer i drink is 9.5% alc....so really it's like 10 beers
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Felpur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    798
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    well, that has nothing to do with alcohol really

    and the beer i drink is 9.5% alc....so really it's like 10 beers
    More so if your drinking with someone from UTAH.... I hear even by american standards (or my own) they have watery beer.... Boo on that.... any of you map out the that sinister in cad yet?? I cant see in my head the path on that......

  17. #17
    /dev/null
    Reputation: binary visions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by Felpur
    any of you map out the that sinister in cad yet?? I cant see in my head the path on that......
    No need.. It's no special path. Just a concentric path around that main pivot point right above the BB.

  18. #18
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by binary visions
    No need.. It's no special path. Just a concentric path around that main pivot point right above the BB.
    or in normal-people speak, a single pivot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  19. #19
    /dev/null
    Reputation: binary visions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    or in normal-people speak, a single pivot.
    Well, see, I said that once above, but apparently it wasn't sufficient so I decided to be a little less clear

  20. #20
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by binary visions
    Well, see, I said that once above, but apparently it wasn't sufficient so I decided to be a little less clear
    good strategy..lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  21. #21
    Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Reputation: Acme54321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,215
    Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    But, I'm not sure I understand that suspension design..........


    ........Zedro please explain.


    The swingarm pivot is on the seat tube. When it moves up it pulls down on the verticle linkange that is attached to the right side. That linkage is attached to the shock linkage and pulls down to acuate the shock.

  22. #22
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    i hope theres needle bearings in there, because there's some really high leverage in that linkage system.

    also their whole low mass center deal is not all that low.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  23. #23
    DOH!
    Reputation: SprungShoulders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Felpur
    More so if your drinking with someone from UTAH.... I hear even by american standards (or my own) they have watery beer.... Boo on that....
    Boo indeed. And yes, drinking grocery store beer and taking a good, long swig out of the Great Salt Lake produce very similar effects. ...Well, actually, I guess that depends how close you are to the giant copper smelter and its tailings ponds on the Lake's southern shore.



    ....If the moral majority had their way around here, we'd be drinking nothing BUT water (and without added flouride, at that), since everyone know adults can't be trusted with alcohol.

Similar Threads

  1. Marzocchi MX Comp 2004 Questions
    By Shawn595 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 06:11 PM
  2. Sinister Bikes Gears Up for Success
    By Slayer77 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 12:16 PM
  3. MX COMP and MX COMP w/ETA
    By SomeDudePPF in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 02:54 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 04:33 PM
  5. Is MX Pro Worth $90 more than MX Comp
    By RePete in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 12:03 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.