Single or Double chainring? How many teeth do you run?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Single or Double chainring? How many teeth do you run?

I ride a Bullit with a saint double chainring setup. But I'm thinking I may want to dive into a single ring setup. I have an 11-34 cassette in back which sould help when I need high torque. I'm almost definitly going with the saint crankset but the dual maxes out at 32t. I'm interested in hearing from the real serious rider on the forum in particular about what your front drive setup is like on your long travel bikes (people like WCH, ZackDank, SMT, etc).
    So I'm really asking:
    What chainrings you run?
    How many teeth?
    What you recommend?

This will be my first summer of real DH and FRing. my small Dual Rings work fine for the riding around here (can't climb for **** on a 66 anyway) but I'll be at downieville and Nothstar all the time and I'm planning a vacation to Kicking Horse in late summer.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I am running a 36/24 x 11-32. Plenty of range up and down. No big issues pedaling my 66 up the hills
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I've got a 36-24 and the extra go in a 36 is really nice compared to a 32-22 when generating speed. Plus you can still be your own shuttle.

For a single ring set up I wouldn't go larger than a 40, and I'd probably stick with a 36 or 38. You start to loose acceleration at a certain point, and while anyone can muscle a larger gear around, I find it more fun to get a bit better acceleration out of corners. It is worth the sacrifice of topping out a little earlier. Also, Downieville is not hardcore gravity fueled DH. You loose a lot of elevation, but you also have to pedal all the time.

mtbr member
    i use a single 38.. don't know what's in back. something standard, i guess

i'm pretty happy with it, though for freeriding i'd probably be a bit happier with just a 36

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    I use a 32/34 for FR and DH at Blue Mountain and on local FR trails.

mtbr member
    Interesting. I guess I'm leaning towards the 36/38t single.

Quote Originally Posted by RobsterCraw
    Interesting. I guess I'm leaning towards the 36/38t single.
    Are you going to be a total shuttle-monkey at Downieville and avoid some of the trails such as Big Boulder? If not you are going to be doing a lot of pushing with a single chainring.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    I'm not sure what the deal is with Downieville I just don't want to drop a chain I guess. If you recommend going dual ring then I'm all about trying that out.

SNOWRIDER
    Single 36t
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

mtbr member
    I'm starting to think a single 38 would be a good bet, I already push my bike a fair amount.

Master of Disaster
    Dec 2004
    I run a single 44T on my DH bike
    Smell The Glove

Quote Originally Posted by RobsterCraw
    I'm starting to think a single 38 would be a good bet, I already push my bike a fair amount.
    Depending on the routes you do at D'ville you could be pushing for several miles. A 38 x 32 low is a reasonably low gear for a 25-30 pound bike. Pretty harsh for a 35+ pounder.
    mtbtires.com

I like bikes

38T + 22T all the way

I run a 22T/38T combo with E-13 DRS and 11-34 cassette.

I run this on my Demo 9 (45 lbs) and Enduro 150 (35 lbs) and pedal everywhere

The 38T is a Truvativ Ramped and Pinned. They are the only company I have found that makes a 38T chainring that is designed for a front derailleur. None of the major distributors carrry it, so your bike shop will have to order it directly from Truvativ. Go-Ride.com is the only one that makes an attempt to do this. It shifts great too.
    Stop being so pissed and save your energy for the ride

mtbr member
    20/34 with 12/32 cassette.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychos
    I run a 22T/38T combo with E-13 DRS and 11-34 cassette.

I run this on my Demo 9 (45 lbs) and Enduro 150 (35 lbs) and pedal everywhere

The 38T is a Truvativ Ramped and Pinned. They are the only company I have found that makes a 38T chainring that is designed for a front derailleur. None of the major distributors carrry it, so your bike shop will have to order it directly from Truvativ. Go-Ride.com is the only one that makes an attempt to do this. It shifts great too.

hands up who wants to die
    22/36 w/ 11-32 cassette.

-r

...The 38T is a Truvativ Ramped and Pinned. They are the only company I have found that makes a 38T chainring that is designed for a front derailleur. None of the major distributors carrry it, so your bike shop will have to order it directly from Truvativ. Go-Ride.com is the only one that makes an attempt to do this. It shifts great too.
    You do not "NEED"a ramped and pinned chainring to use a front derailleur. Straight-cut teeth work fine, last longer and are less likely to drop the chain. You do need to finesse the shifts a bit but how often do you really shift the front on a FR/DH ride?
    mtbtires.com

I like bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    You do not "NEED"a ramped and pinned chainring to use a front derailleur. Straight-cut teeth work fine, last longer and are less likely to drop the chain. You do need to finesse the shifts a bit but how often do you really shift the front on a FR/DH ride?
    Have you tried shipting a 16 tooth spread without a ramped and pinned ring? I know for a 10-12 tooth gap, a straight ring works ok, but have never tried it for such a large gap. Also the Truvativ chainrings are cheap ($24), and seem to work well. They also make a steel version which will last a long time (but is heavier at 110 g vs 53 g for the aluminum one).

Have you tried shipting a 16 tooth spread without a ramped and pinned ring? I know for a 10-12 tooth gap, a straight ring works ok, but have never tried it for such a large gap. Also the Truvativ chainrings are cheap ($24), and seem to work well. They also make a steel version which will last a long time (but is heavier at 110 g vs 53 g for the aluminum one).
    Yes. I ran a 45/28 for years. No ramps. No pins. Shifting was like flipping a light switch. My 36 is straight-cut. The 36/24 combo shifts great.

You just can not try to shift while pedaling with full power (which you should never do anyway).
    mtbtires.com

I like bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Yes. I ran a 45/28 for years. No ramps. No pins. Shifting was like flipping a light switch. My 36 is straight-cut. The 36/24 combo shifts great.

You just can not try to shift while pedaling with full power (which you should never do anyway).
    Cool, i'll have to give it a try someday.