Single Crown Choices - 05 Session77- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Single Crown Choices - 05 Session77

Allright. I have a Completely rebuilt 06 Manitou Stance Flow 170mm-TPC. This is setup to my weight and works fine. I have the money to upgrade to a New 08 Totem 180mm. Or I have a chance to pick up a used 06 Manitou Travis-TPC 203mm. I am not a huge jumper. I do mainly down hill runs with drops. Biggest place I have seen so far is NorthStar. Livewire was fun but I just couldn't balls up and do the doubles, tables were easy. I am hoping to at least make the doubles next season. I will NEVER be doing 50foot jumps. I will mainly ride Auburn, NorthStar, and Downieville. What do you guys recommend. Is it a waist to purchase a Totem.
    I am 5'11" and 245 pounds in my birthday suit. So 255 pounds geared up. Bike is setup know with the Stance XX heavy Spring, and a Manitou 4 Way 650 Spring, 30/35% Sag front/rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Put the 203mm Travis on, with a firm spring, that will increase headangle and keep your shoulders up and allow a little more sag in the front.
    I had a 77 with a 888 ATA( now on my new session88) so the Sherman Breakout Pluss goes back on the 77.
    I've got 2 seasons of DH racing on my Session77 and has only lost to crashes. Great bike! When I added the 888 ATA it was an incredible step-up in the handling of the bike. Add the 203mm fork and you won't regret it!!

RideOn

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the input locnrock. Is it ok to run dall crown 208mm fork on the 77. I thought only the single. I am just waiting for the guy to send me his paypal account. I was reading something about the air asist for spring firmness. Was this availible on the 2006 Travis?
    I talked to Manitou and can get a little heavier spring. Guy says it has a titanium spring in it. I am sure it will be too light for my weight.
    I was running the firm spring on the stance. It would bottom out on the face of the jump at NorthStar. Thats why I switched to the XX heavy (only one availible).

Professional Troll
    travis's suck. I ran one for over a year, and I've had about every single major fork on that bike. No low speed compression, dives constantly, causing you to go over the bars. Although the plus side is that i am a PRO at going over the bars and not getting hurt now. Flexy-ish chasis. Catridge gets sticky quickly. Go with the totem, or a 66 or 888

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just take it off before you take it back to the shop if you do break the frame. I was told the same thing when I spoke to customer service.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I can get a great deal on a Fox 40. Not sure this fork would work great on this bike?

StraightOuttaCompton
    dont get a fox40. you will be doing maintenence all the time if you ride in dirt at all.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Isn't the 40 a FR/DH fork? Wasn't it designed to ride in dirt? Are they that bad? That leave sthe Totem. Wher can I find a spring for my weight. I am 255 geared up.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    the 40 will be fine... hell, you could also set the 40 up at 7" if you want a shorter travel fork...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Go For the 40.........you don't have that much maint.. I've been DH raving the last 2 years and have never heard anyone complain about Maint. except on the Boxxers. My ride buddy gets one on all his DH bikes and I have never seen a maint. problem, with the exception of 1 leaky seal ( cake to replace). That's 1 seal in 4 year of riding with him! The Totem is a good fork, but a 7" so you don't have the opt. to get the better headangle.....which will move the 77 up to the next level and take you with it!

RideOn!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    dont get a fox40. you will be doing maintenence all the time if you ride in dirt at all.

exactly. few people know that fox actually developed this fork to be used on road bikes and indoor conditions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    OK, so I picked up the 07 Fox 40. Now what do I need to get it on my bike. Will the E13 Reducers fit my Chris King Head set? I need a 1 1/8 stem, a brake mount for my Hayes HFX Mag, and a 1 1/8 Chris king lower race. Does that cover it.
    Bike is a 2005 Trek Session 77.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well thanks for all the help guys...
    Anyway, I was able to pick up the parts from Chris King to convert my 1.5 headset into a Develution headset. Cost was only $2.36 more then buying the E 13 reducer kit. Hopefully this will help someone else when they come accross the same issue.
    I am still not sure what brake adapters I need to make the Hayes work on my bike. The mounting system between the Manitou and the Fox is different. Any help would be great.
    Last edited by 07 FSRxc; 11-07-2008 at 10:27 PM.

Glad to Be Alive
    i would look for an 06 66rcx with heavy springs
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Allready picked up the fox 40, but if I don't like the feel I may try and sell/trade for a Totem/or 66RCV

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by 07 FSRxc
    Thanks for the input locnrock. Is it ok to run dall crown 208mm fork on the 77..
    Pretty sure the 77 is rated for DC forks... I've had a 888 on mine as long as I've had the bike...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Cool, thanks. I measured the two forks. The Fox is only 3/4 longer at the wheel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well, I installed the fork today. Its has a little stiction (sp), geussing its from being a new fork. Headset parts worked out perfect. Could have dropped the price by $18. The two headsets use the same bearing cap. The main differences are the lower race and upper bearing cap, 1 1/8 insert, and a 1 1/8 stem cap. Thanks for the info on which brake mount to order. The six inch was the correct size.
    So I ended up ordering two stems. A Thompson X4 50mm and a RaceFace D2 70mm. I really wanted to use the 50mm but the 70mm feels better. The fork came adjusted at
    190mm. I am going to leave it there for now. I also installed the correct spring according to the Fox spring rate guide. So now I just need to get out and ride it.
    May take some pix soon.
    Thanks for all the help...

Members who have read this thread: 0