simple dual ring chain guide - effective?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. simple dual ring chain guide - effective?

I came across this Blackspire Stinger when shopping for a dual ring chain guide.
    The design is basically the same as the LRP dual ring guide...but you don't have to pay for an additional bash guard. It retails for $25!

The boomerang fits behind the BB (I don't have ISCG tabs on my frame).
    I have had success in the past with the LRP, so I'm assuming this will work fine.
    Anyone ever try it? There are no reviews.

p.s. I know everyone says get the E13....but I am looking to stop the bleeding on the new bike budget. This seems like one area I might be able to save $100.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No, that's not phonetic
    A few guys on the Turner forum who live and ride in SW Utah run the Stingers and say they work great. Can't beat the price. Go to the Turner board and do a search for "stinger".
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

moaaar shimz
    I just bought one... it seems nice

dreaming of bottlerockets
    I'm running the Stinger with an eNVy bashguard on my hardtail. I have no complaints with the setup so far.

I'm running the regular BB mounted version (no ISCG tabs on my frame). I really had to crank down on the set screw to prevent it from moving around - more than likely it's scratched the paint on my frame, but I don't care. Also, it's a weird allen key size that is not on my Crank Bros. multitool.

Other than those issues, I've 100% happy with the setup and I haven't dropped a chain yet. It's lighter and keeps the chain on better than the Truvativ shift guide I used to run.
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

Just roll it......
    I've got one on my DH bike and it works great and I haven't dropped a chain....even on the chundery brake bumps at Whistler. BTW, they sell a version with ISCG tabs and one without on pricepoint. I now have one on my AM bike and sandwiched it between the BB and no issues yet and no dropping of the chain either including some big hucks.

One thing, I'm running a 36 T big ring with a bashguard on the big bike and I had to drill the area where the roller slides because it was a tad too short. The blackspire guys said the newer ones should accommodate up to a 38T now, but if not, it's a 5 minute mod with a drill.

EB

mtbr member
    I have one of the non-ISCG mounted stingers and it works great. There is some extra drag and noise if you try an use the inner-most ring (if you're running a dual setup) but other than that I have no complaints. And you can't beat the price.

mtbr member
    i have the e13 drs on my nomad, and i can never tighten the bottom bracket enough to prevent the chainguide from slipping on hard hits or falls. it bugs me a bit, and makes me wish that the nomad had iscg tabs.

mtbr member

Stinger = good deal

Quote Originally Posted by AltitudeDude
    I have one of the non-ISCG mounted stingers and it works great. There is some extra drag and noise if you try an use the inner-most ring (if you're running a dual setup) but other than that I have no complaints. And you can't beat the price.

sold.
    buying one tomorrow online.
    thanks for the feedback.

Look at the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by AltitudeDude
    There is some extra drag and noise if you try an use the inner-most ring (if you're running a dual setup)
    The plate is kind of thick, which is why it comes close to the chain in granny gear/ring.
    It does not necessarily touch it though, that depends on the frame. If the ISCG tabs are recessed a little bit and you have a crank with 50mm chainline (like any external BB crank) it works noise free in every gear.
    And it keeps the chain on surprisingly well.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member

chainline...

Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel
    The plate is kind of thick, which is why it comes close to the chain in granny gear/ring.
    It does not necessarily touch it though, that depends on the frame. If the ISCG tabs are recessed a little bit and you have a crank with 50mm chainline (like any external BB crank) it works noise free in every gear.
    And it keeps the chain on surprisingly well.

speaking of chainline...will the Stinger work on bikes with a 56+/- mm chainline?

It's going on a VP free....with no ISCG tabs.

EastBaySteez
    I have a HEIM 3 ring guide its preaty much the same thing but Its taperd and can take a small ring too. I havnt put it on becuase I dont have a BB tool And Im just to lazy to go less than a mile down the road so I can get help to put it on... Now THATS what you call lazy
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Mine is so good, I bought another for my Bullit. Awesome deal too!

3 "fiddy" for short
    I have both the ISCG and the BB mount. Currently I am using the ISCG and I love the way this thing works for a $20 guide. The BB mount is about 3.5mm thick, so I did have concerns about chain line. But, the good news is that newer BB mount Stingers have a thinner mounting surface (2 or2.5mm) which is great for external BB cranks. Just replace the spacer and off you go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have one that came stock with the Enduro and it has worked great. I think it's almost as good as my MRP LRP, just not as thick. I've ridden on it for a few months and it has worked well, no issues. I highly recommend getting the MRP roller though, softer and very quiet...

mtbr member
    Heim 3 works well too.
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

Look at the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    speaking of chainline...will the Stinger work on bikes with a 56+/- mm chainline?

It's going on a VP free....with no ISCG tabs.
    Yes. If it ends up sitting too far towards the middle of the frame, just add spacers under the roller or between the ISCG mounts and the plate.
    I have a HEIM 3 ring guide its preaty much the same thing but Its taperd and can take a small ring too
    the stinger takes a small 22-26t ring and a middle ring up too about 36t + bashguard. The Heim3 can take a full set off 3 chainrings, but most people here run 2 rings + bashguard anyways.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs