Shuttling with a 4Runner- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Shuttling with a 4Runner

I have a 97 Toyota 4Runner and just had an epiphany (or what I thought was an epiphany) several days ago after being frustrated with only being able to carry 2 bikes on my hitch rack. On my model of the 4Runner I can control the rear window of the car and can lower it completely down so that I end up having what looks like the back of a pickup truck with a low, open backed canopy on. This sparked the idea of making a pickup truck style shuttling system, turning my beloved 4Runner into the ultimate shuttle vehicle with full backrow seats and a covered top for the bikes. I must admit I have not yet done measurements for whether the seattube on my bike, or other bikes for that matter, would clear the roof of the car but wanted to get some feedback/advice on my idea. I figure I must not have been the first one to have thought of this and was wondering if anyone else had insight into whether it works, and if so, any tips/pictures of what they worked out.

Commit or eat sh!t
    we do it all the time, just use a blanket or something

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Good, now I feel like I stumbled onto a gold mine that everyone already knew about.

Glad to hear it works though. No clearance issues at all?

mtbr member
    It will work but there are drawbacks. The bikes are harder to load than with a truck. You will also get a ton of dust in your rig on gravel. Sell your current rack and get a North Shore Rack NRS-4 or NRS-6. Bikes don't belong in the car IMO.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

SamIAm
    make sure you take all the seatposts out. makes its a buttload easier getting them in and out. and get a big blanket/rug to keep ur rear end from getting all ruined, or keep ur rear end from ruining ur bikes. either way you want to look at it. keep them apart.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

mtbr member
    Did it in my 95 runner and and my 98 4runner had a saris cyclon pro hitch rack as well as loaded 4 in the back so with 2 bike extension I could have easily shuttled 8 bikes... 6 was the max didnt have the 2 add on for the saris..

My 95 runner
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Bullcrew has had one of EVERYTHING, lol
    I'm GNARcissistic

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Demodude
    *Three

Have you seen the guy's Canfield collection?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    You might have to take the seat posts out to clear the back. I have an 03 Blazer that we regularly use to shuttle

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity
    It will work but there are drawbacks. The bikes are harder to load than with a truck. You will also get a ton of dust in your rig on gravel. Sell your current rack and get a North Shore Rack NRS-4 or NRS-6. Bikes don't belong in the car IMO.

The only people who think like this are kooks who have cars that are more valuable than their bikes, I could never trust someone who lived their life like that!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by weedkilla1
    The only people who think like this are kooks who have cars that are more valuable than their bikes, I could never trust someone who lived their life like that!
    Cramming muddy bikes inside the car is retarded even if it is a beater.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    thats what a liner is for retard

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitsc
    thats what a liner is for retard
    No, that is what a rack is for. You guys are killing me.

Seriously, the ultimate shuttle vehicle involves one of these.

http://www.northshoreracks.com/NSR%206-bike.htm
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    [QUOTE=DJ Giggity]No, that is what a rack is for. You guys are killing me.

Seriously, the ultimate shuttle vehicle involves one of these.

http://www.northshoreracks.com/NSR%206-bike.htm[/QUOTE

I can see where your coming from but, why pay 500$ for rack when i can load them out the back for free

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Ya a $500 rack is out of the question for me. They look sweet but I'm kind of a low-budget operation so any money going towards biking is going into my bike.

I'm just going to have to test it out when its not too dusty, and since I live in the PNW that shouldn't be too hard. Thanks for all of the input.

Has anyone actually set up a shuttling system in their SUV that is more than just throwing the blanket over the rear and throwing the bike over the blanket? If you wouldn't mind sharing ideas or pictures it would be much appreciated. If not I think I have a pretty good starting point for a shuttle car experiment.

mtbr member
    @ the two posts above

Now we are talking. I was only saying that there could be drawbacks. It is kind of like riding a walmart bike. If that is all you have, it is way better to ride the piss out of it till you can get a new bike than to sit on the sidelines. So, hanging the bikes on the tailgate of the 4-runner will definitely work and in some cases it will work great.

If it ever goes horribly wrong, I hope that you guys will think about this thread and chuckle. One time, near Tahoe, I left the canopy door open on my truck while driving on a dusty road to a camping spot. My shyte and sleeping area were covered in 1/2" of the finest powdered dust you have ever seen. I am a dirtbag but this was way too much even for me. Even after attempts to clean it I lived with that mistake a week.

If you mostly wondering about a cover for the tailgate, the Dakine tailgate covers are pretty cheap. If that is too much, look at the design and make one out of duct tape and thrift store comforters. I once saw a crew using an old gym mat. It seemed to be working pretty well. Lots of things will work.
    - Albert Einstein

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Demodude
    get a t-2 hitch rack too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0